Energetics (DayZ)

retrieve - assist - gather missions (please add your ideas)

There should be more interactivity for players planted into the surroundings of Cerno that could bring certain highly rare (or otherwise unobtainable) items.

This would certainly help prevent piling of players in different areas and make "wandering about" a more taskful/meaningful time.

Please understand:

I am not PRO Wii style blabla-charakters to hand out missions.

I would love to see mechanics induced by the people that are long gone. Unfinished tasks (the carengine is still in the next town - the bill on the drawer still states that) that could spawn from what the player has in his pocket (amnesia?) or what he sees or gets told by things:

Inducing new mechanics:

• via letters from npc's/players/unkown characters
  • have a npc/letterbox with instructions (first floors, on the cranes, have them shouting from rooftops onto which they rescued themselves)
  • get some of the drawers functional and hide a note
  • Have a hidden Safe in the house
  • polaroids on walls, in drawers or upon spawning
  • find the right spot (get polaroids to the players)
  • graffiti
  • paintings in houses
  • writing on back of moveable furniture/boxes/doors
  • police and ambulance files (drawers)
  • unlockable shelters (as part of a multi stage riddle)
  • have dots on the paper: linking them with the pen gives a picture/clue/direction
  • have us spawn with (fragments of) notes and make them viable by cooperation.

Possible missions:

• We have paper so there could be the intel written on them: "I got seperated from my parents in GORKA. They are hiding there! Can You find them?"
  • On Altis Life the npc is an ATM..let him be the startpoint in DayZ. Gather together machine-parts from different cars and he fixes you - The CHAINSAW!
  • Carry a wounded player/npc back to his relatives in the next town (receive award) - AS WE SEEM UNABLE TO ORGANISE US OURSELVES!
  • Gather pieces of a treasure map (from safes, drawers,..)
  • amnesia: have the player start with a polaroid and a key: "find that barn - find your gun/car/item"
  • People would use graffiti in towns on walls/on doors to communicate
    - have a graffiti be the starting point for a zombie headcount (kill 50 zombies in Gorka)
    - have a graffiti depict a hiding place of an item/npc mission (crane southwest)
    - have it contain the combination of a padlock (so we use paper and pen to take notes!)
       - - - 5 - in Cerno, - 2 - - 1 in Gorka, 2 - 4 - - - in airfield, - - - - - 7 on the ship
    (graffiti, note in drawer, corner of a picture, back of furniture,..) -> open the shelter/box/barn/door -> loot
  • have a painting/polaroid depict a (e.g. high seat's) view of an area (the X on the painting depicts the hiding spot of an item)
  • find a specific zombie (from his police-file in the station) he's an ex convict with a lootable magnum
  • gather blood types and finish an experiment in the hospital lab (find out your blood type)
  • Use spraycans to paint helicopter landing sites onto rooftops in Cerno -> reward
  • Carrier pigeon missions (from letterbox in A to npc/letterbox in B
Edited by Energetics
  • Like 1

Rocket and many others stated that everything in dayz should be entirely player based. I'm fine with missions as long as there are no npcs and aren't any sort of messages that pop up along with them. Ex: turn the power back on in electro, barricade a home, etc.

the npc could just be a letterbox outside a countryhouse and the item to carry from B something to link up in A (a hobby radio and you receive a looped transmission)

Edited by Energetics

There should be missions for players that could bring certain highly rare (or otherwise unobtainable) items.

Inducing missions:

• via letters from npc's
  • have a npc standing in those spots no zombie can reach (first floors, on the cranes, have them shouting from rooftops onto which they rescued themselves)
  • get some of the drawers functional and hide a note
  • Have a hidden Safe in the house
  • polaroids on walls, in drawers or upon spawning
  • find the right spot (get polaroids to the players)
  • graffiti
  • paintings in houses
  • writing on back of moveable furniture/boxes/doors
  • police and ambulance files (drawers)
  • unlockable shelters (as part of a multi stage riddle)
  • have dots on the paper: linking them with the pen gives a picture/clue/direction

Possible missions:

• We have paper so there could be the missions intel written on them: "I got seperated from my parents in GORKA. They are hiding there! Can You find them?"
  • On Altis Life the npc is an ATM..let him be the mission startpoint in DayZ. Gather together machine-parts from different cars and he fixes you - The CHAINSAW!
  • Carry a wounded npc back to his relatives in the next town (receive award)
  • Gather pieces of a treasure map (from safes, drawers,..)
  • amnesia: have the player start with a polaroid and a key: "find that barn - find your gun/car/item"
  • People would use graffiti in towns on walls/on doors to communicate

- have a graffiti be the starting point for a zombie headcount (kill 50 zombies in Gorka)

- have a graffiti depict a hiding place of an item/npc mission (crane southwest)

- have it contain the combination of a padlock (so we use paper and pen to take notes!)

