SmashT

Interview with SenChi (World Designer)

Q: For starters, can you tell the community a bit about yourself and how you came to be on the DayZ Team? You began on "Iron Front: Liberation 1944" correct?

A: Hi Yes, that's right. As someone may know, am originally from a small country town in Central Russia, where I got artistic education, and along the way experimented with level design as mod-maker. Before beginning work on DayZ Standalone, me together with fellows from Awar Studio, which one we founded, and with help of X1 software, worked on the project "Iron Front: Liberation 1944" - which is from ordinary modification for ArmA-2 one day became a commercial project. They nice people and I still keep in contact with them. "Iron Front" gave me the opportunity to do a favorite job. After that I joined to DayZ team, where I working at the moment. This is a unique experience for me.

Q: When not designing for Chernarus+ what do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

A: Actually my leisure hardly differs from the average citizen leisure i belive I playing games, spend time on nature for inspiration, communicate with friends. And of course i'm dancing Kalinka-Malinka wearing valenki. Just kidding.

Q: What kind of sweet jams do you enjoy listening to while designing the environment?

A: He-he may seem wierd, but while working I prefer to listen audiobooks. Although recently it becomes harder and harder to found something interesting .

Q: The new/re-worked towns have been simply amazing, how long would you say it takes to develop these amazing places for survivors to get lost in? Do you have a favorite town thus far? (I have to admit, I'm very partial to Zelenogorsk, just beautiful)

A: Thank you. You know, I have one trait, I very rarely like the result of my own work, maybe it's perfectionism, but I find it very difficult to stop myself. Every time I look at own work I start thinking about how to change everything to make it better In average, a city with textures takes 2-2.5 weeks. The village takes 1.5-2 weeks.

Q: We all know that the North is currently being developed, care to share with us how that's going? Anything in particular you're excited about that you're willing to share?

A: Work on the north territories runs in normal mode, soon another designer will join us, and i think the job will go faster. I look forward when I can start working on the largest cities of the north (let's name will be a secret :)) but I can say that will be quite rich industrial area.

Now on to question from the community. Don't hesitate to remove questions you guys aren't willing to answer, I know the drill.

Q: Any plans to add a sense of abandoned despair to the environment? Such as: traffic jams, abandoned camps in the woods, indications of intense struggling when the "outbreak" occurred, evacuation zones? I'm willing to bet that this is a combo question between yourself and the artists who would have to create objects for your placement, but it was something that came up a lot on the subreddit.

A: At the moment we have a lot of plans on how to diversify and improve the environment in the game. Already prepared a huge list of objects that 3D artists will perform throughout the year. Certainly game world will gradually be filled with nice stuff that will help enrich the atmosphere.

Q: Can we expect more islands scattered about the map?

A: Depends on how many swimming means we will have in the future. Personally, I would prefer more lands instead of the sea.

Q: Are there any other buildings coming that'll be sprinkled throughout the map (like police stations and hospitals)?

A: Of course! It was only the first step. In the future, we can expect extending the functionality of the old cities, and more interesting buildings.

Q: Any plans to give the map more of a dynamic feel in the future? Such as probability %'s on the damaged vehicles or random "events" such as a downed heli (like the mod).

A: Who knows

Some simple yes/no questions.

Q: Is Cherno/Elektro "finished" from a map design perspective?

A: Let's say ... If I will have time I am pleased remade them. Just at the moment we are trying to focus on the creating of new cities.

Q: Will the actual size of the map ever increase?

A: Unfortunately we are limited by the physical size of map that was set at the Chernarus for Arma 2 (15.360km x 15.360 km) long time ago, perhaps in the future we will find a way to extend

the border, but right now talking about it too early.

Q: Have you guys thought of locations for your next bad ass terrain?

A: :P

Q: Will one of the new northern cities be close to Cherno/Elektro size?

A: Yep, i can ensure you, if all goes according to plan, the northern zone will have at least two cities with Cherno / Elektro size.

Q: The corn fields you and Ivan spoke of on twitter, will those become a reality one day?

A: Probably in future.

• Like 9

It would kinda make sense to mention something like this in the Devtracker, wouldn't it?

Last time I whined about bad communication, I was told that "everything is mentioned in the devtracker", so please take this interview as a proof: No, it's NOT. If you don't visit Reddit or read the general forum regularly you would never find out this interview actually exists. Just sayin.

I don't find out about them unless their posted on the forums. I don't like reddit lol or twitter

It would kinda make sense to mention something like this in the Devtracker, wouldn't it?

Last time I whined about bad communication, I was told that "everything is mentioned in the devtracker", so please take this interview as a proof: No, it's NOT. If you don't visit Reddit or read the general forum regularly you would never find out this interview actually exists. Just sayin.

SenChi linked to the interview on twitter, which was automatically posted by the devtracker.

2 cities the size of Cherno/Electro?!?!!

1099409-koolaidman.jpg

Edited by Window Licker