Sebidee

Do you think Zombies should be headshots only?

Do you think Zombies should be headshots only?  

474 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Zombies should be headshots only?

• Yes, headshots.
    • No, I like it how it is.
    • Compromise, headshots should kill them in one but they should be able to take more damage to the body.

I like to think of them as infected with a mutated rabies virus that does not kill 100% of the infected, but leaves some alive to spread the virus better.

Once the infected show first symptoms there is no successful treatment and approximately 90% of the infected die, the remaining 10% become zombie like aggressive and vicious infected. 

The virus attacks the nervous system and shuts down large parts of the brain, leaving the infected in a zombie like apathetic stage until stimulated were they show an unusual aggressive behavior. 

Direct shots or traumatic injuries to the head (specifically the brain stem) will kill them immediately, but they are able to resist high levels of damage to the rest of the body due to their damaged nervous system and will continue to attack for a prolonged period of time before finally dying from excessive damaged of vital organs or loss of blood.

We are either immune or have been vaccinated and thus can't become infected ourselves.

I'm still insanely against this idea.
The only way you can rationalise only headshots killing zombies is magic. Otherwise, there is no logical way that a zombie virus causes the body to be made of an indestructible substance and not make the head indestructible too.

The best way to implement OP's idea is with a small portion of riot-police zombies, turned along with the zombies they were trying to contain, decked out in body armour; you can turn them into crawler zombies by kneecapping them, but otherwise the normal zombie pain immunity gives them survival of up to 4 normal shots to the body, plus 4-6 shots stopped by their bulletproof armour, making the best way to kill them a shot to the head or neck [riot helmet also protects the top of their head].

Killing these riot police zombies with a shot to the head or melee hit to the face, rather than the body, will also give you access to their bulletproof armour from the corpse if you don't damage it, further rewarding the headshot-proficient player, while keeping strict realism.

Meanwhile, seeing as zombies are mindless infected humans with their sole driving force being to spread the virus, we can safely say they ignore pain, so all other unarmoured zombies can probably take about 2 rifle shots to the body, 4-5 handgun/assault rifle shots to the body [depending on calibre etc of the weapon/s], 1 close range shotgun blasts to the body or 2>3 as distance from zombie increases, or 1 shot to the head. Zombies can keep running at you with no pain response and so can survive a few shots, but if they take too much bodily damage, they bleed out or lose heart functionality or whatever and die because they still have the will to attack but not the physical capability.

I think headshots required to kill infected would be a good defining characteristic for a "hardcore" mode. Thats only if it wouldnt pass for being on every kind of server which is what I would want to really happen...

What it comes down to is this.. The infected is easy to deal with, they are pretty much just a nuisance... This would put them into being a much harder challenge which is what this game needs. My only worry shouldnt just be the other player.. It should be the environment and infested as well.

You should be able to be completely geared to the teeth and still have alot of trouble with the infected.. I would go as far as saying a group of 3 to 5(maybe more) people geared to the teeth should have alot trouble if attracting quite a few. Going into places like Cherno or Elektro alone should be a definite death trap if youre not stealthy. Going with a few people should be extremely challenging as well.

Last I checked, this game was sold as hardcore survival. I want it to be that way... That doesnt mean gearing up is easy and infested are a piece of cake.

One thing they could also add is shooting or meleeing them in the leg slows them down a little? Hit to the torso sorta just stops them for a second as well would be nice.

