Sign in to follow this  
Core7

Nuclear area

I don't think a nuclear plant is the way to go, maybe a large border post complex in the far Northwest of the map which was hit with VX [remains in the area for a long time, used as an area denial weapon] in an effort to stop the infected getting out, the contaminated area could cover a few square km and have maybe a village, a border post and some military stuff perhaps.

Skin contact with VX is lethal so a full NBC suit would be required, and a suit puncture, ie a gunshot or possibly a zombie hit would mean exposure to the gas.

Edited by a_ruttle

this sounds allot like rust?! maybe an island that has complete radioactivity, there are military loots up there and stuff?!

UTES. We could put all this crap on Utes!

That damn island was supposed to be part of the map by now, and It's pretty useless aside from an airfield in terms of accessibility. May as well make it a wasteland of industrial and nuclear plants

Edited by mullraugh

I like all the ideas that OP gave. If some parts of the map are inaccessible due to radiation it will add a whole new aspect to the game. Radiation zones will require players to wear clothing which will protect them from radiation but it will leave them exposed to bullets. Players in radiation zones will avoid conflict at all costs because just 1 bullet hole in their hazmat suits will open them to infection with radiation poisoning. Players who are wearing hazmat protection can run away from heavily armored bandits by running into the radiation zone. Players will have to watch out for mutated zeds and animals who have adapted to living in the radiation zone and have even grown new weapons because only 1 bite or tear in the player's clothing can open the player to getting radiation poisoning.
There-fore players in the radiation zone would be more likely to work together due to the harsh environment. 

New types of animals and zeds would be amazing to see and it will work lore-wise as well since this is a virus like every virus it will mutate. This virus can mutate it's host's body in order to increase it's chances of spreading much like in "The Strain" 
http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Guillermo-del-Toro-The-Strain-vampire-with-proboscis.jpg

http://i2.cdnds.net/14/14/618x971/comics-the-strain-the-night-eternal.jpg

http://www.pagetopremiere.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/thestrain01.png

I agree with OP on the matter that the world of DayZ doesn't look post-apocalyptic enough. Some changes should be done.

I like all the ideas that OP gave. If some parts of the map are inaccessible due to radiation it will add a whole new aspect to the game. Radiation zones will require players to wear clothing which will protect them from radiation but it will leave them exposed to bullets. Players in radiation zones will avoid conflict at all costs because just 1 bullet hole in their hazmat suits will open them to infection with radiation poisoning. Players who are wearing hazmat protection can run away from heavily armored bandits by running into the radiation zone. Players will have to watch out for mutated zeds and animals who have adapted to living in the radiation zone and have even grown new weapons because only 1 bite or tear in the player's clothing can open the player to getting radiation poisoning.
There-fore players in the radiation zone would be more likely to work together due to the harsh environment. 

New types of animals and zeds would be amazing to see and it will work lore-wise as well since this is a virus like every virus it will mutate. This virus can mutate it's host's body in order to increase it's chances of spreading much like in "The Strain" 
http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Guillermo-del-Toro-The-Strain-vampire-with-proboscis.jpg

http://i2.cdnds.net/14/14/618x971/comics-the-strain-the-night-eternal.jpg

http://www.pagetopremiere.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/thestrain01.png

I agree with OP on the matter that the world of DayZ doesn't look post-apocalyptic enough. Some changes should be done.

Nope. Definite nope. Nuclear power plants are very expensive to maintain. With this current layout, it's not going to work.

You either put it on the coast and have a nuclear power plant being waaay too close to coastal towns, or you put it in the middle and have half the map inaccessible without a suit (which would probably spawn in military areas, which, with the exception of one or two, would be covered in radiation. People would fight, and nobody would get the big loot apart from people lucky enough to get a suit and leave before they die. Even if the person who does find the suit survive the massive killfest, they would probably be murdered upon getting to the big loot zones from people that got there before them.)

And besides, it doesn't fit with the atmosphere at all, and it would become another Fallout/S.T.A.L.K.E.R/Metro type games.

