VitalEcho

Anyone use a controller?

I attempted to but the sensitivity of the movement/aiming was horrendous that I couldn't even use it. The controls were pretty limited also.

I've seen various things like that in stores. They look interesting but i don't often play in a 'desktop' scenerio. I'm more often laying in bed with my laptop on my lap and controller in hand. 

Im on my couch the whole time.. :)

Yeah, I've always used a controller playing DayZ. It has been an absolute joy. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to use Xpadder, so I haven't been able to map some of the more useful functions (leaning, freelook, inventory, etc.) to the five or six unused/redundant buttons on the controller. If I could do that, I'd be 100%.

As of now, I commit the unforgivable sin of using a controller, mouse, and keyboard at the same time. Really should be put on my resume as evidence of multitasking. But I digress.

Anyone who says that DayZ's control scheme is somehow too complicated for controllers, is talking out of their ass. Played the mod since April of 2012 and now the SA, with a controller, still going strong.

@WrecklessMEDIC

Ermergerd. I think you just changed my life forever with that video.

Edited by Katana67

I use three. Got steering wheel pedals configured to lean left/right.

/peripheral pissing contest.

which pedals do you use?

I'm trying to set rig an xbox pad and pedals together using xpadder. I want to know that i can map the pedals to a key then use the pedals (or "keyboard") and my xbox pad in conjunction 

something like this:

Format is (per line)  Keyboard key / Action / Xbox control(or pedal)  

TAB / INVENTORY / Back?    

F/ FLASHLIGHT/  DPAD UP?  

SHIFT / WALK/RUN /double tap  

V / Jump (stepover) / Y      

SPACE / Raise fists/weapon / B?      

left mouse /  punch/fire / RT       

right mouse/   Zoom a raised weapon  / LT       

middle mouse /  Reload/interact with world   /  A      

1 to 0   /  cycle weapons  /  (left/right D pad? Possibly stick with two weapons and assing to keys 1&2 for left and right D pad)

ENTER  /  1st/3rd person switch  / ? 

X   / Crouch  / ?  

C / Stand  /   Middle pedal?

Z /  Go prone / Start?    

F1 / Emote wave   /     

F2 / Hands up (Friendly signal)     Middle pedal or xbox home button?

F3  /Sit down        /

Q  /Lean left /  LB  or left pedal

E / Lean right  / RB or  right pedal

CAPS / Activate voice mic /       

"/"   / Open chat     /     

B /  binoculars /  D pad up?      

N /  Night vision      /    

I've used the "double tap" to my advantage to free up buttons. so if i want to run I'll have to double tap up on the left stick but i think this is a fair trade-off to free up the analogue stick clicks (or button presses) to assign them to crouch or stand etc 

Edited by Zeromi

QhOGkIm.png

I only use the keyboard for my number pad hot bar items and global chat/text chat function and F key emotions/actions.

I have been playing the SA for 400+ hours with the Xbox 360 controller and Xpadder and have never had issues with clumsiness or reaction issues. I find that if I have all the primary functions mapped correctly to my preferences then I have no issue. I end up putting more people on the coast then people putting me on the coast and I would say its because I have better control over player positioning and movement rather than pure accuracy that the mouse may provide. 

Several of these keys have multiple bindings such as the left joy stick which has the keys X-C-Z binded to them so I can control crouching and laying down with clicks or holding it. I have my B button as Z if I need to lay down fast. My bumpers are set to number pad 1 and 3 as well as alt so I can quick look to the side with a click or hold to free look.

To assign different functions to one button /trigger is easy you just select advance options when you are given the virtual keyboard after selection a button. 

Edited by Canned Muffins

This game requires like 20 buttons minimum to play ..... why in the name of god would you even think using a controller is a viable option? And that's just currently they are probably going to add more stuff that requires even more buttons.

How are you going to learn to use the far superior KB + mouse if you don't even try? The entire inventory system is designed to use your mouse. Didn't see any mention of that in the video.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 2

This post inspired me to give controllers a try. 

My report is this: Garbage once you get used to KBM of any capacity. 

I get it if you're used to the controller. But let me tell you, having converted myself, the time put in getting used to KBM is well worth it in the end. Controllers just cannot compare once you get over feeling clumsy, and finally when you get to the point that you can move and aim much better with a KBM than with the controller.

Thats just my opinion. 

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

this isn't a post about which is better, that's been done to death. 

most people who use a controller don't question that KBM is a better option, some of us just prefer our pads. old habits die hard

now - anyone have any controller setup suggestions? I'm trying for a fallout 3 setup without VATS. so LB & RB are lean left/right.

Reading through these posts made me realise that you can assign actions in Xpadder to button holding rather than button presses so I'll be assigning crouch to a button hold and fully prone to a press of the same button. To go prone would feel more urgent so the very slight delay of having to hold the button can be left to crouch 

Edited by Zeromi

Got a controller (for other kind of games like Darksiders) always gives me a heartattack when it starts shaking on my desk whenever I fire my guns in dayz ^^

This game requires like 20 buttons minimum to play ..... why in the name of god would you even think using a controller is a viable option? And that's just currently they are probably going to add more stuff that requires even more buttons.

I've played for two years with a controller, haven't had any problems. I even have six or seven unused buttons on my 360 controller. If I could map the freelook, lean, and inventory keys (which I can with Xpadder) then I'd be 100%.

Plus, the "more buttons" argument is also rendered moot by the fact that one can program "functions" to certain buttons, effectively doubling or tripling the amount of actions able to be performed with a controller.

