Sign in to follow this  
Core7

Nuclear area

Hey, 

First of, I will say that Dayz is a great game with a lot of potential, but when I play, I know that the creepy element from other than players is not there. 
What about making a part of the map if not a city with a nuclear plant that went with the apocalypse and has radiation within a range, and that this city has a lot military equipment/Loot or even plane parts in it that makes it attractive to get into, but requires clothing against radiation and instruments. Maybe some even more scary zombies or animals that make the experience even more sinister. 
I think that cities are in far too good condition that does not make it scary enough and I think a city that can be inspired by Chernobyl that is much more overgrown with parks, mall and nuclear radiation would put the game in a new lvl. 

What do you guys think?

chernobyl-amusement-park.jpeg

nuclear%20photography%20chernobyl%20powe

6433-739503.jpg

chernobyl-diaries12.jpg

• Like 25

If this was implimented, half of the current map would be unaccessible for most players due to radiation, later as a separate map, why not?

• Like 18

Radioactivity is confirmed but not the nuclearplant +1

Edited by valtsu99

I don't think a country that depends heavily on agriculture for an economy might have spare coins for a nuclear power plant. 

Edited by AntonioAJC
  • Like 5

It make sense that a power plant would go under in a Apocalypt like this and it would give the game a new dimension. Ofc the radiation area should not be bigger then the city and you must have the right cothing and equitment to enter and if you stay to long or go in without right cothing you will be sick, lose visibility and evencualy die. But with right cloting and maybe a radiation meter you will be fine.

The point is to raise the "scare" lvl and ofc impliment radioactivity with the right enviorment. Maybe even a city that is half nuced in desperation of counter the zombies in an early stage.

• Like 6

Not sure about the radiation, but I would love the map to lock more like this.

• Like 1

Radiation in my opinion would be a great feature in the game. It would add something else other than hunger and thirst that you would need to take care of, thus enriching the gameplay experience. They could either add a nuclear powerplant in the northern cities they are currently implementing (those closer to the border of Russia. It would make sense, if they make those city a bit more urban and everything, to find some outdated nuclear powerplant similar to the one in Chernobyl or in Sosnovy Bor). It would have to cover a big enough zone though, require you to have special outfits and equipment to travel there, and maybe even add mutants to make it more difficult to survive out there (I do see it becomes kind of a rip off from Stalker...).

If people don't like the powerplant idea, the nukes is also an option (remember when in Arma II an ICBM was sent on Chernarus and your helicopter crashed? Where did all that go?). If it didn't come from the war fought in Arma II, the nukes could at least be seen as a last hope to eradicate the virus threat.

You have my beans!

• Like 2

Thank you, VonHabdeketen. 

You are seeing my point. It would be perfect to see a powerplant and in my opinion it would fit perfect in to this map. The closest we get in real life to somthing abounded in this scale is, chernobyl. I can just visualize myself walking in the zone with radioactivity and hear the sound of the radio activ meter going of as you try to get closer so you can get some really uncommond parts for your military truck or helicopter. Nobody can camp there becouse then you will die. Maybe do that you cant sit still for more than 30 sec before you get a health drop per second. And if you get hit and your clothing get damage? Just the imagination is the limit.

• Like 1

Radiation in my opinion would be a great feature in the game. It would add something else other than hunger and thirst that you would need to take care of, thus enriching the gameplay experience.

You know something else you need to take care of, other than hunger and thirst? NOT DYING FROM BEING RAPED TO DEATH BY ZOMBIES in the FUCKING ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. That should be the focus of the game, zombies, not fucking radiation [and the planned scope of the game is very large already, including hunting, foraging, base building, traps, crafting, vehicles on top of everything else; the devs don't need more to work on].

I'm in agreement with So Sexy. If it gets done, this should be made a dedicated Chernobyl world map, an entire different world with its own servers in the vein of Takistan.

• Like 3

I can just visualize myself walking in the zone with zombies and hear the sound of the zombies' screams as I try to get closer so I can get some really uncommon parts for my military truck or helicopter. Nobody can camp there because then they will die from the zombies which are fucking everywhere. Maybe do that you cant sit still for more than 30 sec before you get a zombie on top of you that smelled you out. And if you get hit and your clothing gets damaged? Maybe you get diseased due to the fucking zombies? Just the scope of the game is the limit.

Fixed that for you.

Edited by bobotype3334
  • Like 9

Bobo, I can hear you crying. 

I am not saying that they are going to drop all they have planed, but do this slowly at the same time or after. This is just what i would love to see in the game in the future.

I, as you, would love to se big swarm of hundreds of zombies wandering randomly around the map.

Bobo, I can hear you crying. 

I am not saying that they are going to drop all they have planed, but do this slowly at the same time or after. This is just what i would love to see in the game in the future.

I, as you, would love to se big swarm of hundreds of zombies wandering randomly around the map.

You can hear me crying? Lovely, would you like me to tell you what I'm wearing next? What a deep and constructive rebuttal -- "look guys, he's mad!"