- - - 5 - in Cerno, - 2 - - 1 in Gorka, 2 - 4 - - - in airfield, - - - - - 7 on the ship

(graffiti, note in drawer, corner of a picture, back of furniture,..) -> open the shelter/box/barn/door -> loot

• have a painting/polaroid depict a (e.g. high seat's) view of an area (the X on the painting depicts the hiding spot of an item)
  • find a specific zombie (from his police-file in the station) he's an ex convict with a lootable magnum
  • gather blood types and finish an experiment in the hospital lab (find out your blood type)
  • Use spraycans to paint helicopter landing sites onto rooftops in Cerno -> reward
  • Carrier pigeon missions (from letterbox in A to npc/letterbox in B

Not gonna happen, and personally I don't want this game to turn into a scavenger hunt with NPC that give you missions like "Greetings Survivor! Bring me 20 lesser zombie farmer ar*es." or "My cellar is infected by zombier rats, can you kill them for me sir Survivor?"

Not gonna happen, and personally I don't want.....

ADD Ideas - not opinions we all have

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”

huh, I'm currently on my own personal scavenger hunt, I'm looking for a better compensator, LRS, green paint and some more map pieces. some of these items take me to some very dangerous places and some do not. the quest is easy, stay alive, find better gear, kill zombies and/or players. I can see what you are getting at however, but I find some of the appeal of this game is the lack of directed structure. it's my life in the game not some NPC's.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”

Okey I came out too blunt I admit and I was in a bit of a hurry so I apologize for being so rude. Anyway now that I have time, what I ment to say was that devs will not add NPCs or any non-player generated stuff like the helicopter crashsites from the mod. Apparently they (the crashsites) might not appear in the game at all.

So there is no way that any sort of questing system that is familiar from other titles will make an appereance in the game. What could be more appropriate way to approach this would be that you could have "stuff to do". Like these guys said.

Create your own mission.

Rocket and many others stated that everything in dayz should be entirely player based. I'm fine with missions as long as there are no npcs and aren't any sort of messages that pop up along with them. Ex: turn the power back on in electro, barricade a home, etc

Especially the power station thingie is something I like. These would not be proper quests like you might be hoping for, but I think that would be the only acceptable way to go with this game. Also why wouldn't you be able to have "player generated" quests. A real person wants you to find something for him you know. I don't think this would be impossible later in the game when we have more players in the server and more things to do rather than just run around and shoot each other with the few guns we have.

EDIT: With the word "quest" I mean "mission", but they are pretty much the same thing anyway.

And finally I would like to say that NPC don't really have a place in DayZ, in my oppinion. I can tell this from a personal experience from the time when I played DayZ Epoch mod. The NPC traders made everything so boring when you could just buy everything from them. And atleast for me the NPC break the immersion. They just act so unnaturally or something, I don't really know. Also I have come to notice that in most of Bohemias games the voice acting is terrible. To me all the characters and lines sound awkward and weird.

Should have propably held back from posting that first post because I didn't have time to write a proper post.

Edited by Klemingway

There's tons of games with go here and there, and do this and that. Even point out the shit on the map for you and big markers on the screen, so you can go as a mindless automaton and do it.

Thanks, but no. I think adding that kind of mechanic to this game will just ruin it.

However, adding stuff that would make sense to the world, like gathering stuff to get generators working.. or that power station someone mentioned; good idea.

Possibly build traps, like electrified fences, or the like...

That would be a good addition.

But it should not be clear and visible written down for you. You would have to figure it out, use your brain.

And NPC's that just stand around? No thanks.

Adding specific missions (or quests) would take away the raw sandbox feeling, which is just the thing to set Dayz apart from other games.

It becomes repetitive, no matter how much iterations.

By adding enough interactive stuff, and environmental things it would create a playground for players to make their own missions on the fly.

Rocket had an idea that DayZ should be everything except what you proposed. And i somehow like his idea.

• Like 1

Sorry guys but atm DayZ is just a PC sandbox showcase. (And it is within its limitations a worst case szenario of human behavior and user-exploits.)

Still Bohemia is going to port this game onto consoles......and without quests or missions this game is going to fail on these platforms - for these type of players.

And you can argue your mouth dry - you know that.

You are right - keep it without npc...but then why do we need zombies? As I can kill them off in a heartbeat they are no danger at all to me....I even shake em as I run away.

