Sign in to follow this  
Core7

Nuclear area

I appreciate and respect the thoughts of the OP, my concern is simply that this concept seems somewhat...played. Its been done to death in other games and I understand that the whole "zombie apocalypse" thing has as well but the concept of survival and doing what you HAVE to in order to survive is what makes Dayz unique. So my question is, in a survival game why in the name of Poseidon's watery butt-hole would you purposefully go wandering into a radioactively saturated area?

to make it even more interesting, people would need to find an (extremely rare) Geiger counter device in order to be able to enter the nuclear area anyway. the problem is if they dont get back from the area in time they'd die anyway. people without a Geiger die in a matter of seconds

note: i am aware a Geiger does not protect from radiation. but this could make things more interesting. just like in (one of the dayz) mod(s) where there was a device available against those electro-magnetic storms and you survived when you had one with you

I don't think a country that depends heavily on agriculture for an economy might have spare coins for a nuclear power plant.

It used to be part of the USSR, so it would be quite likely to have one back when it was part of one of the 2 superpowers in the world...

Geiger counter or radiation meter does not protect you, but it tells you when to back of, and the geiger sound is pretty creepy. 
We need to see more buildings/area's that in real life have alot of life and people in and around them, that in this world just give us a strange abandoned feeling when its not.

If they could build a new city in the north that give it a more abandoned feeling with some buildings mentioned above with animal life that you can hunt and be hunted. Reason to stay together.

"Meanwhile, Reddit user JDCole posted this cool concept for contaminated zones in Chernarus, which players would only be able to traverse safely using gas masks or other protective clothing. Irradiated zones would contain high-value loot, but would also put the player at risk of contracting radiation sickness.

Dev team member Brian Hicks replied to the post saying that the team has discussed similar ideas and hinted that it just might make it into the game sometime in the unforeseeable future."

Well, first of all I would like to say: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Second, I do like the idea of a city with some more "life" to it (I would leave out the radiation thing, though). I've always been interested in the whole Chernobyl disaster and have seen many pictures of Prypiat. 

Some examples of buildings that imo could be added (if they aren't there yet, sorry haven't found everything yet ;) ):

- (Empty) swimming pool

- Business centre (+ large squares)

- Shopping mall

- Amusement park

- Train yard

- Police station

- Prison

- Museum

- Courthouse

- Town hall

- Toll booths

- Hotels/Hostels

- Churches that you can get into

- Crypts

- Graveyards (pretty cool place for zombie spawn as well :P )

- Parks (with playground) (creaking sounds from a broken swing swaying in the wind is always creepy :P )   

- Castle ruins... Just, really, castle ruins. Not just one. Several. 

- And caves as I stated in one of my own suggestions posts.

Cheers!

http://distractify.com/culture/arts/the-most-spectacular-abandoned-places-in-the-world/

It used to be part of the USSR, so it would be quite likely to have one back when it was part of one of the 2 superpowers in the world...

Well then the Chernarussian would have demolished the thing. It's hard and expensive to maintain a nuclear power plant plus the import of uranium.

A nuclear plant requires water. Where on the map could you put a giant radiated area near water that wouldn't totally disrupt the existing material? It would have to be on the coast but then that would bring it too close to some of the largest cities. Unless they release another map I just don't see this working.

• Like 2

I would love to see some hotspots like the Airfield and the big cities are damaged by nuclear or poisen gas. So you need special equip to enter them. But i also would like to see acid rain and stuff like this. I mean maybe there destroyed this places because there thought that this would stop the infection. But the infected people become no damage thru the nuclear/poisen gas explosion/s.

I don't think a country that depends heavily on agriculture for an economy might have spare coins for a nuclear power plant. 

The classic Soviet big project. They built nuclear plants all over the place, and massive hydroelectric dams out in the middle of no where. Why not?

We have the new town of Svetlojarsk that could be a nuclear town. Cherno maybe. 

An idea could be that some trains on the map has derailed with poison of some kind or just radiation. These trains got stockpile of food, rare and uncommond clothing, equitment, parts etc and require gasmasks or even suits to come close to. I feel the game needs that variation and deepness.

and if you want to enter this area you would need radiation pills and gasmask

i like it, i like it a lot!

i want something like this:

_57157929_manchester_apocalypse_wheel.jp

would be nice, but maybe in another map.

Edited by DMentMan

I think what really needs to be emphasised here is save all this for mods. If you want it, have it, but it needs to be implemented in mods, not the base game. ARMA 3 wasn't designed with the devs saying "wouldn't it be cool if we had zombies"?

So make a mod instead and add content, keeping the unrealistic stuff out of the base game.

