Sign in to follow this  
PlayedSun

Craftable Traps

I mentioned this on a different post talking about the implementation of grenades, and that got me thinking about several concepts. One such idea was the ability to create a sort of explosive trap activated by a hitting a tripwire. With the upcoming addition of item physics, I believe that this could be a really neat idea. To craft one, you would need a grenade (or similar explosive device), rope, and some kind of fixative like duct tape. Then it could be placed or set on the ground, and when a player or zombie steps on the rope it causes the grenade to explode. It would be subtle enough that if you aren't paying attention you'd set it off, but if a player is semi-attentive and not rushing around, they'd be able to spot it and defuse it safely, either via hands, or cutting the rope with some kind of sharp object.

I think it's a cool concept that would fit well into the game, and to balance this out as to not have billions of traps everywhere and not make it overpowered, have grenades be a fairly rare drop, or simply give it a two-three second countdown before exploding after being activated.

• Like 5

The other idea I had was basically the same concept as the explosive trip mine, except instead of exploding, have it cause a loud noise. For example if airhorns or alarm clocks were implemented into the game, you could create a noise trap that when activated alerts everyone in the area via a loud noise (airhorn blaring/alarm clock ringing)

I'd love to see traps, also using a hand grenade to make a trap :3

like this? :D

at 4:20

or this

or this

(yeah, some are germans, but I think it's possible to understand the rudimentary things

they wouldn't kill, but trap the animal.

but for the nade-trap, it should take some time, until it explodes, like normally 5-10s, IMO.

but aside from that, YUP

Edited by irishroy

I wouldn't want to see traps like these in DayZ.  Nothing annoys me more than trying to find a sniper only to have a claymore go off on me for trying to track him down (Battlefield 2 reference).  I understand that you would want traps in DayZ to be more complex, but I still wouldn't want to see explosive traps.

WITH THAT SAID...

I WOULD like to see animal traps.  Things such as snares for rabbits/squirrels, halo traps for deer, bear traps, and even tree-triggered rope traps for larger and more aggressive animals such as boars and wolves.  These would seldomly catch anything (as they do in reality), but worth putting out if you're trying to feed a group.

I wouldn't want to see traps like these in DayZ.  Nothing annoys me more than trying to find a sniper only to have a claymore go off on me for trying to track him down (Battlefield 2 reference).  I understand that you would want traps in DayZ to be more complex, but I still wouldn't want to see explosive traps.

WITH THAT SAID...

I WOULD like to see animal traps.  Things such as snares for rabbits/squirrels, halo traps for deer, bear traps, and even tree-triggered rope traps for larger and more aggressive animals such as boars and wolves.  These would seldomly catch anything (as they do in reality), but worth putting out if you're trying to feed a group.

But the difference with a trap vs a claymore is that you would physically be able to see the activation rope, and be able to disarm it. It doesn't go off unless you physically set it off by walking through the rope unlike a claymore where if you see one, you die.