Sign in to follow this  
Zjasuu

Let's talk about the Long Range Scope.

LRS at any condition shoots perfectly fine. They used to pull more to the left the more damaged they were but a couple of updates ago that stopped happening.

I feel the LRS is kinda balanced by one thing atm.

That leftward pull.

THAT GOD DAMN LEFTWARD PULL

Even pristine with a Compensator on it stills pulls to the left and it pisses me off so much.

Edited by Pandema

I feel the LRS is kinda balanced by one thing atm.

That leftward pull.

THAT GOD DAMN LEFTWARD PULL

Even pristine with a Compensator on it stills pulls to the left and it pisses me off so much.

use the compensator in ur brain !!!! 

i regulary find LRS at the nwaf  

i allways take em with me and throw them in the bushes. 

i also ALWAYS log out in the forest or in the wilderness. so no one gets a duped maxed out mosin for free

I had the LRS, but when I dropped it, it glitched through the ground and I couldnt find it again :(

What about his question of how to use a worn or damaged lrs?   I just found my first lrs but its damaged.  Does it pull to the left or right?

No, it's just cracked. 

LRS encourage a playstyle that is crazy OP at the moment.

As soon as I get one and Mosin, I'm averaging 20 kills until I get bored and try to CQB with a pistol and eventually die.

There is currently no counter to a sniper right now, except for another sniper.

Having 250 hours in DayZ I've figured that in a squad , the sniper is the most vulnerable player.

The sniper sure , he is hiding and can kill from far, however the mosin does A LOT of noise , it's easy to pinpoint where someones at after they shot , specially if they change positions every time they shoot, if you are nearby you see him when he gets up to change position.

I have about 40 hours of actual fire fights between my squad and enemy squads and I've figured that most sniper spots are WELL-KNOWN which makes it extremely hard for you to snipe anyone without getting killed on high pop servers, either because you go to a "bad" spot where its hard to find but also got little to no vision or go to a known sniping spot where you have vision and risk getting flanked and killed and as such have your squad die on you if the enemy has a sniper that wasn't killed.

Sure snipers can be op against newer players but against veterans, thats not the case, at least from my experience.

• Like 1

I can't wait until scopes are available in tons of magnification options... ;o;

I can't wait until scopes are available in tons of magnification options... ;o;

^^ and until they fix the scope

Usually at least one LR scope spawns in the North Western Airfield Hangars. They aren't that there rare: You just have to know where to look, and when to look. Tactical vests are way more scarce. 

Sniping is supposed to be unfair, that's what makes it scary/successful. It shouldn't have a guaranteed "counter" as in conventional video game "balance". You're getting sniped at, find cover, suppress/snipe back, dip out. Rinse and repeat. Nothing wrong with long-range sniping at all, it's much better in my opinion than the mod where one could find a DMR around every corner.

If they want to make sniping realistically dangerous and unfair, they need to make it realistically hard. Once you start getting to long distances, it should involve not only gravity, but wind, temperature, breaching technique, zeroing your scope every time you have to put it on/ take off, and match grade ammo.

Edited by Demoth
  • Like 1

If they want to make sniping realistically dangerous and unfair, they need to make it realistically hard. Once you start getting to long distances, it should involve not only gravity, but wind, temperature, breaching technique, zeroing your scope every time you have to put it on/ take off, and match grade ammo.

That's not a priority. At 300M, that's not an issue and I can already see the threads about how they've hosed the scopes with some form of bug in any one of those factors. Make the gear hard to aquire, remove the ability to clone, and it becomes a minimal issue in the game.

For the none informed: You can literally dupe your character. So when you log back onto the server a 2nd time your character has a clone that's standing there being controlled by the AI. It moves around in place. Like arm sway etc. Any-who you can then kill him and loot all your gear off him and or pass to your homie.

Last patch all you had to do basically was log in twice quickly. When it said "Ready" you exited. Then rejoined to find your clone.

I'd try Youtube if you want to know how they do it...I've done it on accident once before and have seen it done twice this patch. Ive at least seen the standing clones. No ones come up to offer a full clone like before so it must not be common. I've had a guy ask if I wanted a dupped gun. Ended up shooting him right after he asked outta spite so not sure how that's done.

The new cloning may just be an hack. Ive seen the speed scripts and ESP already. Been so long since the last patch it's a possibility.

Im amazed anyone can still do the clone dupe after the anti combat log timer patch.    Perhaps its the same exact trick but just takes longer?  I had assumed that the new timer would eliminate the exploit and that was part of the reason we have the forced timer.   Can confirm the exploit still works?  We need to report if it does.