And just FYI, I use KBM and controller at the same time. Get on my level brah. Not to mention that this thread isn't here to demonstrate which one is "better". Willing to bet that most love KBM. I just prefer a controller when I'm playing a shooter.

Edited by Katana67

It's a PC game. Using a controller will put you at a significant disadvantage against PC gamers.

unless you take the awesome aim asist thats intended for controller and map it to your mouse. 1k shoots - easy. ( if engine draws you the enemy though ) 

Plus, the "more buttons" argument is also rendered moot by the fact that one can program "functions" to certain buttons, effectively doubling or tripling the amount of actions able to be performed with a controller.

Do you have any suggestions for a newbie on which actions work best with a function? (IE hold Right bumper and use analogue together to free look - probably a bad example but you get my meaning) 

I've only played maybe an hour of the game in total and maybe 5 minutes of that was with a control pad. I'd like to get a good setup sorted out for the xbox controller before I get invested. 

I've read that you shouldn't bind WASD to the left stick, but use "movement" instead? (I haven't tried to set up xpadder yet, so this is a little confusing). I want to have all the info before I start even thinking about programming keys to buttons

Do you have any suggestions for a newbie on which actions work best with a function? (IE hold Right bumper and use analogue together to free look - probably a bad example but you get my meaning) 

I've only played maybe an hour of the game in total and maybe 5 minutes of that was with a control pad. I'd like to get a good setup sorted out for the xbox controller before I get invested. 

I've read that you shouldn't bind WASD to the left stick, but use "movement" instead? (I haven't tried to set up xpadder yet, so this is a little confusing). I want to have all the info before I start even thinking about programming keys to buttons

Honestly, I don't! Haha.

I have been too lazy to buy/use Xpadder, that I just use the fixed default controls for ARMA/DayZ and have a keyboard and mouse sitting next to me on my bed for the other controls that I haven't mapped to my controller.

Check out the video on the first page, it has a pretty good breakdown of the guy's Xpadder setup.

Edited by Katana67

Honestly, like the op I'm from console gaming. I used to play duke nukem and unreal wayyyy back in the day. I found consoles much easier than PC due to that fact you don't have to worry about hardware. My buddy got me to download bf4 and was hooked. Its so much better. Graphically and even the controls. I do use a Xbox controller for PC racing games

don't get me wrong I like the controller style playing but playing a fps is keyboard and mouse all the way. Also getting a good gaming keyboard and mouse only makes it that much better. Now I'm still working on making stand/crouch/prone a guilt motion, its very robotic to me right now.

Check out the video on the first page, it has a pretty good breakdown of the guy's Xpadder setup.

I've started mapping now - i have the basics programmed: 

moving/aiming

open doors/interact/loot

draw weapon

aim

fire

lean left

lean right (though im not sure how useful this really is? any comments welcome)

crouch 

prone

once i have something more final I'll post my layout. I think it will be more intuitive to most console gamers than the layouts in the videos online 

I found this video very helpful in understanding the functions (or button sets)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zcvnTWkaGI

also - does anyone have any tips for using xpadder and being able to walk rather than running everywhere? I'd like to have a deadzone so i can walk at say a 25% stick push and run after 75% or even walk with the 100% stick and have to double tap the stick forward to run. 

Edited by Zeromi

okay - to save anyone new to dayz and xpadder some of the stress i went through, please read the following short guide on xpadder and some suggested dayz control setup. 

I used my xbox 360 controller but this can obviously be easily adapted for PS3 or other pads.

using the toggle and "hold zone" functions I've managed to get a pretty smooth control setup. Using one button for two or three functions has freed up many of my buttons and I'm playing the game without the need for different "sets" of buttons (so far but i think that may change when i get to vehicles. Luckily, with the setup I have now i actually have 3 buttons left unused which could later be used as set selectors)

ignoring the movement of the sticks (as if you can't figure that out then give up now), here's my layout:

(I'll explain how to setup button holds and toggles below)

X - Tap to jump/vault     (Hold to reload)

Y - (so far unassigned)

A - open doors/pick up items

B - Tap to go prone - (Hold for half a second to crouch) - (Hold for one second to stand)

Start - raise weapon

Back - inventory (Hold for map)

D-pad up - hands up (friendly signal) - (hold to kneel)

D-pad left - hot bar left

D-pad right - hot bar right

D-pad down (so far unassigned)

LB - toggle lean left

RB - toggle lean right

Left thumb stick click - free look

Right thumb stick click - (so far unassigned)

Left trigger - aim

right trigger - shoot

to enable the "hold" and "toggle" function - left click the button you want to add multiple functions to - go to advanced (bottom left) 

there are tabs for toggle/set selector/assignments etc, assignments is to assign button holds.

press the first key (EG Z for prone) then click add hold zone

press the next key you want to add to the same button (eg X for crouch"  then add hold zone again

press the final key (eg C to stand) 

I added 50ms to each hold function but that's personal preference 

(it should show as 0.50s)

I'm trying to learn how to add 'double tap' to a botton so i can add further functionality to one button but i' having too much fun exploring just now

I'm also looking into adding multiple button presses to one key. (so holding left trigger to aim would change the up and down D pad to zeroing while aiming)

Make sure you go into the devices and deactivate the control pad in the in-game menu. highlight the pad then click disable. As xpadder will be handling the instructions, the in game emulation would conflict and you'll end up with all kinds of weird things happening 

I hope this is of some help to some of you

please no "you're wasting your time, M&KB are superior". save it

I'll remind you of rule three of the forum which i'm sure you're familiar with (pfff)

Mods, if this is too long, let me know and I'll add spoiler tabs.

Thanks

Z