Just stumbled across this thread. I like the idea of a small area with radiation. But I also think that a nuclear power plant wouldn't be that realistic and would also have to cover a huge area of the map to be even remotely believeable.

So how about a crashed train that transported nuclear waste instead? With that kind of source the area wouldn't have to be all that big to be believeable. A crashed convoy of trucks might also work. Such an area could be somewhere near the border of the map and contain one big-ish town to make it interesting.

Since that kind of vehicle wouldn't be destroyed out of nowhere there might be the need of a plausible explaination to the player. I picture something like a bridge that colapsed with that transport vehicle on top of it and some of the containers got damaged and poluted the area. The surrounding of the crashsite could look like an ambush happened, a couple of desperate survivors saw a heaviliy guarded transport and thought there would be supplies so they sabotaged a bridge or the tracks. Some corpses of survivors and military guards aswell as traces of a fire fight could make the whole scenario plausible.

Thoughts?

I like it but maybe some were distant maybe it can radiation a small town but I don't want it to turn the whole map to a radiation zone.

I like it but maybe some were distant maybe it can radiation a small town but I don't want it to turn the whole map to a radiation zone.

+1

Radiation would be a pretty nice feature.

Skalisty Island would be a good spot, but it should be worth getting there (high Loot area or something like that).

Simple, put it off the map in the water make a new island and that's how the radiation didn't radiate everything. However the few towns that are close have small and increasing ammounts the closer you get.

Sup mates,

looking at Chernarus, a nuclear power plant doesn`t really fit in there imo, what would they need it for, most of the map is heavily rural, there`s not a big enough demand in electricity for this map to warrant a nuclear power plant.

But, if people are so interested in the threat of radiation, how about a nuclear waste disposal somewhere in Chernarus, make it a salt mine or something.

It`s  pretty realistic seeing how this is how some nuclear waste is actually stored, the radiation threat would be there, a mine would be a nerve-wrecking place to scavenge making it an interesting experience, and it would fit with the rural appearance of Chernarus, place it somewhere away from the bigger cities close to some mountainous areas and it would fit with the overall appearance of Chernarus.

To me that seems like a good compromise, as I personally think it might be interesting to have to deal with the threat of radiation in contrast to some high value loot, and also keeping with what Chernarus is, as in a place that doesn`t warrant a nuclear power plant, especially seeing how I wouldn`t be able to find any place on the map where it could be placed without heavily influencing the whole map.

Regards,

Slpy

I really like the idea of it but having it cleaned up like Chernobyl is. To my understanding Chernobyl is quite safe to be around even within the exclusion zone, the trouble comes in when you go to the reactors themselves or places that were not cleaned after the accident. This would mean that most the map would be safe except in the reactors where you could get some cool rare loot and it would be a cool thing that you could only go once or twice a character.

Nuclear power plants are pretty huge. Remember it's not just the main building, but all the power transformers and peripheral buildings and all that nonsense. Plus, yeah, nuclear power plants wouldn't be abundant in a mostly rural area that, for the most part, doesn't even have access to plumbing.

Would be cool, though. I'm a big fan of STALKER. I expect we'll see something like this in a custom map.

• Like 1

Would make sense, based on a sub diversion of ArmA 2 lore

https://youtu.be/xABV5p8LKyM

Since DayZ has no official lore (as a side note, I really wish that someone at BI would just take 30 minutes to write a lore for DayZ. I'm tired of the whole make it up thing, all that does is lead to disagreements and misinformation) then this wouldn't go against it in any way.

Find the area where the nuke went off in the campaign ending, and put the area around it as a radiation zone for say one kilometer. Set up a fence around the small town that was nearby, it can become the Pripyat of DayZ

I just finished reading this thread.  Apparently, there are a number of people who think contracting radiation poisoning is similar to how cooties work.

Edited by Parazight
  • Like 1

i'd really like to see an area like this in the game, maybe a new portion of the map you can enter only with the right anti radiation equipment