For everyone talking about the danger of radiation, remember that irradiation in the human body causes cancers; these are generally a long-term threat, as in months to years. You won't lose health "per second." There isn't much point adding radiation to the game simply because it's not an immediate threat. It isn't fucking acid/lava. 

high enough acute doses can prevent neurons from firing correctly and lead to instant death. If you were to pull out a fuel assembly from a nuclear power plant and place it on the wall and run at it from 50 feet away. You will die before touching it. So yeah, you can die instant or be affected within a short amount of time.

Edited by Core7

You can hear me crying? Lovely, would you like me to tell you what I'm wearing next? What a deep and constructive rebuttal -- "look guys, he's mad!"

I, as you, think radioactive fallout and the concept of Chernobyl survival cool, but you can always go play Fallout or S.T.A.L.K.E.R.; DayZ is its own game with a very, very large amount of content already. It shouldn't be just about radioactivity being added in the future. It should not be a part of the base game ever.

It doesn't fit with Chernarus's farming environment, it's going to take a large amount of added content to an already huge game [Geiger counters, hazmat suits, decontamination chambers], and your suggestion is also simply unrealistic. Ever heard of cancer, a long-term illness caused by radiation? That's what you have to worry about, not a "health drop per second because you sit still". Radioactivity is a long term problem, I'm talking years, and players in DayZ barely live one day on average [even less in the mod], and sitting still makes no difference anyway when you're in a radioactive environ.

You've been utterly demolished m8, pwease don't cwy tho :'o

What, only wealthy countries can be nuked in Arma 2? YOU have been obliterated, go play Arma 2 and see bit for yourself.

Why nuke such a poor country though? What exactly would there be to be gained by nuking a Second World country like Chernarus that you couldn't do with a conventional military force?
Must have been a pretty miniscule nuke then to only cover such a small area without destroying and irradiating the whole map, m88, considering the early Hiroshima explosion took out an 11 kilometre squared area- nearly half of Chernarus, not considering modern nuclear technology. A modern nuke would have wiped out the entire play map. 
And if we're saying that only part of the nuked area makes up the map, then there would be no point in going into a smoking crater anyway, because everything inside it would be obliterated, and going inside a nuclear area was the point of OP so that you could find nice things. If there's no reason to go into an irradiated area, you're just making an entire corner of the map useless for no reason, which sort of defeats the purpose of "guys open world zombie apocalypse sim with huge map!"

Before you try and be cool, you need to learn some common sense.

high enough acute doses can prevent neurons from firing correctly and lead to instant death. If you were to pull out a fuel assembly from a nuclear power plant and place it on the wall and run at it from 50 feet away. You will die before touching it. So yeah, you can die instant or be affected within a short amount of time.

And so you're saying that for some reason all the best military grade loot somehow wound up 50 feet away from a nuclear power plant's fuel assembly? Wtf? Because otherwise, there's no reason to add this because you're making a part of the map deadly to players, and yet giving them no reason to go there; so unless you can somehow justify all the sniper rifles or all the grenade launchers being in a nuclear power plant close to a fuel assembly, players will always go elsewhere for loot.

Also you've still ignored many of the very good reasons for this not being in the base game and being left to modders. If you want it so bad, maybe you can mod it in yourself someday.

If you think the developers are going to put it in anyway and that it's confirmed, why bother making this thread?

Why nuke such a poor country though? What exactly would there be to be gained by nuking a Second World country like Chernarus that you couldn't do with a conventional military force?

Must have been a pretty miniscule nuke then to only cover such a small area without destroying and irradiating the whole map, m88, considering the early Hiroshima explosion took out an 11 kilometre squared area- nearly half of Chernarus, not considering modern nuclear technology. A modern nuke would have wiped out the entire play map.

And if we're saying that only part of the nuked area makes up the map, then there would be no point in going into a smoking crater anyway, because everything inside it would be obliterated, and going inside a nuclear area was the point of OP so that you could find nice things. If there's no reason to go into an irradiated area, you're just making an entire corner of the map useless for no reason, which sort of defeats the purpose of "guys open world zombie apocalypse sim with huge map!"

Before you try and be cool, you need to learn some common sense.

Beeeecause there was a war and mistakes were made. Stop posting until you play the campaign. Then youll see for yourself, all the Armathemed ( DayZ is armathemed, look around you) its all connected.

Beeeecause there was a war and mistakes were made. Stop posting until you play the campaign. Then youll see for yourself, all the Armathemed ( DayZ is armathemed, look around you) its all connected.

Yeah, but it's not canon, because if you look all around you, you can also see zombies, which I may remind you are not present in ARMA II.

Edit: Stop posting until you learn common sense.

Edited by bobotype3334