They are npc and they are useless!

But please stick to the topic

quests and missions need no npc and polaroids, pictures and graffity can be put onto players/walls and houses...

AND YES even an item-combo like stick-burlap-rope = bagpack is a quest - so stop complaining about the idea.

We all know your opinions what you want and how you want it....this topic is for the thinktanks and IDEAS...something to be kept worth reading.

Honestly I want Bohemia to read this and put it in the bin - they have the final call - not us - we just don't buy it if we do not like it.

And honestly - I do not like it the way it is now - and you do not have to care...

THANK YOU

NPCs and missions is something against the game's one and only rule :

I would not advise,making this game WOW.Player freedom and lack of path (kill this,exp,level up,be stronger etc)

are the things that made this game big.It's the only game i'm able to say " i'll do what i want " and get away with it.

• Like 1

sandbox

Exactly. This is the whole point of Dayz: Do what you like, when you like. There will be no missions with or without npc, as it counteracts with everything Dayz is as a open world sandbox survival simulator.

And about the zeds: alpha(!!)

the missions you are going to go for are the ones you make up in your mind.
atm dayz does not have a lot of opportunities for that.
but there will be.

I like the idea to offer the players tasks, like, carrying a helicopter turbine
over the whole map to put it into a helicopter.

And so putting together a car/ a backpack/ a chopper is no mission????

Why should better gear not be behind padlocks and you have to search the  country for its combination or key?

Why should it not be hidden away unless you can solve a problem.

Getting your pristine M4 with all pipapo is a quest!

And maybe you just have to get your heads around it: What you are complaining against ist just what you do right now!

You create missions out of what is there! Otherwise Dayz would be to boring or pointless for you!

14 Posts and not a single Idea

(and if you do not like the idea of having a polariod with you when you spawn with a picture of a loot-hideout of your past life - then throw it away)

The sandbox is not getting smaller or diverted when there are more paintings on the walls you coukd turn to see numbers for padlocks on them!

That's the grace of it: you don't like - you leave it

(Like you should with this thread - add something useful - or leave it!)

Edited by Energetics

That's the grace of it: you don't like - you leave it

(Like you should with this thread - add something useful - or leave it!)

ok I'll add something useful - you don't like the game leave it. what you are suggesting is a system that will reward some people with better gear for choosing to play the "mini-game" while leaving the rest of us with just the basic gear for not choosing to play the "mini-game". as the game is now the only advantage you might have is... well there isn't any advantage to anyone, that's the point. we are all equal as characters and only manage our survival by using our actual wits, some are better at that than others but that is something the player brings to the game. oh and crafting recipes are not "quests".

edit: I've already admitted that I am on my personal scavenger hunt, call it a quest if you like but the game sure didn't dish it out to me - I chose to search for the things I want and for the record I found the green paint and a better compensator..... now if I could only find that scope

Edited by Elle

Does DayZ not "reward" people who steal and rob and kill not with fast-gathering-of-equipment and not having to search far and wide?

Is lootcamping not the best way to get your super-weapon-gear?

Is basehopping not the best way for military-loot?

So you don't complain about that - but about the mini games idea that would add to the experience in a peaceful/meaningful way?

SURVIVAL is not about killing everybody else over a fucking ttsko pant!

Maybe you look at history how people survived 35.000y ago? They had to gather! (You wouldn't sit in front of your PC if it wasn't for that fact - you would still rob real sticks together!)

Who has to do that in Dayz?

And beeing an asshole and server abuser at the moment is not the perfect advantage DayZ offers?

Why has there been cuffing/forcefeeding before hunting?

There are narcistic/sadistic actions implemented before real survival???? (YEAH...this is a survival game my A''''')

SO...OK Let's go this road: If I cannot have a padlock to open.....PLEASE let me rape every female character on the map!!!! Because this is what really would happen if 4 guys with M4's would come across a female after a Zombie Holocaust! Let me buttf**k the cuffed! Let me tear or saw or chop off limbs for the fun of it!

WHAT IS YOUR POINT?

And as you say for yourself Elle: a game has to reward you with something if you do it well....otherwise its no game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game)

And now serverhopping is rewarded! And what is it good for?

Mini quests would add to the fact to stay on one server!!! You can only finish them here! Wandering around would get a new dimension and players would not pile up in cities to antagonize new-spawned.

what I suggest is just a "possibility" to follow a goal...Like the ones you set for yourselves. You can have the startingpoint on you or find and you can choose...and this is what DayZ is about.

You also could complain about the idea that there will be crates for your stuff to save items.....this will "ruin" the complete concept of the game it has atm...or it will "change" it

Let's have crates but let them be "to be found" when you respawn...Or I'll have 6 M4's and not to care whether I die!

