Sign in to follow this  
spartichris

Dayz Experience System

Dayz Experience System   

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this?

• Yes I like this
    • No I don't like this

Suggestions like this have been discussed and talked about before. However I think mine is unique and practical. Please give me a chance and bear with me people.

Main Skill Classes

Medical

Medical sub-branch= Medicine&Surgical. (Suggestions!)

Mechanical

Mechanical sub-branch= Firearms>Vehicle>General Items (Suggestions!)

Cooking

Cooking has no sub-branch. (Suggestions!)

When player starts you have no skills but can perform any of the actions a regardless of skill level.

That is you have a very low chance of being successful at the action.

That is if you have successfully completed the action you will not have done it with good quality.

For example, if you were to sew an article of clothing in order to repair it the quality of the repair will not have been as good

as it could be if the player had done the action many times before hand. Also an inexperienced player will have used more material

to perform the repair than an experienced player would have.

This entire system is to be based only on percentages. A roll of the dice if you will.

Here is a pseudo-code demonstration.

Start

Has playerX preformed this action before?

If yes roll percentage between playerSkill

{Where player skill is 40 out of 100 roll between 25% and 40%}

If no roll between 0% and 5%

End

Imagine finding a compass. The condition is "Damaged". As with optical scopes the glass of the compass is busted in such a way that the dial is completely obscured

Imagine finding another compass whoes internals are completely damaged due to moisture. Yet the glass is in mint condition.

Open inventory right click on the newly found compass. Drag screw-driver on compass. Select remove part. Select glass. Based on your skill level you are successful

Yet you have cracked a small portion of the glass. Glass condition becomes "worn". Glass is still useable. Glass is in your inventory. Drag glass onto other compass.

Select replace. Based on a roll of percentage you have successfully installed new glass. Now you have a compass.

So now that you understand the gist of things I will rock the boat a little if you don't mind.

Devs I'm talking to you. (morpheus.jpg). Ahem. What if instead of making the percentage of "Spawned" items lower and lower you instead

implement a system such as this? Think about it. You are killing quite a few birds with this one stone. First you give players more of a reason to

care about the life of the character which would impact Dayz in what I believe a very positive way. Secondly you add a whole new layer of depth and immersion

to gameplay. Lastly you reduce the amount of kos because of the sheer amount of play time it will take to become fluent in one particular skill would cause players to

be more apt to making friends with people of different skills. For example you could have a friend who is a medic, maybe one is a cook, the other a mechanic. By themselves

they are not powerful. But together? As a cohesive band? They become an efficient unit. A normal "casual" would become a hardcore player without even realizing it. Simply

because of the importance of himself to the people around him and the time he has put into becoming an expert in a particular area.

Maybe I am just screaming into the wind here. What do my fellow Dayz players think of all this?

• Like 2

This would be a great way to give the books an actual use. For example if you find a doctors journal or a magazine maybe that would give you a permanent plus 10 to all medical rolls (depending on if that journal applies to a certain sub-branch or the whole skill itself), if you find a college text book on automobiles reading that would  give you something like plus 20 to all rolls for mechanics. Of course if you re read the same book it would do anything, so if you find a book you've already read the only use for it would be to give it to someone else.

If this idea for skill books is implemented then the current 150 in game books like the bible would still be useless except for RPing but I personally don't think that you should be able to read and understand a college text book. Maybe if reading comprehension was added it would be a skill in on it's own and it would determine your chance of successfully understanding text books. Obviously the current in game books like the bible (it's all I can recall at this moment) would be a 100% chance success because they are for the most part fictional literature but by reading these books you would increase your reading comprehension. I think magazines on skills should also be a 100% chance to read because it's just a magazine with dumbed down articles for the public, however these magazines would only give you like a plus 1-5 to your skill. Maybe even depending on your reading comprehension it would determine how much of the book your understand. So for example if your comprehension is maybe 25/100 you go to read a text book you only understand a quarter or half of it which only increases your skill by 10 instead of the full 20.

There's a lot that could be done with this and it would add a lot of realism to the game. Hope the devs see this or at least someone makes a mod for it.

• Like 1

I have suggested a background skill system myself, in mine I suggest a starting background though to give people a head start in their preferred play style.

I dont think the skill system I proposed is the best one, I focused more on medical/weapon/infected Mechanics. I really hoping they implement some kind of skill system though, I like your ideas.

My core wishlist for a skill system is:

- Incorporate background story (allowing people to have a bit of a head start on their preferred play style)

- Progressive and regressive (skills go up with practice over time, go down without)

- Operates in the background (No player management required)

- Creates diversity between players enhancing player interactions

- Not overly complicated/overpowering (each skill only has slight increases to prevent skill stacking)

The main focus on skill system I think should focus on increasing success rates, information feed back, quality of results. Only a small focus should be on physical prowess, such as stamina, pain tolerance, strength.

Example 1: Medical skills would enhance information feedback when diagnosing a patient, be more successful transferring full treatments without causing further injury.

Example 2: Mechanic skills would enhance information feedback when diagnosing a vehicle, be more successful at removing/replacing/repairing parts without damaging them.

Example 3: pain tolerance will increase the more times you take damage and survive, pain tolerance would reduce chance of pain effects(morning and groaning/shaking effect) by say a maximum of 10% reduced chance(1% per level). Pain tolerance will reduce however the longer you are able to avoid taking damage

If you want to check out my thread it is here:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/177124-gameplay-mechanics-pt1-the-playerskills/

I have also suggested a diverse infected attributes system here:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/171109-gameplay-mechanics-pt2-the-infected/?p=1742264

Edited by akafugitive

I feel really dwarfed by the fact that all of you have really long, detailed posts, yet I'm going to make a short lazy one...

I also don't know why the original poster decided to make his post look like a poem...

Anyway, enough kidding around. I think it would be cool to see an experience system implemented as it would give players a reason to want to keep their character alive instead of just keeping their gear. That's really all I have to say about it right now, I may, though, add on later.

I'm not crazy on the skill books idea, I would rather book have real reading value. Reading the book won't have skill increases but you might learn about different infections signs, symptoms and treatments. Also you could learn about what different engine knocking sounds, power loss, or mechanical issues could mean from books/audio tapes.

For example:

Dash lights flickering could mean that you have a problem with the battery, alternator or fuses. Power loss and random stalls would help you narrow that down to being the alternator, etc. And you could find manuals that would explain that.

Edited by akafugitive