OrLoK

Arma3 Third person fix mod...thoughts?

I saw that in one of the DevBlogs from the 2017 mod, I believe. I like the idea and if it's working without drawing too many resources I would love to have it that way.

For me it's pretty much the perfect compromise between 3rd and 1st. Even though I am thinking baout drawbacks I can't really think of any other than the fact that it might kill your FPS if it's checking every frame.

If this finds its way into any mod (and I personally would like to implement on any server I am playing on) there is no reason for anyone to say that they need 3rd. It has all the positive sides for the players that say they need 3rd whilst not giving any drawbacks to us 1st-players.

And obviously they can't say anything about it, as they would out themselves as 3rd-abusers. :P

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 3

This is certainly a step in the right direction and it's refreshing to see a mod post about an issue that is of grave concern to many members of the community.

• Like 3

This is certainly a step in the right direction and it's refreshing to see a mod post about an issue that is of grave concern to many members of the community.

Remember, though: this is a script written by a communitymember in his free time. There's no guarantee this will be added to anything regarding DayZ.

• Like 1

Remember, though: this is a script written by a communitymember in his free time. There's no guarantee this will be added to anything regarding DayZ.

I know it's a script, and I know that it's not official dayz dev team material, I also know that there is no guarantee that this will be added, however the presence of a moderator starting a thread specifically sourcing this "fix" video is certainly a step in the right direction.

• Like 5

I like the concept.  I'd probably still play in fpp only because DayZ freaks you out enough without other players and zombies popping into existence like that.  If this was implemented, I would play on regular servers again as it balances out the two play styles (regular vs hardcore).

Hello there

Amazing** as I am, at the end of the day I am just a forum member just like the rest of you lot.

Im posting this vid with my moderator hat firmly off

Rgds

LoK

**im super modest too.

• Like 10

I don't much care either way. An advantage that everyone has isn't an advantage. But I also won't be upset to see something like this put in place. My only concern is that there are currently issues with synchronizing, so I'd hate to see this make things worse with people popping on an off your screen too slowly. 1PP people should be wary as well, as this works all the time, not just for 3pp. So things will be invisible for you as well when not in line of sight. And by that, I don't mean "you can't see through stuff". I mean they will actually be there and invisible until the game determines you "should" see them.

In short: I'm fine with it as is, but I won't mind if this comes in so long as it works very, very well.

The only issue i can see with it is the time it takes for the player to apear even if its a milisecond people will notice.

Amazing** as I am, at the end of the day I am just a forum member just like the rest of you lot.

Im posting this vid with my moderator hat firmly off

We we're getting some emotionally positive use out of our tinfoil hats for a change, thanks for ruining it!

We we're getting some emotionally positive use out of our tinfoil hats for a change, thanks for ruining it!

Hello there

I am the spoiler of all fun.

To me the mod is nice in the fact it shows what is possible, but it is in a very very rough state.

for me the "popping in" transition would irritate, a fade in or even a pixel by pixel reveal would be preferable. Lord knows if that's doable though.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

I agree, a rapid fade in or out would certainly be more visually appealing than the "popping" as shown in the video.

for me the "popping in" transition would irritate, a fade in or even a pixel by pixel reveal would be preferable. Lord knows if that's doable though.

Not as a mere script executed clientside. I shall try out and see if it would theoretically be able to be ported over to ARMA 2 / the mod.

I would love this adding to SA and reunite 2 hives make only SINGLE HIVE FOR ALL GUYS ;)

only player who don't like this is guys who feeling sad because is not possible for exploit abuse :(

and I am sure majority agree me

guys who doing exploit don't have right for shape game future :P

• Like 3

I would love this adding to SA and reunite 2 hives make only SINGLE HIVE FOR ALL GUYS ;)

only player who don't like this is guys who feeling sad because is not possible for exploit abuse :(

and I am sure majority agree me

guys who doing exploit don't have right for shape game future :P

I dont know, i just dont like the idea of ppl just appearing on your screen like that... for me, separate hives.

I really dont care that much as i play only on hardcore (so i dont feel sad because is not possible for exploit abuse)

• Like 2

I dont know, i just dont like the idea of ppl just appearing on your screen like that... for me, separate hives.