That's not a priority. At 300M, that's not an issue and I can already see the threads about how they've hosed the scopes with some form of bug in any one of those factors. Make the gear hard to aquire, remove the ability to clone, and it becomes a minimal issue in the game.

That's why I said "long distances", though I should have clarified 800M and out.

But if they made sniping as hard, or harder, than in the ACE sniping mod, I'm all for it. I welcome the flood of tears from arcade FPS kiddies who can't pull off their hit scan 360 no scope headshots.

• Like 2

they simply should make it realistic. with sights that work ! why cant we have a milldot or

the pso 1

PSO-1_reticle_Romanian_2.JPG

OR the german g22 sight 

Strichbild_Visier_G22.PNG

than they can add all the realism they want.

Edited by Munson_fry

LRS at any condition shoots perfectly fine. They used to pull more to the left the more damaged they were but a couple of updates ago that stopped happening.

i just shot mine 5 minutes ago and it still pulls. picked up a badly damaged today. pulls even worse than my worn and it doesnt have cracked glass

Thank you, was wondering if it was just me.

Back on topic, Should the lrs be a craftable item in the future (lens+duct tape+metal frame)

I feel that maybe binoculars should be craftable, that's just my opinion.

Terrible idea... a craftable scope? Yeah... you'll hit something with it for sure... ROFL Have you ever shot a real rifle with a real professional scope? It's not just duct taped lenses... Jesus-f-ing-christ seriously? ROFL HAHAHA

A civilian wouldn't even have a clue on how to get the crosshair to line up properly and then to figure out how to calculate range using mil-dots, or height slope, or even to use windage and drop?!? How to calculate wind speed using the tree tops, bushes or grass, or even the heat waves coming off of hot roads and tarmack? Seriously... and you want to craft a scope?! Come on....

Edited by sniperdoc
  • Like 1

Terrible idea... a craftable scope? Yeah... you'll hit something with it for sure... ROFL Have you ever shot a real rifle with a real professional scope? It's not just duct taped lenses... Jesus-f-ing-christ seriously? ROFL HAHAHA

post-29-1085688790.jpg

• Like 4

They already have gravity and it seems fairly realistic. All the other items... that'd be wishful thinking. People a lot of times seem to forget that all of the above things you mention affect a bullet's flight... including what quality ammo you use... sure as heck wouldn't do 1moa grouping at 100m using military surplus ammo... xD

They already have gravity and it seems fairly realistic. All the other items... that'd be wishful thinking. People a lot of times seem to forget that all of the above things you mention affect a bullet's flight... including what quality ammo you use... sure as heck wouldn't do 1moa grouping at 100m using military surplus ammo... xD

It's wishful thinking, yes, but I'd invite anyone to try consistently putting rounds in the black at 800 meters with any gun on a windy day.

I'm not saying shooting should be made impossible, but right now (I understand it will change. ... I hope) all the other guns behave poorly. The M4 is as accurate as drop kicking the bullets at someone, and people take incredible amounts of punishment if they wear pristine clothes filled with items; apparently cans of beans are made of kevlar and trauma plates.

So when you mix that with a Mosin that is essentially a tack driver and can usually knock someone out, or at least really mess them up, in one shot, it's a problem.

• Like 2

No its the same accuracy, just lens is cracked

Uhh no... on a LRS the lens is not cracked and the accuracy is off.

The other scopes, ACOG, Redots, and PU will be cracked, but accuracy will be fine.

It's wishful thinking, yes, but I'd invite anyone to try consistently putting rounds in the black at 800 meters with any gun on a windy day.

I'm not saying shooting should be made impossible, but right now (I understand it will change. ... I hope) all the other guns behave poorly. The M4 is as accurate as drop kicking the bullets at someone, and people take incredible amounts of punishment if they wear pristine clothes filled with items; apparently cans of beans are made of kevlar and trauma plates.

So when you mix that with a Mosin that is essentially a tack driver and can usually knock someone out, or at least really mess them up, in one shot, it's a problem.

Dead on my friend... dead on!

Edited by sniperdoc
  • Like 1

Item spawn balancing is like about as low-priority as it gets during this early-stage development.  It is and should be a much higher priority to make sure newly-introduced items spawn a lot so they are used/tested at high levels to help ID bugs quickly.  

Yes LRS are handy to have in-game from the player's perspective, but these have been in-game for a while and have been tested and tweaked already.  Whether their spawn rates are too low/too high from the finished-game perspective is irrelevant right now.  

• Like 1

Civilian buildings DO NOT spawn LR scopes, or at least I haven't found a single one ever, and I have played 230 hours. Someone must have dropped them.

I have found them in civilian buildings and I'm pretty sure no one dropped them there. Another thread about where to find them had a number of people chime in about having found them in civilian buildings as well.