Irish.

Medic Helmet and other forms of visual ID

So I thought having a ballistic helmet, that has large medical crosses on it would make a great addition. Sure its something that a bandit could put on to try and trick people.. but for the genuine medic, having no weapon in hand, and a medic helmet on may mean he is able to apply help to wounded players without being shot at. For the fake medic, the weapon would be a dead give away..

medicM1.jpg

This could be applied for other styles of gameplay. Heroes can have things like Cowboy hats to identify them to unknown players. Bandits have the masks to wear and military gear.

If we added in new things like Hockey masks, Police hats, Riot Helmets, Clown masks, Nurse cap, Doctor cap, Medical Scrubs, Police uniforms, Priest Vestments, Full UN uniforms, Medic Shirts/jackets, etc.. then everyone would have a way of saying to others, "hey, this is how I play" just by being dressed a certain way. People could make better judgements on whether to approach a player or not. 

I know, people can exploit the hell out of this. But as it is now, there is no real way of saying who you are to others. When I stalk another player to see if he is a threat or not, it takes time but you can usually tell how people move about. Now if I see a guy wearing medic gear, with no weapons, and I only see him loot the hospital and grocery store than I can assume he is friendly.. much faster than if I just started watching him.

Its not flawless, but at least its a start in being able to tell other players what you are doing here in Chernarus.

• Like 25

You, sir, have my beans. I have always wanted these things, especially the medic and UN clothing, but I agree with all your suggestions

• Like 1

Medic helmet would be nice.  Even if people don't use it to say "hey I am a medic" it would be good for RP and obviously a nice re-skin of the ballistic helmet.  

• Like 1

mediic hat and respirator on ''check'' sawn of shotgun in my pack ''check''

Im joking of course yes it has its flaws but I really like the idea. I also like the idea of medic patch that is linked to your medical assitance that appears on your clothes regardless of what your wearing.

• Like 1

I just tought that you could identify yoursef and players by face gesture. I this player is a survivor he will have normal face, if he is a hero he might have happy face and a bandit angry. its dumb but you know new stuff

would be a nice feature to have for sure.

I would just expect that by wearing medic ID gear, you will get your ass shot first when running with a crew, to prevent you keeping the rest of your guys alive and fighting.

would be a nice feature to have for sure.

I would just expect that by wearing medic ID gear, you will get your ass shot first when running with a crew, to prevent you keeping the rest of your guys alive and fighting.

That is very true, allthough I think the rest of the crew would murder that guy no matter how many are on the other side, he shot their medic... Would really like those additions, and the thinf pith the faces sounds good as well, allthough as most people are running around with gas masks you wouldnt be able to see it

• Like 1

It would have to be Spray painted. Modern armies don't use such large identification marks, mainly becuase they're giant targets for Insurgents. Maybe some WWII-Cold War era helmets could be in Civilian spawns with these, or if they don't add different slray paint, then i guess just put it in Med Tents.

• Like 1

It would have to be Spray painted. Modern armies don't use such large identification marks, mainly becuase they're giant targets for Insurgents. Maybe some WWII-Cold War era helmets could be in Civilian spawns with these, or if they don't add different slray paint, then i guess just put it in Med Tents.

:thumbsup:  :beans:

I didn't think any army still used helmets signifying who is a medic, as the traditional red cross on a white background tends to be a handy aiming point for marksmen - I thought they were signified by their arm bands or badges. IF the developers followed that train of thought, if remember, then perhaps sticky patches/decals could be added to a helmet to add the red cross & white background to it. But who is to say that the Chernorus forces didn't have their medics wear helms with the red cross on it? I'd be happy with it in game in some form or other.

Only thing we put the international signage on now are vehicles and buildings really, same with almost every other modern army. Medics generally have a "personal protection weapon" so we can't bare the emblem unless it's in an aid station or humanitarian help where we're tasked to treat and you can bet your ass I'd carry mine if I was tasked out to Chern, that's all really irrelevant to the game and atmosphere though. That aside I'm down for entire "costumes", would add some spice.

But who is to say that the Chernorus forces didn't have their medics wear helms with the red cross on it? I'd be happy with it in game in some form or other.

Arma 2.

• Like 1

It's an interesting idea, but I reckon it would take all of thirty seconds before some bright spark uploads a youtube video of himself 'pwning n00bs as a fake medic LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

It wouldn't take long for it to end up as a microcosm of the DayZ populace in general - a few people doing interesting things and using it as planned, but they're vastly outnumbered by the people who are using it as a way to kill other players. It wouldn't take long before players cottoned on and just ignored it, because they've been shot by people wearing it too many times.

