Spamsel

Punishment for Server Hopping has to seperate disconnects and server switching

Everytime I get a disconnect (what happens very often to me in dayZ) I have to wait 280 seconds to rejoin... The punishment for server hopping should seperate disconnects from real hopping.

• Like 1

yeah, and i just need to pull my internet cable to do some server hopping, i think thats not so simple to do,explain your idea more

yeah, and i just need to pull my internet cable to do some server hopping, i think thats not so simple to do,explain your idea more

+1

Would be to EZ to "hack" server hoping.

P.S. I never get disconnected from servers, your internet/computer have an issue. 

Sounds like latency. I have this issue occasionally during the evening when local network traffic is heavy.

+1

Would be to EZ to "hack" server hoping.

P.S. I never get disconnected from servers, your internet/computer have an issue. 

Funny that this guy assumes that because he has not had an issue with disconnects that if someone else does it cannot be game related. Please don't go into any customer/technical support fields.

Edited by Unforeseen

Funny that this guy assumes that because he has not had an issue with disconnects that if someone else does it cannot be game related. Please don't go into any customer/technical support fields.

Funny how your presence in this thread is usefull. 

Well there should be some way to detect a timeout.

It's not that easy, you know? If it would be it would be in the game already. You have to understand that this very likely is just a placeholder because the community was desperately screaming for it to come. It was implemented and now everyone is screaming that it's not good. :-/

Well, the Servers send a broadcast as soon as a Player got disconnected by a timeout. Even the client sends the message when your connection failed. At this state, the config should disable the punishment. It can't be that hard in my opinion. Ofcourse this issue is not urgent, if the netcode runs fluently, but currently the Servers are pretty unstable.

I just wanted to mention that this problem creeps me and surely many others out.

To give but one example: The day before I posted this, I tried to play with three different friends. After a while one of us got disconnected. Immediately he rejoined, while the others waited until his punishment of ~280 seconds was over. Within these 280 seconds, another one of us had a timeout and had to wait for the end of the punishment too. This chain of waiting repeated for several times, so the whole evening just became hours of waiting.

We checked our latency and switched Servers, but the problem repeated over and over again. Maybe we just had some unlucky days, but I didn't have any issues before the last update.

Edited by Spamsel

The only way around this as far as I could tell is to not have a timer if you are re-connecting to the same server after being disconnected, but that may end up being poor man's ghosting, eg, get shot at, run somewhere they are unlikely to get to you before 30 seconds is up, dcc wait 2 mins, log back in and catch shooter unaware. 

I know there's also been talk of a detection system for if you have been shot at in the last X min's but all of those systems would take extensive programming and likely create increased server lag (read:decrease in zombies and items able to be put on map) although this is from my limited knowledge of computing and networking.

So unfortunately in my opinion there isn't a "good" way to deal with this that a section of the players won't abuse.

"i never experience it, so it must not be an issue". what an ignorant reply

i dont see how you contribute to this discussion either. this is a real problem but getting rid of the anti-serverhopping timer is not a solution.

perhaps, the devs could actually work on fixing server/connection stability so we players don't need to stare at a ~250s countdown timer just because some random server decided to close down the connection upon connecting before. after all, we players can't be blamed when some servers work flawlessly while others lag and lose connection

I have 200+ hours of playing on lots of server and i never had a single disconnect so yes, my answer is revelant. 

What i can say is that some server companies seems to have more issue than other. I now try to find server nearby me but not only for ping, also for stability concern while playing. I also now pretty much only play on gameservers.com server since i ( and friends ) had ALOT of issue on vilayer servers. ( I'm in Quebec/Canada ) 

NO, server stability are not perfect but getting disconnected alot is still on the client side if you want my opinion. All my friends that have good computers with good internet connection never had any disconnect at all. We only had rubber banding and such issue on lots of server but like i told, since we added a bounch of good servers to our favorites these issue are 100% resolved for all 10+ of us playing together. 

My best advice as for now is simply to find a bounch of servers that are nearby you, with good ping and add these to your favorites. 

Even on 40 players, i get 18-20 ping, no rubber banding and no ghosting with other players and friends. 

Edited by Boulard83

I have 200+ hours of playing on lots of server and i never had a single disconnect so yes, my answer is revelant. 

Well as someone commented, this is a major issue as it is not for you at all.

It baffles me that ppl really do think a problem is non existent as long they do not encounter itself.

Time played and having a high end gaming rig do not tell anything, same goes for an Internet provider.

C'mon, most of us have all that now ;)

Come on,  he just want to brag about his gametime and computer spec ;)

But yes, me and my friends are having the same issues and it gets frustrating sometimes. Normally we are 4-5 people that plays together, and we all log in at the same time. Atleast 2/3 of us disconnects or game crashes within the first minutes, it sucks when you to have to wait 280 sec just to get inside again, and this is after maybe 5-10 minues of trying to connect to our favourite servers, that are constantly full.

But again, this is really just a time consuming running simulator!