Edited by cels

no way!!! so as many of you guys know, more zombies have been added to the game and so when i pass a city or a town or a village, i turn around to see atleast 5-7 zombies chasing me and i get my axe out and try to hit them with it as im sure they made it harder to hit zombies. so if they made it headshots only i would run around in circle for 2 hours trying to hit them in the head.  

you must be getting angry at me and wanting to comment "use your fucking gun".    but wait, i have a mosin and i dont have that much ammo on it. so if i start to shoot the zombies i would use atleast 15 bullets on a group of zombies because they are not that easy to hit in the head as they do sudden movements and as they are like 1 metre away from you. i could possibly use my magnum but yes it would waste my ammo and it would make hell a lot of noise which could attract a lot of unwanted attention from possible bandits or snipers. 

i do agree with that zombies should not be 1-hit-kill from firefighters axe or any melle weapon

(i read someones post) if you do make it headshots only it would be great to see that is you shoot a zombie in a leg or and arm that pard would fall of and would make it harder for the zombies to reach the player. this means that you dont have to aim for the head every time, you dont even have to kill the zombie. just shoot it in a leg and the zombie couldn't catch up to you.

it's could be viable if the zombies were slower or you could destroy parts of their bodies( e.x legs) so it;s more realistic and easier if you dont have gear to kill them

I have no idea how hard this would be to implement but if you were able to maim the zombies (legs/arms) it would be pretty shweet.

Headshots only would be more infuriating than challenging imho.

What id like to see is that the zombies are normal infected humans, but still they are a rabid idiot in who rage when he see you, so they would ignore the shots taken and continue to attack, normally a person is neutralized by the pain and the shock of being hurt, but these are just crazy idiots who wants to tear you apart.

so yeah,

headshot instant death

Heart shot: 8-20 seconds till the death

Lung shot: one minute or so

Wounds in the non vital parts would be ignored (several shots in the belly or other part that kills the targed for blood loss and infection)

Arms/legs: you dont kill him, you just handicap the zombie

While I don't necessarily want the DayZ zeds to be like classical undead, I would like them not to die from simple wounds like normal humans would: they should stay "alive" as long as their brain is intact, they just don't necessarily have to stay mobile if you hit them hard enough in the right areas.

Edited by Powerhouse

I feel like after a certain point there's so much structural damage that why wouldn't they be dead? Unless there's some sort of magic in DayZ the creature's systems will eventually shut down. I can see them being tougher against other damage with pain and shock receptors shut down or something but nothing too crazy. It just wouldn't make sense, these are infected people and not re-animated corpses. There are no DayZ necromancers.

Edited by Ebrim

I think the problem is the Server Delay you shot on the Head but the Server think you shot on the body then.

Its cool if you need

All Pistols

Head = 1 Shots

Body = 2 Shots

Legs and Arms = 4 Shots

All Main Weapons

Head = 1 Shots

Body = 1 Shots

Legs and Arms = 2 Shots

Zombies don't run on magical forces, they are infected humans and they need the organs to operate, so trauma to the body should absolutely count. Can they be more tolerant to torso damage? Sure, but it still has to make sense.

Edited by ValentinBk

No, no and for the last time, NO!

I'm tired of people wanting the classical zombies on DayZ. THESE ARE NOT THE UNDEAD, THESE ARE INFECTED LIVING PEOPLE! The infection killed most of the world's population, leaving a percent of it, as enraged, violent people. Apparently the 2% of the population (Us players) were left unscathed.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1zbsks/psa_the_zombies_arent_dead_theyre_infected_living/

Thank you for finding that piece of info, I will now retract my "only head" vote

they have stated that the zombies are people with a mad cow like disease... so this head shot only thing is kinda silly 

first off no to shamblers i'm sure one day when mods are available there will be one to have shamblers so i'm sure one day they will exist.

and i don't want to say headshots only or a mix or anything like that because we haven't seen there full potential yet the numbers aren't max and there AI is not complete. if they would make it headshots only or give admins the option that would be cool because once there in and at max you never know you might be glad you can kill them with a body shot because they are so nasty. plus they mentioned the doll mechanic where they wear what we wear so i expect them to wear the gorka helmet the ballistic vest and what other items they conjure up for us i can see it now a full Kevlar zed running full sprint at you and whats that he's got 5 more friends behind him hahahaha i can dream.

Edited by gannon46