So maybe you YOUNG GUYS start to think of change as something positive???

Cause it only adds to a game!

(and no game exists if it wouldn't be for ideas) where are yours?

Edited by Energetics
  • Like 1

for starters I am not a guy nor am I young - you can stuff your generalities where the sun don't shine - this is not my first sandbox game, the first sandbox game I really enjoyed began to fail miserably once a questing system was implemented - just go play WoW if you want this kind of crap in a game and stop trying to force it on the rest of us. one would think that after the resounding NO to your suggestion that you would have just dropped it by now and yet you insult us because we don't like your idea. go pound sand buddy. see ya in cherno. 

• Like 1

Still Bohemia is going to port this game onto consoles......and without quests or missions this game is going to fail on these platforms - for these type of players.

And you can argue your mouth dry - you know that.

I see your point but I don't fully agree. "this type of player"? Do you think the common console CoD kid is so much different from the commcon PC CoD kid?

What would ya think would happen on console without quests? Basically the thing that happens on PC...people will run around and play deathmatch. So...not much of a difference if you ask me.

The type of players this game will attract depends on what will be the focus of the surivial aspect (play deathmatch against other players or have difficulties staying alive), promote/ reward a more CoDish kind of playing style and you will attract that kind of players, no matter what plattform they are playing on.

Just fix Zed-AI, fix serverhopping and we can look how things will develop from that point. There is no need for dull quests and questmarkers all over the map,

Be creative and find your own mission.

Quests in MMORPGs are only around to keep people busy (as these games hardly got any other content to offer) so they sub for another month over and over again and most of these quests are totally braindead.

I played AION for some time, what was announced as so much different, MMORPG with heavy world-PVP and so on.

In the end: there was hardly any PVP content and you got bombarded with quests of any kind, daily quests, weekly quests, normal quests, event quest, special quests, campaign quests just to distract people from the fact, that this game has nothing else to offer than killing 50 of [insert random mob here] or collect 30 of [insert random item here] day after day after day.

But DayZ will have a lot to offer, playing the game has one huge mission/ quests which stands above all: stay alive.

Seeing people asking for some tasks here only shows that "staying alive", gearing up and finding food and such is way too easy at the moment, so no need to fix anything, just make the game harder so people don't get bored after they hopped servers for 30 minutes and then are clueless what to do with the game/ their time.

Edited by daisho

It is very hard to understand the mind of ppl here. Most want a very delayed Deathmatch, where new spawns are in desesperate need of gear and are easy prey, while geared guys have their sick fun. I agree with OP that a goal system is a very NECESSARY condition if Dayz wants to be a game. I realize most don't want another silly RPG, I don't want either, but how in hell is it going to be?

A survival simulator?? for what? We will keep our players fed under difficulties for....  (please someone fill objectives here). So we will hunt animals, build fires at monday, and at tuesday we will hunt something with bow and at wednesday we will hunt for beans, and 2 months later we will still doing it? Without proper objectives, this game will die. It will always have a small community, but that's it. Today new players are joining for the POTENTIAL this game has to offer.

The overall opinions here are equivalent to the KOS mentality we find in game.

Where have you been sonny ? there will never be NPC's pretty much goes against everything dayz is about, that and also the rocket has said " NEIN !!!" himself  B)

Edited by liquidcactus
  • Like 2

I'm 100% sure, when the game is finished, someone is going to make a mod for in game missions. So start gathering up ideas!

"Go get me the paws from 8 wolves, and you shall receive our family heirloom Sword of the Thousand Undead Souls."

Edited by Fulipes

maybe some have jet not come over the fact that this is an Alpha?

this is what an Alpha is in the end - A testphase for ideas

This threat is for ideas - not for haters

Bring better stuff to the table if you do not like what is on it.

Nothing has to stand as it is - Even Dean Hall said that!

Maybe you will not like what DayZ is going to become - maybe I will not like it.....that is OK.

But there is no "resounding NO" to any ideas because this is post 25# and there is +1mio players out there for whom none of us has the right to speak here.

This threat is for people who want Bohemia to read their ideas...and as far as this idea goes...there is still not much readworthy in here...

Please read post #1 propperly. It has 25 ideas!!!! and npc's (by the way all Zombies are NPC'S wakeup!) who are not zombies are just 1 idea of them.

So dont waste your fire on the beans.....

There need not be any npc's to new additions to the "gather and combine experience" in the game.

Please contribute if you have to give any - taking is for ingame and Cerno

Edited by Energetics