(Just to pre-empt the inevitable argument, I'm not suggesting that there's anything morally 'wrong' about using it as a trap, valid tactic and all that, it's just that the mass population of DayZ aren't really huge on original thinking, and once they see one person doing it, suddenly they all want to be that guy. Case in point, the number of 'bandit' (no, you're not bandits) streamers that popped up everywhere after a few popular youtubers adopted the playstyle.)

Edited by Target Practice

It's an interesting idea, but I reckon it would take all of thirty seconds before some bright spark uploads a youtube video of himself 'pwning n00bs as a fake medic LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

It wouldn't take long for it to end up as a microcosm of the DayZ populace in general - a few people doing interesting things and using it as planned, but they're vastly outnumbered by the people who are using it as a way to kill other players. It wouldn't take long before players cottoned on and just ignored it, because they've been shot by people wearing it too many times.

(Just to pre-empt the inevitable argument, I'm not suggesting that there's anything morally 'wrong' about using it as a trap, valid tactic and all that, it's just that the mass population of DayZ aren't really huge on original thinking, and once they see one person doing it, suddenly they all want to be that guy. Case in point, the number of 'bandit' (no, you're not bandits) streamers that popped up everywhere after a few popular youtubers adopted the playstyle.)

if you are basing that on the SA, then yes. But the mods showed that people were very capable of doing things properly. 

if you are basing that on the SA, then yes. But the mods showed that people were very capable of doing things properly. 

I tentatively disagree with that. Towards the tail end of the mod, things weren't really an awful lot better than they were in the SA. Granted, there were a lot fewer brand new players who simply didn't know any better, and whose experiences were such that they simply assumed that DayZ = KoS, but there were still a ton of people running round Elektro and Cherno shooting anything that moved and then saying 'LOL I R BANDIT U GUISE'.

I can't speak for the very early days of the mod, as that was before my time, but in my experience of playing DayZ, hostile players have always outnumbered non-hostile players by a considerable margin, and the creative work of a few hostile players is always but always copied en masse by hundreds of others who simply don't have the intelligence or desire to come up with their own ideas. For an example, the HUNDREDS of super original 'bandit' (no, you're still not bandits) teams of guys who think it's the cutting edge of originality to handcuff someone and force-feed them disinfectant, or capture two newbies and get them to fight to the death. What starts out as an interesting idea and a novel spin on an established playstyle is rapidly copied and watered down to the point of over-saturation by shitty wannabe letsplayers who don't give a shit about the game, they just want to be 'the next Frankie'.

mediic hat and respirator on ''check'' sawn of shotgun in my pack ''check''

Im joking of course yes it has its flaws but I really like the idea. I also like the idea of medic patch that is linked to your medical assitance that appears on your clothes regardless of what your wearing.

My initial thought exactly.  On reflection, it shouldn't be too hard to check for this item in the player's inventory and then disable the ability to equip non-melee weapons if it exists.  While I wouldn't doubt their intentions, I would question the sanity of anyone who wants to run around in SA identifying themselves as a mobile loot point (KoS sold separately. Some assembly required).

I tentatively disagree with that. Towards the tail end of the mod, things weren't really an awful lot better than they were in the SA. Granted, there were a lot fewer brand new players who simply didn't know any better, and whose experiences were such that they simply assumed that DayZ = KoS, but there were still a ton of people running round Elektro and Cherno shooting anything that moved and then saying 'LOL I R BANDIT U GUISE'.

I can't speak for the very early days of the mod, as that was before my time, but in my experience of playing DayZ, hostile players have always outnumbered non-hostile players by a considerable margin, and the creative work of a few hostile players is always but always copied en masse by hundreds of others who simply don't have the intelligence or desire to come up with their own ideas. For an example, the HUNDREDS of super original 'bandit' (no, you're still not bandits) teams of guys who think it's the cutting edge of originality to handcuff someone and force-feed them disinfectant, or capture two newbies and get them to fight to the death. What starts out as an interesting idea and a novel spin on an established playstyle is rapidly copied and watered down to the point of over-saturation by shitty wannabe letsplayers who don't give a shit about the game, they just want to be 'the next Frankie'.

Finally, someone who knows what a bandit is.

Try the mod now on a Hive server. There are few bandits (Depending on the server) except the Elektro ones. Inland or anywhere else, most everyone is friendly. This is becuase the real 'Bandits' went on to SA, while more noobish players who are only in it for killing fresh spawns don't like not being able to find guns.

Anyway, even before SA i never had a huge problem with 'Bandits' except for the occasional Fresh-Spawn killer or people at NWAF. Now i rarely see bandits on the Mod.

But SA might aswell be Battlefield.

So long story short,

the ability to spray paint symbols on clothing

that are depicting the person's individual play-style.

It's a very good idea,and it would be a shame to limit it just on helmets.

