aknar

Filling gaps

First of all, this is my first post on this forum. Considering the amount of content, I decided to go with a new thread. Some of the stuff mentioned has probably been mentioned before but I hope to limit that by not posting anything that would need improvement (not overly productive, I think devs must be aware), and instead setting up a list of things that all link up together and use what's are already implemented in-game, or will necessarily be there.

Loot amount will obviously be redone since all items must first be added to the game and thus will be redone a great many times. Needless to say that the game is based on it's extreme realism mechanisms. Realism dictates there should be tons of stuff in every house, building, structure, even outdoors. The game mechanics receiving info only on objects in proximity will be greatly helpful to filling the game world up to the ceiling with stuff.

There are different approaches as to the contents of that loot. Both backed-up with the explanation "realism". These approaches seem contradictory but aren't really, they are just based on different time frames. The background of the game hasn't been set up yet. Does the character you impersonate evolve during the beginning of the epidemic, once the battle is over and the epidemic has spread out of control, or during the recovery period coming after. The latter seems the most probable for now considering the damage of buildings, zombies in only small numbers, the survivors steadily gaining control and eradicating zombies one by one. Of course, we know the features that will be implemented and that includes adding hordes of zombies, which will probably change the type of game-play, and feeling it has to a more recent time-frame.

I think it would be logical for this game to offer the three different time rates on different servers so you can have a rich experience and see an evolution. This would change game types (horde, or pvp) to offer a wider and more pleasant experience. This also means you have several characters and the loss of one isn’t as frustrating.

The discussions on the amount of stuff that should be available seems to relate to important loot (food, weapons, ...) This availability of this stuff can vary wildly depending on the time-frame. Right after infection spread out of control and evacuation started, the availability of all types of objects is very high but a time goes by, the necessities are stripped of all houses, leaving mainly clothing behind. So in any case, it seems to me clothes should be in vast quantities in houses, whatever the period. This would be a big factor of character customization and would be the first object for crafting. When you have an easier time finding advanced medical equipment than anything avoiding you from bleeding out, there is obviously a problem. This is perfectly natural and will obviously be fixed, but how?

As stated earlier, clothes would be found in every house.

- rags can be made from jeans and hoodies as well as long as you have a hunting-knife, bayonet, ... to cut them into strips. (The fact pants can't be torn might be due to the fact they are inventory holders, not sure, haven't checked yet. In that case, it shouldn't take too long to fix that)

- pajama pants are made from same cotton fabric as shirts and should be torn as well without requiring anything else

- rags should be a main resource to make all sorts of objects: rudimentary rope, tent (made from sticks, rags, sewing kit, duct tape, rope), ruck-sack (to then make rudimentary backpack, or bags to put over someone head), bananas, flags, ...

- disinfecting them for use as bandages would be possible by heating them up in a cooking pot. This would be possible for a series of objects (could wear them out though for some). Cloths could be disinfected and dried as well with this method.

- hats and caps will also reduce being blinded.

Loot being worked on and new objects being implemented, these aren't very interesting to put forth since these changes are already obvious :

- splints could also be crafted with duct tape

- number of motorcycle helmets will have to be drastically decreased to fit more or less three times the number of motorcycles in-game once they are implemented.

Adding traps would be a nice addition to the whole bandit kidnapping thing, but could also be used by the other side to defend themselves, protect a lair, a stash and also hunt animals:

- stones would be a lure (this, I believe is already set up), mainly useful for zombies.

- rope would make a simple trip wire. Could also be used to make door traps which would be something very useful in such a game.

- gas tanks and canisters could be trapped as well. A piece of rope as a fuse (wouldn't take it out of inventory, just has to be present) and it would set of after a certain time decided by the player (randomized outcome though). Zombies would be vulnerable to fire and players would need to put out the flames by rolling on the floor (this can already be done in game by going prone and using side keys), or jumping in a lake.

- animal traps with rope and wooden sticks

These next ideas would require a terrain detection mechanic in the game to work:

- stones wouldn't be an item you can loot but that would be found by searching for it in the right terrain (rocky areas, cobblestone roads, ...) Same would apply for branches, found in forests, salt water in sea and sand on the beach. These objects wouldn't be laying around but would be found in vicinity tab when you open up your inventory. It would be present in an infinite number in right terrain type and be found in small quantities anywhere else.

