Sign in to follow this  
aggathor

How Clothing Protects A Player in DayZ

Feedback welcome!

Ok. You made one pretty serious mistake in the experiment. The fact that a ruined assault vest and a ruined t-shirt gives the same amount of protection, and a ruined t-shirt and no t-shirt give the same amount of protection. The point is that ruined clothing give no protection at all which is the conclusion you should have drawn. Therefor the red graph symbolizing the assault vest is in no way a given. The graph should not include ruined items, and in that case the assault vest graph may just be the same incline as the other graph, only higher.

To clarify, your red assault vest graph is not necessarily wrong, but you can't base it on the results you presented. You need to test with two assault vests that are of different quality other than ruined and compare them.

Edited by Strawman
  • Like 6

Hello DayZ fans!

Feedback welcome!

I'd propably add notification or something to tell people on which version these experiments were conducted since everything you have tested here might and most likely will be subject to change in future versions. Anyway, pretty nice video.

Edit: Fixed a typo

Edited by Klemingway
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback!

Ok. You made one pretty serious mistake in the experiment. The fact that a ruined assault vest and a ruined t-shirt gives the same amount of protection, and a ruined t-shirt and no t-shirt give the same amount of protection. The point is that ruined clothing give no protection at all which is the conclusion you should have drawn. Therefor the red graph symbolizing the assault vest is in no way a given. The graph should not include ruined items, and in that case the assault vest graph may just be the same incline as the other graph, only higher.

To clarify, your red assault vest graph is not necessarily wrong, but you can't base it on the results you presented. You need to test with two assault vests that are of different quality other than ruined and compare them.

Didn't think about that, nice find. I'll update part 2 with that info(If it's wrong). /beans

Thanks for the feedback!

Didn't think about that, nice find. I'll update part 2 with that info(If it's wrong). /beans

You're welcome. Good luck. Apart from that it's a nice video. Good for all those number crunchers out there. ;)

You're welcome. Good luck. Apart from that it's a nice video. Good for all those number crunchers out there. ;)

Part 2 released :)

Part 3 released - Backpacks.

I've also added the Press Vest and Anti Stab Vest to this part.

Part 3 released - Backpacks.

I've also added the Press Vest and Anti Stab Vest to this part.

Very informative stuff. 

With the release of the Sporter .22 and the Amphibia S pistol, you'll be able to do tests on ballistic absorbtion, correct? A headshot from the Amphibia S only knocks players/zombies out so I'm assuming it does a lot less damage.

Very informative stuff. 

With the release of the Sporter .22 and the Amphibia S pistol, you'll be able to do tests on ballistic absorbtion, correct? A headshot from the Amphibia S only knocks players/zombies out so I'm assuming it does a lot less damage.

Correct you are. Creating fair test conditions with close to accurate data is another matter though :p

• Like 1

Thank you so much, Aggathor. I'm not generally a numbers-obsessed person, but I am always looking for ways to gain an advantage in a game like this where the playing field is so level. Prior to seeing hard numbers from your testing, my friends and I have always prioritized clothing and armor in this order: 1. camouflage, and then 2. inventory slots. In other words, first and foremost is what will keep us hidden from other players and our secondary concern is how much stuff we can carry. We have, up to this point, assumed that all clothing was more or less equally worthless at protecting you based on our own experiences of getting killed very easily (hence why visual cover was priority #1).

Now that we have some figures to look at, we can conclude that we have been making our clothing suggestions "correctly" in that protection levels are, for the most part, irrelevant. The few items that do give you a small advantage already align with our method of choosing: Hunting Backpack, UK Assault Vest, etc. The items best for protection are coincidentally also the best for hiding you and carrying your loot ;) This is good to know.

• Like 1

Great informative video's - thank you! Keep up the good work. I would love to understand head gear and pants next?

Cheers!

Part 4 released! How Items Protect Players | Items Inside Clothing - Ft. Wool Coat & Riders Jacket (Part 4)

So does the press vest protect more than any other vest? Sorry if this has been answered, I couldn't get a clear answer from your videos (might just be me being stupid!)

All that is indeed epic info, but I'm thinking/hoping it's all regarding shock damage. Main concern in my book 9/10 is blood and health damage. Correct me if I'm wrong but I was led to believe shock dmg is flat and guaranteed based off of the weapon, but the blood loss/damage varies. 

Shock damage may go straight to your health, but does having more items reduce the blood related variables in anyway?

Is having no items in an article of clothing really better if it's a high risk location (legs, chest)? For instance does having items reduce or increase the possibility of receiving a fracture or broken limb?

Does the quality of the items within said storage change the results? 

This knowledge has hurt and made me ashamed of my past regarding my gear choices and looting up in general.

I wouldn't consider myself a loot goblin by any means. I tend to rock the leather bag the boar courier (prob still will) to reduce my silhouette, sharing similar priorities as Tatanko.

This info hurts most because I've always been one to fill my vest with things like ballistic helmets/books for "extra" protection... Little did I know! Thanks Wobo or Aggathor, keep up the good work!

Edited by HugoStiglitz