I, as you, think radioactive fallout and the concept of Chernobyl survival cool, but you can always go play Fallout or S.T.A.L.K.E.R.; DayZ is its own game with a very, very large amount of content already. It shouldn't be just about radioactivity being added in the future. It should not be a part of the base game ever.

It doesn't fit with Chernarus's farming environment, it's going to take a large amount of added content to an already huge game [Geiger counters, hazmat suits, decontamination chambers], and your suggestion is also simply unrealistic. Ever heard of cancer, a long-term illness caused by radiation? That's what you have to worry about, not a "health drop per second because you sit still". Radioactivity is a long term problem, I'm talking years, and players in DayZ barely live one day on average [even less in the mod], and sitting still makes no difference anyway when you're in a radioactive environ.

You've been utterly demolished m8, pwease don't cwy tho :'o

Bobo. i just laugh when i see you take this so personal. Srly, go to bed. If you take this as a victory, be my guest ;)

Bobo. i just laugh when i see you take this so personal. Srly, go to bed. If you take this as a victory, be my guest ;)

I was making fun of your whole "I can hear you crying" thing, Core. Do you really think I take it personally? Do you know what the word means?

Hey, 

First of, I will say that Dayz is a great game with a lot of potential, but when I play, I know that the creepy element from other than players is not there. 
What about making a part of the map if not a city with a nuclear plant that went with the apocalypse and has radiation within a range, and that this city has a lot military equipment/Loot or even plane parts in it that makes it attractive to get into, but requires clothing against radiation and instruments. Maybe some even more scary zombies or animals that make the experience even more sinister. 
I think that cities are in far too good condition that does not make it scary enough and I think a city that can be inspired by Chernobyl that is much more overgrown with parks, mall and nuclear radiation would put the game in a new lvl. 

What do you guys think?

Go play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. instead, it's a great game.

Edit: And trust me, heh, it does not have much loot at all.

Edited by DayzForumer

Where would the radiation come from? There are no nuclear powerplants, and there hasn't been a nuclear war... 

Rickenbacker: Read the post before posting.

• Like 1

The thing about this is: The community is really split into two groups:

Group 1 "realism":

Wants to keep the game as close to reality as possible. Only items and features which exist in real life (well, except zombies obviously).

Group 2 "supernatural":

Wants the game to include "supernatural" elements like we know them for example from the STALKER or METRO series. Radiation zones, "artifacts", mutants, ghosts, unexplainable stuff and so on. Maybe even crazy weapons like we know them from the BORDERLANDS series.

This debate has been going on for years. Personally, I think both sides have their pros and cons, I think both "conceps" could make great games.

I think the answer here is modding.

For example, there is this guy called "meshcarver" who is currently creating a large, STALKER-inspired island called "Nova Zona" for Arma 3, check his really impressive work on his blog or see this image gallery of the new models he created. 

I bet as soon as the standalone is open for modding we will see several teams working on different "supernatural" mods. Keep calm, it'll all happen. ;) 

• Like 3

DerDuderich: 

yeah, i can see that it is a group of people that want it to be plane and simple and others that want it more scary. But i think my topic fits the "realism group" Because it is no supernatural about it. Radiation will be a problem for eastern countries with nucklear power that nobody in the end cant Controll. 

And i dont say that we are going to put ghosts or freaks in the game either, but maybe wolf packs in a place like this to get a contrast on the map where you will be afraid of the enviorment and not only the players. 

And ofc, i would love to see huge groups of zombies wandering around the map randomly  through towns and forest, when your only hope is to hide or that people stand to gether to fight them off, but that is not the topic and i am sure it will come. 

In my opinion i feel a nucklear powerplant (do not need to be huge) would fit in this map in the north where the two borders Russia would ask. But this is just a thought.

I heavily doubt that even the most poorly equipped nuclear powerplants lack an automatic shutdown system... most nuclear accidents as far as I know was because of the operators, not the lack of them.

I don't really like the idea of radiation, however. It's kind of hard to include in a realistic way, and what if you didn't have a geiger counter? Would you just walk blindly into the radiation?

What I would like, instead, is some kind of large oil-fired powerplant. You get all the monstrous structures and gigantic turbine halls, and such, without having to care for implementing something like radiation.

Or how about, if we do implement nuclear powerplants, we make it safely shut down? I don't think I've ever seen a game with a nuclear powerplant that is undamaged...

• Like 2

Well, first of all I would like to say: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Second, I do like the idea of a city with some more "life" to it (I would leave out the radiation thing, though). I've always been interested in the whole Chernobyl disaster and have seen many pictures of Prypiat. 
Some examples of buildings that imo could be added (if they aren't there yet, sorry haven't found everything yet ;) ):

- (Empty) swimming pool

- Business centre (+ large squares)

- Shopping mall

- Amusement park

- Train yard

- Police station

- Prison

- Museum

- Courthouse

- Town hall

- Toll booths

- Hotels/Hostels

- Churches that you can get into

- Crypts

- Graveyards (pretty cool place for zombie spawn as well :P )

- Parks (with playground) (creaking sounds from a broken swing swaying in the wind is always creepy :P )   
- Castle ruins... Just, really, castle ruins. Not just one. Several. 
- And caves as I stated in one of my own suggestions posts.

Cheers!