If we could have medic TTSKO variaties (medic-camo uniforms),i would be very pleased. :)

Edited by Damnyourdeadman

Finally, someone who knows what a bandit is.

Try the mod now on a Hive server. There are few bandits (Depending on the server) except the Elektro ones. Inland or anywhere else, most everyone is friendly. This is becuase the real 'Bandits' went on to SA, while more noobish players who are only in it for killing fresh spawns don't like not being able to find guns.

Anyway, even before SA i never had a huge problem with 'Bandits' except for the occasional Fresh-Spawn killer or people at NWAF. Now i rarely see bandits on the Mod.

But SA might aswell be Battlefield.

The problem is, in both environments, it's very difficult to be a 'true' bandit (ie holding up/killing players for their gear rather than just shooting them the second you see them regardless of whether they have anything you want/are a threat to you) these days.

In SA, the vast majority of armed players you'll encounter will just instinctively shoot at you, regardless of whether they're likely to be killed in doing so. They just want kills, it doesn't matter if they die when getting them. The unarmed ones are likely freshspawns, and therefore not worth holding up, as they don't have anything useful.

In the mod, the players that are still playing the mod are generally pretty experienced survivors, so they're tough to find, and generally pretty damned tough to get close enough to rob, too.

It's a shame, but I think that the 'true' bandit is in danger of becoming an endangered species, at least for the near future. Perhaps once the SA is a little further along and the more... um... 'transient' section of the community has either gotten bored of deathmatching and started playing a more interesting style or simply moved on altogether, there's going to be more room for playstyles that allow players to be a bit more theatrical and creative.

The problem is, in both environments, it's very difficult to be a 'true' bandit (ie holding up/killing players for their gear rather than just shooting them the second you see them regardless of whether they have anything you want/are a threat to you) these days.

In SA, the vast majority of armed players you'll encounter will just instinctively shoot at you, regardless of whether they're likely to be killed in doing so. They just want kills, it doesn't matter if they die when getting them. The unarmed ones are likely freshspawns, and therefore not worth holding up, as they don't have anything useful.

In the mod, the players that are still playing the mod are generally pretty experienced survivors, so they're tough to find, and generally pretty damned tough to get close enough to rob, too.

It's a shame, but I think that the 'true' bandit is in danger of becoming an endangered species, at least for the near future. Perhaps once the SA is a little further along and the more... um... 'transient' section of the community has either gotten bored of deathmatching and started playing a more interesting style or simply moved on altogether, there's going to be more room for playstyles that allow players to be a bit more theatrical and creative.

I think you may have forgot about the pro-Bandit move... shoot them to unconscious and revive them after you rob them. Leg shots work wonders for making people give in :)

• Like 1

I too would love to see some kind of arm-band marking system (Not just for medics but others as well)

For the medic side of things, I would like to see a lot more medic style clothing as well. Yes it does help single people out, but it's great for RP or for people who actually do WANT to play the team/lone medic. In the end, those who don't like the stuff can consider it akin to the bright orange hard-hats. Just keep on walking and don't pick it up.

I'd love to see medic style:

Pants - Pretty much nothing to change here, cargo pants, maybe with scissors and such in side pocket.

Helmets/Hats - Self explanitory

Jackets/shirts - Blue, cross icon, reflective edges(Option to rip them off?)

Bags - Backpack with medic logo (Blue and red variants?)

First responder pack - Larger variant of med kits, perhaps shoulder sling verion?

Doctor mask is great, glasses perhaps?

Full hazmat suit? Just for laughs

Blue surgeon gowns could be funny to find in hospitals (Can at least make rags out of them right?)

I'd love to see a standalone IV pole or something that could be rigged with sticks to avoid needing a second person to administer IV, if you're concious.

Sorry this is a bit of a tangent on the original post. But I like the idea, just need to not pick it up if you don't like it right?

nice. but bandits 2.0 with UN helmets, medic armbands and "IM FRIENDLY :D" would ruin that.

my idea against this is one talent per charackter. not a xp system. just a "i have no idea how to use it" on a defibrilator when you are a.....i dont know... a monkey 

so a low blood bandit would think twice before he kill a medic.

a charackter must have the same impact into the gameplay like the loot.

at the time we are just loot with leggs.

The thing is, most defibrillators are designed so that the average Joe can operate it, complete with pretty pictures.

I was gonna make a thread on it, but might as well chirp in here.  There definitely needs to be more forms of identification.  A couple sources for such IDs already exist in game.  Main one I want to see is the bandana.  You should be able to "craft" the bandana into not only a head wrap, but also a face mask, an arm band, a neck tie, or even a visible bandage.  Once you factor in the different colors, you now have a couple dozen combinations from one class of item.  Your group could all wear one color of bandana on their arm or neck (or face if you wanna be a pr0 1337 bandit) to help with IFF.