- make fires possible and be able to have expanding wild fires. Electrical fires could also be possible and could make nice traps.

Sticks and stones...

- wooden sticks would also be more common as explained above but they can also be retrieved from a great many static objects (table legs, ...) or weapons (baseball bat, ruined axe, ...)

- a hunting knife, or bayonet, ... could be used to carve a wooden stick into a small spear (would be nice if that is also considered by throwing system that will be added), or arrows, or the knife/bayonet could be tied to the stick using rope or duct tape.
- stones could open cans as well. It would take lots of time and a lot would be wasted but lets face it, no one will die of hunger because they couldn't find the right items to open their canned beans.

Concerning water based damage:

- walking in water would make your jeans and shoes wet. Paper based objects would be ruined from swimming in water and weapons would have to be cleaned with cleaning kit to avoid jam. 

- swimming in salt water would ruin your metal stuff so it would need to be protected. They could be saved through weapon cleaning kit if used quickly after.

Concerning bags:

- rucksacks could be made into sandbags on beaches.

- to that intent, plastic bags (black garbage bags, small zip-locks, ...) should be implemented as inventory containers (they would take up as much space as they hold of course), they would protect what ever is inside them form water based damage.

- large garbage bags could be a primitive backpack when combined with rope and could protect from water but would break extremely easily dropping all content to the ground: any melee attack, several jumps, ... would incur break.

- any type of handbags, suitcases,... should be implemented to make them backpacks with rope, or rags and a sewing kit.

- backpacks should also be able to be repaired with sewing kit.

Regarding marking world, drawing:

- Adding the possibility to draw on paper would be useful to make hand-made maps.

-  Spray paint (discussed by devs) should be able to mark buildings and roads but only by selecting icons (those used for map, and gang tags) y scrolling.

Regarding health:

- everyone would know their own blood type from the start. I don't know what portion of the population actually don't know their blood type but it's rather easy to have the info if you know your parents blood type, on your health booklet given at birth, after any blood test, or blood donation. Since a majority of the people know their blood type, they should know it in game. This would greatly help the fancy blood transfusion mechanism, the game offers. For now, it's too much of a hassle to get two tests along with all the stuff you need and a viable partner. It would still be necessary if you find someone unconscious (who wouldn't be able to communicate because of his state), that didn't communicate his blood type prior to this event. The fact you travel in very small groups or alone already makes the mechanism hard to use.

- defibrillator could be used as a second chance. If a character dies and someone tries to revive him in the next minute, he would have a third of a chance to be brought back. This would involve side effects such as becoming cardiac. Defibrillator will not use a small battery that can be taken out but can power other objects.

- flare guns would be a good last resort when trapped and could also be used as a single shot weapon that can start fire)

- boiling water in the cooking pot will make it drinkable. (obviously)

- boiling salt water would give you salt that could then be used to preserve meat.

- seeing bandages on your body corresponding to area you were shot in when not wearing clothes on that area would be a nice extra thing.

If you came all this way, congrats, that's quite a feat ^^

Edited by aknar
  • Like 2

Also, it might be worth mentionning, that considering the low level crafting, all objects crafted can also be disassembled to get materials back (at a price, objects will be worn) This should be dealt with carefully since it musn't be used to cheat but mainly to get an object that you really need straight away. Being able to disassemble a tent can allow you retreive rags that can be used to stop your bleeding (being alive and tent-less is better than being dead beside your lovely tent). Of course, some exceptions may be found that would only allow the reteival of part of the components and sometimes even this isn't possible but there should at leat be a "destroy" option so that you can avoid leaving behind the stuff you crafted with your sweat and hard work.

Not even bothered reading because of the text colour.

Not even bothered reading because of the text colour.

With the black background, I thought it would be more comfortable if a little lighter, but here, I changed it back to black, unless you wish to see it in another color?

Now its okay and I can actually read without breaking my eyes.Nice suggestions, have some beans.

thanks guys. Any suggestions that fit closely to what I described?

I love the suggestions. However most of it is decided by the engine used. I'm not sure the current engine would allow for some of the things mentioned.

Overall great ideas. I would stand behind them.

I really don't know where to ask for it and don't want to start a new thread over it so i'll have to risk having this message not seen.

Where has the dev's thread asking players participation in recipes gone? I wanted to add all of the one above.