Sign in to follow this  
blunce

Need Help With Graphics Settings (PC Specs)

Hi DayZ community -- I'll start by saying that I'm new to being a "PC gamer" (aside from putting countless hours into Diablo 2 on a low end Dell computer back in early 2000). I had just recently done my first build in February of this year & my specs are as follows:

Operating System:

-Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Processor:

-AMD FX 8350 8 core Processor @ 4GHz

Memory

-Crucial Ballistix 8GB 1600DDR3 RAM (2x4)

Graphics Card

-EVGA GTX 580 Video Card

Storage:

-WD Desktop 1TB 7,200RPM

I'm currently running the game at 1920x1080 (%100), Objects High, Textures High, Clouds Normal, Shadows Normal & HDR is low. I get about 60 frames in the wilderness & I drop to maybe 24 frames in cities? (I'm not sure how everyone on here determines their FPS, as I'm only comparing the way it looks visually compared to games that I KNOW run at 60fps such as Battlefield 4 on Xbox One). Now I use to run the game with textures set to "very High" & everything else on "High", & with that I was experiencing crashing. The game would close out & be accompanied by the message "DayZ has stopped running" on my desktop, & I couldn't reopen the game although it appeared that I could in the bottom right of my screen. One thing that I found strange about this was that my character was still in-game. I know this because I always played with a friend & even though my game stopped running I was still visible on his screen & my keyboard was still fully functional (running, crouching, proning, any movement really). Now with my current settings i'll experience a crash very rarely. Now all that being said, my main question is why is this game crashing? Can my PC not handle max settings?  Or is it that this game just isn't optimal enough yet in it's current state (Alpha) to run max settings? Again, bear in mind that I'm new to being a PC gamer, let alone a PC builder, I'm still a novice. Any feedback/suggestions would be appreciated & thanks for taking the time to read my post.

-blunce

Your fps is pretty much on par with this alpha build.  There is not much you can do to increase your fps unless you want to lower your settings and resolution back into the Wolfenstein look

Your fps is pretty much on par with this alpha build.  There is not much you can do to increase your fps unless you want to lower your settings and resolution back into the Wolfenstein look

Thanks for the reply caboose, but I'm more concerned about the game crashing. My frames seem to stay pretty consistent when jumping my settings FROM

Objects: High

Textures: High

Clouds: Normal

Shadows: Normal

TO

Objects: Very High

Textures: Very High

Clouds: High

Shadows: High

I MIGHT lose 2-3 frames with the higher settings but again, I'm more concerned with the crashing issue. Also, it's not that I crash every single time with higher settings either, it's just more likely for it to occur than when settings are turned down. When it does happen I just simply reboot the game. When I want to play, I want to play. Not deal with that headache.

perhaps one of the many tech gurus around here could help you if you posted some info on your system temperatures ..my ARES II seemed to idle and my GTX 690 too, while my 3930k @ 4.5GHz runs redhot playing with very high settings...

I am currently running on a 580 too, the only thing that helps in cities for me is turning Object Detail down to Low or Very Low. No other settingin the entire game seems to have any affect on my framerate in big towns, positively or negatively, but lowering that one got me from 18-24 FPS up to 32 FPS in Vybor.

You can also try the .cfg tweaks people always talk about but they tend to make your game look more like Operation Flashpoint.

Thanks for the reply caboose, but I'm more concerned about the game crashing. My frames seem to stay pretty consistent when jumping my settings FROM

Objects: High

Textures: High

Clouds: Normal

Shadows: Normal

TO

Objects: Very High

Textures: Very High

Clouds: High

Shadows: High

I MIGHT lose 2-3 frames with the higher settings but again, I'm more concerned with the crashing issue. Also, it's not that I crash every single time with higher settings either, it's just more likely for it to occur than when settings are turned down. When it does happen I just simply reboot the game. When I want to play, I want to play. Not deal with that headache.

Well the game is definitely not optimized.  What actually happens when the game crashes?  Do you get the message "DayZ in not responding", blue screen or does it just crash with no message?

Well the game is definitely not optimized.  What actually happens when the game crashes?  Do you get the message "DayZ in not responding", blue screen or does it just crash with no message?

As I mentioned above in my original post I get the message "DayZ has stopped running.exe"

As I mentioned above in my original post I get the message "DayZ has stopped running.exe"

Oops, yes, I see that.  Did you modify and of the games .cfg files?  If not try verifying the integrity of the game cache.

Edited by Caboose187

your fps is fine. read ALPHA!

Actually pretty fucking good for AMD, i read alot of people having issues with AMD processors.

you have roughly the same FPS as me and I have a shittier older system...alpha.

gen 1 i7 4.25ghz and a gtx 570

considering how easy it is to test each setting with FRAPS on, i would suggest you go that route and fine tune your system

I start with everything on MAX to the MAX and then adjust from there. (using a native resolution)

Edited by deebz1234

I've been getting crashes somewhat like you've explained, but I don't get the message "DayZ.exe has stopped running".

My screen freezes and I lose sound, and after a few seconds my screen goes black and I regain my sound. I can still move around and go everything in game, but I can't see anything. This is caused from my graphics driver not responding. I had my graphics card overclocked a little bit, so I went back to default settings. This seems to have cut down on how often it happens, but it still happens. I've had it happen on both stable and exp branch. I'm pretty sure that the issue I'm having is not caused by DayZ, but there is a chance it might be since it has yet to happen with any other game.

I have an HD 7950 3G DDR5.

That 500 series of NVIDIA cards is notorious for running hot and these symptoms sound like a video card (or other component) overheating. A crash to desktop isn't uncommon and/or a scenario where your screen goes blank but the game is still running in the background when this happens.

It's worth looking into your case ventilation and fan settings. Either use your BIOS or a program like EVGA Precision to manually set your video card's fan speed (to something like 75%) and make sure it's got enough air to keep cool.

I personally have never had a crash to desktop in the game (crosses fingers).

Just an idea...

• Like 1

Sounds like overheating issue as mentioned by a few already. Get yourself a temp monitor and activate logging then run DayZ until crash, check temp and post back?

Edited by zeroy99

My GPU runs at a steady 56 celsius while gaming, overclocked and with default settings.

Thanks for the replies everyone .. Once I get on DayZ later tonight I'll check temps & fan speeds & all that stuff & i'll report back :)

I'd be very surprised if this game put enough load on a graphics card that recent to cause it to core overheat enough to crash. It's not that. 

Do you play any other games on PC? Do you get any issues with them if you do? What wattage is your PSU? How up to date are your drivers?

The game is alpha enough to just crash, it does on my PC too and I know it only uses about a third of my cards capability.

Also, get FRAPS or similar to check framerate if you really want to know it. The xbox1 doesn't run BF4 at a consistent 60FPS so that's no metric to go by.

Edited by thebomberman

That 500 series of NVIDIA cards is notorious for running hot and these symptoms sound like a video card (or other component) overheating.

Unless his cooler is packed with dust it's not that, the 580 runs cooler than the "housefire" 480.

i think it is most likely not the gpu but the cpu overheating ..impossible to tell though, without readings OP... post up some temp readings and people can better help you. also, usually when asking for help you understand to little and therefor a dxdiag could aid in helping you.

Oops, yes, I see that.  Did you modify and of the games .cfg files?  If not try verifying the integrity of the game cache.

..lol...