Etherimp

The truth about heroes, bandits, survivors, KOS, and friendlies.

some good tip for noobs you should put in New Player section ;)

Too many people have become devoted to the FPS market that when something comes along like DayZ that when some people on youtube play this game they jump into the bandwagon only to jump off then complain or start using expliots. 

Edited by LeeFriendField
  • Like 1

Just sticky this please mods,

Mr Etherimp, thank you for the well put together and well thought out excellent advice your a champion.

• Like 2

I am sorry. I am not going to read all of that.

Then GTFO.. Nobody cares if you know how to read or not.

• Like 8

Other than leaving 0% drinks and foods around to mess with people, well said sir.

Sort of disagree with #2.

Yes, it's a risk, and you need to be careful, but it's all about risk/reward ratio. If you are a new spawn you are risking very little from looting bodies, but you could gain considerably.

What I would do is change #2 to read, "Immediately go into paranoia mode when seeing a dead body, it's dead for a reason."

I'm also a little debatable about 9. As a general rule, yeah, I can go with it, however it's too contextual to be a hard and fast rule, imo.

btw, not knocking the OP, for a first time player these are pretty decent tips.

Edited by ricp

*Applauds* You sir get my beans. These are 20 awesome tips that I think everyone should follow. The code one is especially important. It lets you and others know what kind of person you are.

My code is a simple one. Don't try to kill me, you live. Don't try to rob me, you live. Don't threaten me, you live. You do any of these three, you better think it through, and accept my offer to back down, or you will die.

LeeFriendField.... that GIF of the governor and national guardsmen made my day LOL

Sort of disagree with #2.

Yes, it's a risk, and you need to be careful, but it's all about risk/reward ratio. If you are a new spawn you are risking very little from looting bodies, but you could gain considerably.

What I would do is change #2 to read, "Immediately go into paranoia mode when seeing a dead body, it's dead for a reason."

I'm also a little debatable about 9. As a general rule, yeah, I can go with it, however it's too contextual to be a hard and fast rule, imo.

btw, not knocking the OP, for a first time player these are pretty decent tips.

#2 is balanced with #12.. If you're a fresh spawn, you might as well try to loot it.. But usually a body found in the middle of a road isn't going to have much on it. I'm referring more to situations where you shoot and kill someone, and then run over to loot their body. Unless you're absolutely sure the area is reasonably clear, you should just leave it.. It also goes along with #1: Have everything you need. 

If I have a kitted M4, a Mosin, and all the clothing/med supplies/food/drink I could possibly need, I have no reason to be looting people I just killed. Most of their stuff is probably ruined anyway. There's not much in the game that's so incredibly rare you can't find it yourself. 

Obviously, rules are meant to be broken, and I will occasionally loot the body of someone I killed, but A LOT of times it's really just not worth the risk, especially in high population areas.

Lot's of my thoughts there that I haven't been able to put into words. Thanks for that. Great list.

Please sticky.

Obviously, rules are meant to be broken, and I will occasionally loot the body of someone I killed, but A LOT of times it's really just not worth the risk, especially in high population areas.

It's always the problem with generic rules, they aren't specific. I take your point.

I would however say if I have killed someone and even if I don't need anything and I know the coast is clear, that body is getting hidden and if I'm doing that I'm going to check what loot they have. It goes along with keeping your trail covered idea.

Of course a body is also a wonderful honey trap. ;)

This is a well put together post, excellent rules to live by.  You sir, have my beans.

I don't want to sound too critical, because I know this is a well-intentioned thread, but I don't agree with or follow very many of your rules of thumb.

I think they're only really relevant if you're playing as a gunfighter - and not everyone does. The great thing about DayZ is that you don't know what other players you meet are up to - you don't know their motivations or intentions. If everyone's following these bland guidelines - or any specific guidelines at all - , then it diminishes the potential variety.

As I said, I don't want to criticise too much, as I'm sure these rules of thumb work well for your playstyle - I just wanted to point out that they are in no way necessary for everybody who plays the game, even if they are new to DayZ.

EDIT: I do like this one, though:

20. Have a code. Every man must have a code.

Edited by Pillock
  • Like 1

I don't want to sound too critical, because I know this is a well-intentioned thread, but I don't agree with or follow very many of your rules of thumb.

I think they're only really relevant if you're playing as a gunfighter - and not everyone does. The great thing about DayZ is that you don't know what other players you meet are up to - you don't know their motivations or intentions. If everyone's following these bland guidelines - or any specific guidelines at all - , then it diminishes the potential variety.

As I said, I don't want to criticise too much, as I'm sure these rules of thumb work well for your playstyle - I just wanted to point out that they are in no way necessary for everybody who plays the game, even if they are new to DayZ.

EDIT: I do like this one, though:

I don't see where you're coming from with this, maybe if you go into more detail about how it doesn't apply to your playstyle or what your tenants to live by are it would help us. 

I find the advice useful and it articulates some things that I do very well, from my perspective it's about visiting area's where players might already be looting or camping and ensuring that the player takes suitable precautions to safeguard themselves. Then leaving without a trace to make it hard for people who follow to distinguish how long it's been since you where there.  Also some of the tactics serve to delay any person who is following the same loot route as you ensuring they don't catch up and get you with your pants down so to speak.

...I think they're only really relevant if you're playing as a gunfighter - and not everyone does...

I don't see where you're coming from with this, maybe if you go into more detail about how it doesn't apply to your playstyle or what your tenants to live by are it would help us.

I'd like to hear more too. And I mean nothing negative. I do most of the above out of tactical necessity and self preservation and other than shenanigans leave as few clues as to my presence anywhere. I don't see how it falls under gunplay/gunfighting but longevity.

