VitalEcho

Anyone use a controller?

So I use an xbox controller set-up with Xpadder to play Day Z, with only a few functions that I couldn't map on the keyboard. I'm used to consoles so it's waaay easier for me to aim and such with a controller. Anyone else do this? What sort of layout do you use, if so?

inb4 keyboard/mouse > controller for an FPS. (Even though Microsoft themselves have confirmed this.)

I only use one in the mod, to fly and drive with. I couldn't tell you the layout without looking at the program as I've been using it for almost 2yrs so it's 2nd nature now. I do feel that there are too many keys used in Dayz (will be more in the future) for a controller to be efficient.

It's a PC game. Using a controller will put you at a significant disadvantage against PC gamers.

Edited by Hutch
  • Like 13

The main issue I have is the Function keys, and the Z,X,C. Otherwise most of my controls are set up pretty good. 

As a console user I'm just used to a controller. Pointing with a mouse doesn't seem as intuitive. To each his own. 

Come to think of it, there are a couple of buttons I don't think I've been using. I'll need to figure out what they're set up to do... But yeah if anyone else uses one I'm interested to hear your set-up and how it's working for you. Thing is I play on a laptop, in my bed. So the keyboard/mouse doesn't work at all unless I feel like going to my desk to play. And I'm very new to PC games so I'm shit at using the keyboard in the best of circumstances. 

Edited by VitalEcho

Given that it's far, far from a twitch shooter I wonder if that reduces the gap between controller vs mouse & keyboard

It's a PC game. Using a controller will put you at a significant disadvantage against PC gamers.

That's only applicable to shooters like BF or Counterstrike.  I'd love to see better controller support so I can play dayz on my tv.

Given that it's far, far from a twitch shooter I wonder if that reduces the gap between controller vs mouse & keyboard

It'd be interesting to find out. I haven't gotten a chance to use a gun as of yet so can't really tell if the controller suits guns. I'm much more proficient with the melee weapons I've come across with a controller than a keyboard/mouse. But as I've said I don't claim to be proficient with a K/M.

That's only applicable to shooters like BF or Counterstrike.  I'd love to see better controller support so I can play dayz on my tv.

I'll list out my key-sets. I really don't have too many issues. If I had a chat-pad for my xbox controller it'd probably work even better. Not sure if my PC/Xpadder will recognize the additional buttons, however. 

Yeah, I use a controller for Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

Wait, you meant DayZ?

LOLOLOL

• Like 2

Using a controller would be simply idiotic. How would you bind all the keys?

Using a controller would be simply idiotic. How would you bind all the keys?

I use a controller exclusively and I have more than enough buttons to bind all of the keys.  I don't' even touch the keyboard or mouse.  I use Pinnacle Game Profiler and it lets you use a button (Left shoulder button for me) to shift to a whole new set of buttons that you can bind to keys.  You can also have multiple commands on one button if you press, hold, or double tap the buttons.  Works great for me

• Like 1

I guess you can say I use two controllers.  A keyboard and mouse.

• Like 4

It's applicable to any game that involves aiming and shooting. It is simply a fact that a mouse can aim way more precisely than a controller, and if you think aiming precisely isn't an important part of DayZ you might be insane.

OT: How does using a controller play out for you, is the game more or less clunky? Also do you not fear that you will be at a disadvantage in firefights?(no aim assist in DayZ).

I've always found controllers easier and more fun to use for just about any game. Might give this a try today.

- Nvm it's 10 bucks.

Edited by TripX7

I guess you can say I use two controllers.  A keyboard and mouse.

I use three. Got steering wheel pedals configured to lean left/right.

/peripheral pissing contest.

• Like 1

I use three. Got steering wheel pedals configured to lean left/right.

/peripheral pissing contest.

LOL.

The main issue I have is the Function keys, and the Z,X,C. Otherwise most of my controls are set up pretty good. 

As a console user I'm just used to a controller. Pointing with a mouse doesn't seem as intuitive. To each his own. 

Tried changing around inverted Y-axis/sensitivity etc.=

I am sure you'll do oki but it's all a matter of habbit.