I really dont care that much as i play only on hardcore (so i dont feel sad because is not possible for exploit abuse)

they only 'appear' like that if you returning from 'out of body experience' mode ;)

is choice of player if he want to leave reality behind to look on character ass  :huh:

• Like 5

dude, that's pretty cool.  Some issues to overcome, but all-in-all cool.  

I dont know how anyone could be against this idea coming to standalone... If there is anyone who even is against this kind of fix..

• Like 2

IMO, I dont see this as a "problem", there is nothing to fix and i dont mind other guy seeing me behind the wall, as everybody can use it. There is a ton of 3pv games that have this exploit feature. I dont care if it is not "realistic", for me reality is boring, if it was not i would not play games.

BTW, i play on both Regular and HC servers.

PS. And i bet this "script" is using tons of ray-casting which will bring performance down, unless u have monster of a PC, not to mention that it doesnt work for transparent objects.

Edited by belphegor_goatzombie

I've discussed 4th wall with my brother a bit, as we both would love to see something implemented to prevent the silly 3pp corner peaking(like most people who play regular).  My reservations against it are pretty much what you mentioned here.  The sudden popping of objects into sight would be somewhat irritating, especially when you start thinking about finding people in forests.  Trees would constantly be breaking your line-of-sight with the target, so if you're both on the move, it may lead to other characters flickering.  A slow fade would certainly be less abrasive than the sudden apparition depicted in the video, but that delay period while it's fading would just serve to further reduce the time in which you can see your target.  While that reduction in visibility time might be very brief, it may still prove to be bothersome in heavily wooded areas.

Not gonna really mention the impact on performance.  As of right now, we don't really know how SA will run once optimization changes have been made.  Nor do I personally know the significance of a script like this on the overall resource tax of the game.  Definitely something that should be kept in mind though.

Edited by KyleSaysThings
  • Like 2

they only 'appear' like that if you returning from 'out of body experience' mode ;)

is choice of player if he want to leave reality behind to look on character ass  :huh:

Not, they would appear regardless of 3rd or 1st person perspective. The whole idea is that certain things just won't be there at all until they are visible. Right now, those things are there, just obscured by things rendered in front of them. So if the delay is too much (or you know, the impossible happens and you have synch problems), your day may be ruined by an invisible player.

Not to mention, transparent objects, objects that obscure but don't block vision like stairs or shelves. And how would it handle something like a gun being too close to a corner? Trees? Bushes?

As I said, it needs to be dang near perfect or I wouldn't like it. I'd rather work around the wall peeking than have real FPS strategy go to hell because players may not pop in as you are sweeping a room.

Not, they would appear regardless of 3rd or 1st person perspective. The whole idea is that certain things just won't be there at all until they are visible. Right now, those things are there, just obscured by things rendered in front of them. So if the delay is too much (or you know, the impossible happens and you have synch problems), your day may be ruined by an invisible player.

Not to mention, transparent objects, objects that obscure but don't block vision like stairs or shelves. And how would it handle something like a gun being too close to a corner? Trees? Bushes?

As I said, it needs to be dang near perfect or I wouldn't like it. I'd rather work around the wall peeking than have real FPS strategy go to hell because players may not pop in as you are sweeping a room.

no sense argue

in 1st person if you don't see him because is wall there what is matter if he there or not there because YOU CANNOT EVER SEE HIM  :huh:

he will be there when you move head to see him even if is single pixel for see, in video he demonstrate this when you seeing only top of head in 1st and 3rd view ;)

also player will be there for other player if they having line of sight

so player only 'appear' and 'disappear' when you going in and out of magic view mode :huh:

and if you want to see your player ass so much and use supernatural view point don't worry if reality seem strange because 3rd person is strange ;)

The solution is the players are invisible if you do not have direct line of sight? >.<

I mean why even play 3rd person at that point unless you physically are forced to? I would never play that 3rd person.. ever. But I congratulate him on his work. It does do the job, its just not for me. I would just play 1st person if this was mass implemented.

• Like 1

PS. And i bet this "script" is using tons of ray-casting which will bring performance down, unless u have monster of a PC, not to mention that it doesnt work for transparent objects.

No, it is actually quite clever as a script and from what I see here it shouldn't eat far too much of your resources.

thoughts?

Pretty much.

• Like 2