Sign in to follow this  
DerDuderich

Fix the voicechat quality!

You can hear the human voice over pretty large distances. Assuming there is no loud background noise (environment) and if the wind is right you can hear people talk over a couple hundreds of meters (if they are not whispering).

This is why we have the ingame voicechat.

I would really enjoy if everyone was using the vociechat (and only the voicechat) because it would add so much realism... you'd have to be quiet and loot a city without unnecessary talking, you could "spy" on people and listen to their plans, you could be warned by their voices when you approach other players. Oh, and talking could attract zombies or scare wild animals. There are endless possibilitys.

Now there is one problem: The quality of the voicechat... sucks is not really good.

When playing with my friends we use Teamspeak 3 because the chat quality is like 500 times higher. But we all agree that we would prefer the ingame chat if it was working at least at a "usable" level...

I'm having a great internet connection and we're using good gaming-hardware (Logitech G930 Surroundheadsets), but talking ingame is rediculous. I can't understand half of what my friends are saying (and they're talking my native language!).

Yesterday we met a nice guy speaking english with a stronger accent (australia?) - we had to leave him because even though theoretically we all speak decent english we were NOT able to understand what he was trying to tell us (due to poor quality).

Now whenever we meet someone that is not a bandit we invite the guys to join our teamspeak server.

I KNOW this is alpha. I agree there is more important stuff do do at the moment.

But at some point the whole voicechat needs a complete rework. The sooner the better. :)

Edited by DerDuderich
  • Like 5

I would never choose in-game VOIP over skype, teamspeak etc. ,simply because I cant be heard, and the VOIP distance is 50m.Voice quality is fine, since you can understand what others are saying without any difficulties, some people just have bad headsets, and cannot speak english properly.

• Like 1

At least the voicechat's quality is not like the one on PlanetSide 2...

• Like 1

I have noticed it seems very directional, which is good and bad.... any improvement would be welcome but it does work fairly well IMO.

now with my real life friends/family I'm going to use vent/steam or what ever for a few reasons.

1) unlimited range, most the time we have to hike a ways to meet up and we need to figure out where each other are and where to meet, also if we get  out of "shouting" distance we can still talk and meet up again. a few in game solutions that have been brought up before is to make in game walkie talkies common (I am not even sure if they are in SA? I've never seen them) maybe even have you spawn with one

2) as you pointed out you can (even now) be over heard, while this can be "fun".BUT so long as you can use outside programs most people will do that if they are with a established group so they can't be overheard and are more stealthy. while 3rd party programs will probably stay the main way for groups to communicate, one thing that might work in conjunction with 2way radios is to have a "whisper mode" (maybe even a attachment like the swat throat mics). what I mean is you would be whispering into the 2way so your voice would be barely audible in "vicinity chat" but loud and clear over the 2way.   

3) the directional nature of it, while it's nice for being able to tell where the person talking to you is in relation to yourself, it makes talking to people almost require you be facing one another (this is some what realistic tho I think the game may dampen the sound to much when your not facing one another) this may need tweeked some and maybe part of what your talking about? again for grouping purposes having two way radios should alleviate this as the "source" would be clipped to you (and maybe even in a ear bud, another possible attachment)

I like the voice chat , although it does seem to get terrible when there is any Desync , lag or if you are trying to talk while running in front of someone without looking behind you , but even then you can shout into your mic and they usually hear, it's just pretty bad when it's laggy it starts to get all choppy.

If they fix the quality of the voice it might depend your internet connection or them internet connection so it might be still bad