JiJi (DayZ)

Polaroid Discoverable Mementos

UPDATE (link) : Useless zombie loot
(25 June 2014)

Backstory & memories strengthen game credibility or immersion.
Instead a narrative overview about how life was in Chernarus before Z event, I've imagined a "loot for lore" that serve that purpose.
Explore the world and pay attention to those old 80's Polaroid films found if curiosity leads you. No great revelation, just tips and winks, collect them for the same reason people have with collectible card, or just take a look and drop them if considered as useless loot.

URKHVvB.png

My recommandation :

Ingame object settled with generic face down texture (while faces up are 512x512) for better performance.
Would have to pick up and "inspect" to flip and see picture.

Xtydm6M.jpg

So far I've got some twenty films, and it would be easier to get more since I've made frames, layers, and script.
I will be pleased to help anyone whishing to implement them (I can't myself : I have no skill with 3D or coding) when DayZ will become modable.
If devs like the idea and plan to do it in vanilla DayZ someday, it would be a dream :wub:  -that's why I've posted here in suggestion forum.

PS : If you want to talk about Polaroid camera (used by players), please post in Byrgesen suggestion thread.

Edited by JiJi
  • Like 14

In game screen shots with polaroid camera? Share your kidnapping escapades with others?

• Like 2

Like this idea a lot  and OP has made significant effort.

Well done!

:)

Nice idea, that's the type of discrete clues we need in the game. This encourages sharing them with your friends and it doesn't require you to write pages of text that no one will spend the time to read when they could get shot down at any time. To those civilian artefacts should be added medical records, patient chart and biopsy reports in the same format (an object that has a visual info and small concise text) and military reports and mission briefings that would show how things slowly went out of control.

Edited by aknar

In game screen shots with polaroid camera? Share your kidnapping escapades with others?

that was i thinkig too

snip

Title edited to stop merge or confusion.

To those civilian artefacts should be added medical records, patient chart and biopsy reports in the same format (an object that has a visual info and small concise text) and military reports and mission briefings that would show how things slowly went out of control.

Referring to Chernarus "ArmA II" endings, Z outbreak happen(ed) during year 2014.

IMHO lore would be rather computer-based records (smart card, USB stick, HDD) than paper-based, so it would be an issue.

But yes I like the idea, since I'm in Polaroid films I could work on a modern set.

Even if DayZ is rated "M", I'm afraid it could be unbearable ... :ph34r:

nice idea. kudos

i would call things like these "small-sized end-game content" ;). also like maybe being able to find playing cards or different chernarussian coins etc.

Edited by joe_mcentire

I don't care about the backstory, but an in game polaroid camera (with unlimited positives?) could be fun.

I don't care about the backstory, but an in game polaroid camera (with unlimited positives?) could be fun.

Wrong thread, check the first posts:

PS : If you want to talk about Polaroid camera (used by players), please post in Byrgesen suggestion thread.

Wrong thread, check the first posts:

You missed the part about me not caring about the backstory? I didn't want to be all "negative" about it.

I didn't want to be all "negative" about it.

Was that a pun? I like it. Good work.

Yeah some backstory discovered in-game would be neat, even if it doesn't serve any practical purpose.

Useless zombie loot
(25 June 2014)

It is usual to have pictures of your loved ones.
Many have family album, and many have pocket photo in their wallet.

Scene from "The Grey" 

SPOILER : Do not watch if you did not see the movie

During crisis it makes sense to keep family pictures in your Bug-out bag.
Not just as mementos : you would show photography of your lost family member ("Have you seen him/her?") to any refugee or survivor you would meet. Or pin it on missing wall.

This Is Your Story
...That's what DayZ trailer said. But what about infected/zombies stories?
It is not my ambition to write their, it is not really for the lore or background.
And anyway it could not work unless zombies become "lootable" (they don't currently), but however here my concept-suggestion-work :

TXJyDlR.jpg

One would think a random picture could be unrelated to zombie model where you found it on.
But here lies the interest : make you wonder about dead zombie past life.

Is this his son? brother? father? friend? or him as a child?
 Is this her niece? her husband? her parents long time ago?

etc, etc...

By wondering so, you unconsciously re-humanize the no longer "just another dead zombie".
It was a human once and has a life, and (s)he just been your victim.
Of course you have had no choice, but... You feel the discomfort? :rolleyes:

Edited by JiJi
  • Like 3