Edited by xRann

I'm not dismissing any of the 20 rules of thumb as useless - I'm just saying that I don't follow very many of them and I haven't died to other players very much. I don't think they are all particularly necessary unless you are deliberately going looking for gunfight action in the populated towns and airfields - and that is only one of many ways to play DayZ.

Things like "Don't stand still for long on top of a tall building" are obviously sound advice. Getting to know the map and where the hotspots are is sound advice. But the main thing I would emphasise from the whole post is this one single point:

What makes DayZ unique is the role playing element of player interactions. In other games, the lines between "good" and "evil" are easily distinguished by "Red team vs Blue team". In DayZ, the lines are blurred between friend, foe, hero, bandit, and survivor. Odds are, none of us fit into any one of these labels perfectly at all times.

That is, you don't know what other players intentions are - they are strangers in a lawless scenario. You don't know what they are going to do, and you should never expect anyone to conform to any particular standard of behaviour, because there is no reason for them to. That doesn't mean I never trust anyone, but it does mean I'm on my guard if I'm particularly worried about dying (and, to be honest, dying is not much a set-back as the game stands currently).

I've only died at the hands of another player twice in my ~110 hours. The first time I spawned in the middle of a gunfight and found myself standing next to a guy with a shotgun within about a minute. He told me he'd protect me, gave me some food, then inexplicably blasted me dead a few seconds later. The other time, I met a fellow fresh spawn on the coast, talked to him for a bit before he suddenly said, "I want your pants" and punched me unconscious before I could react - I chose to respawn rather than wait until I woke up.

The whole of the rest of the time I've played DayZ, I've managed to avoid getting killed by other players, and I've barely followed 2 or 3 or Etherimp's 20 guidelines. I just wanted to point out that you don't need to play at being a commando in order to avoid being killed. You just need to be aware of your surroundings and not take for any situation for granted. Also: it's more difficult to hit a moving target. I honestly don't think it's any more complicated than that.

As much as I disagree with your own choice of playstyle, and the fact I almost quit reading after seeing "11k humanity in the mod", Im glad I didn't. Excellent list, and despite your interjecting a 'good guy' overtone to the opening I concur that this ought to be a sticky in the new players forum. Everything on this list is relevant and solid knowledge regardless of which path you choose to walk in the game.

Beans where beans are due.

It's always the problem with generic rules, they aren't specific. I take your point.

I would however say if I have killed someone and even if I don't need anything and I know the coast is clear, that body is getting hidden and if I'm doing that I'm going to check what loot they have. It goes along with keeping your trail covered idea.

Of course a body is also a wonderful honey trap. ;)

would be pimp if you could "play dead." Then let a buddy drop your looter. Or try to draw on him.

would be pimp if you could "play dead." Then let a buddy drop your looter. Or try to draw on him.

You'd have to say it's possible to play dead already. It's a bloody dangerous strategy of course, but as it is if you were to lie down unarmed and not moving I think it would catch most people out. 

The whole of the rest of the time I've played DayZ, I've managed to avoid getting killed by other players, and I've barely followed 2 or 3 or Etherimp's 20 guidelines. I just wanted to point out that you don't need to play at being a commando in order to avoid being killed. You just need to be aware of your surroundings and not take for any situation for granted. Also: it's more difficult to hit a moving target. I honestly don't think it's any more complicated than that.

I don't think it's so much as playing as a commando, but limiting and understanding the subtle things around you that can either give you information or give someone else information. As survival tactics go, this becomes very important and it starts to all get processed very quickly. Tracking and counter-tracking methods are all very important principles to use and understand. Along the same vein as being good at landnav. While not entirely necessary, it is a valuable skillset to grasp, use, and understand.

• Like 1

I don't think it's so much as playing as a commando, but limiting and understanding the subtle things around you that can either give you information or give someone else information. As survival tactics go, this becomes very important and it starts to all get processed very quickly. Tracking and counter-tracking methods are all very important principles to use and understand. Along the same vein as being good at landnav. While not entirely necessary, it is a valuable skillset to grasp, use, and understand.

All of it is useful - in no way would I dispute that. The only reason I felt compelled to reply to this thread in the first place was that I consider the overall theme of these 20 rules of thumb to be promoting a particular sort of playstyle, and some people were touting it as a definitive list for all new players to follow - and I don't agree with that in principle. I just wanted to point out that there are other ways to play the game that don't require following these suggestions at all.

• Like 1

All of it is useful - in no way would I dispute that. The only reason I felt compelled to reply to this thread in the first place was that I consider the overall theme of these 20 rules of thumb to be promoting a particular sort of playstyle, and some people were touting it as a definitive list for all new players to follow - and I don't agree with that in principle. I just wanted to point out that there are other ways to play the game that don't require following these suggestions at all.

Very true, but I would recommend players unfamiliar with the mod or sa to at least consider and look of his list as it very well could save them the time of learning the hard way and have some useful tools to bring to the table now rather than after they've been killed and adjust a negative attitude.

Happens, tons of threads posted about "turning to the dark side" bs. When, had they considered implementing useful tactics they might never have been in that position to get all butthurt and feel the need to resort to a "fuck it" mentality and grief because they've been griefed.

• Like 2

I understand, but the key difference between you and a new player is that you have a body of experience in the game, so for you discarding guidelines that don't apply to you is not an issue. From your experience of play you have "the odds" in your favor and innately know where and how you are likely to encounter trouble.  A new player lacks this advantage and accordingly either learns from a post like this or by running about getting shot, as they develop as players they will discard the guidelines that don't work, keep the ones that do and make their own resulting in their own unique playstyle.

Starting from a template such as the OP they can avoid some of the pitfall's of learning the hard way and maybe they will be generally nicer players and willing to share their wisdom and experience with other's they meet in game, I'm not saying thats going to happen but it might.

• Like 2