Just like some prefer PS to Xbox controllers.

For the record I can't aim at all on a controller but I do use em for FIFA/Madden and non fps games.

I use mouse and keyboard for every other shooter i play but to be honest i use a controller for Dayz why well currently the mouse accel is ubber fucked at the moment and actually makes it harder for precise aiming rather than easier as it should...

Dont believe me slide mouse slowly and get super fast turn move mouse fast get slow turn ... What the you need to wire your brain in reverse to make good use of the mouse the way it stands in dayz......

I set something up for my brother who cant get comfortable with a keyboard; using XPadder:

LS: Move / Click and hold to Look / Double Click to go from First/Third Perspectives.

RS: Aim / Crouch & Stand Up

Back: Inventory

Start: Prone

D-Pad Up & Down: Mouse Wheel

D-Pad Left & Right: 1 & 2 on the Hot-bar

LB & RB: Lean Left and Right

LT: Aim

RT: Shoot

A: Sprint

X: Action Key / Reload (with mag)

Y: Toggle Raise Weapon

B: Vault

Everything else he needed he just used by hitting the specific key on the wireless keyboard next to him.

Edited by Strongtent

It's applicable to any game that involves aiming and shooting. It is simply a fact that a mouse can aim way more precisely than a controller, and if you think aiming precisely isn't an important part of DayZ you might be insane.

OT: How does using a controller play out for you, is the game more or less clunky? Also do you not fear that you will be at a disadvantage in firefights?(no aim assist in DayZ).

I'm used to console shooters. I'm quicker and more accurate with the controller. It also seems much less clunky to me. 

I use a controller exclusively and I have more than enough buttons to bind all of the keys.  I don't' even touch the keyboard or mouse.  I use Pinnacle Game Profiler and it lets you use a button (Left shoulder button for me) to shift to a whole new set of buttons that you can bind to keys.  You can also have multiple commands on one button if you press, hold, or double tap the buttons.  Works great for me

X-Padder has this functionality (Hold/tap a button to activate a seperate keybind setup), but I don't utilize it often. I'd use Double Taps/Holds for different functions but can't figure it out with X-Padder as of yet. Brings me to....

I set something up for my brother who cant get comfortable with a keyboard; using XPadder:

LS: Move / Click and hold to Look / Double Click to go from First/Third Perspectives.

RS: Aim / Crouch & Stand Up

Back: Inventory

Start: Prone

D-Pad Up & Down: Mouse Wheel

D-Pad Left & Right: 1 & 2 on the Hot-bar

LB & RB: Lean Left and Right

LT: Aim

RT: Shoot

A: Sprint

X: Action Key / Reload (with mag)

Y: Toggle Raise Weapon

B: Vault

Everything else he needed he just used by hitting the specific key on the wireless keyboard next to him.

Could you explain to me how to program a button to do something different for a Hold vs a double tap in X-Padder? Haven't figured this out. 

Edited by VitalEcho

Here is what I use, and it really helped get past my KBM noobness when I built my PC to play dayz back when the mod came out:

Left hand

e809_razer_nostromo.jpg

Right hand

blue-razer-mamba-1.jpg

On my lap, wireless

020812-apple-knock-01A_rect540.jpg

..I get the best of all worlds. Joystick movement, mouse crosshairs, plenty of extra keys.. :)

Here is what I use, and it really helped get past my KBM noobness when I built my PC to play dayz back when the mod came out:

Left hand

e809_razer_nostromo.jpg

Right hand

blue-razer-mamba-1.jpg

On my lap, wireless

020812-apple-knock-01A_rect540.jpg

..I get the best of all worlds. Joystick movement, mouse crosshairs, plenty of extra keys.. :)

I've seen various things like that in stores. They look interesting but i don't often play in a 'desktop' scenerio. I'm more often laying in bed with my laptop on my lap and controller in hand. 

I use Xpadder as well and I really like it. I too am much better with a controller than I am with a keyboard/mouse. Even though I've been playing PC games for many years, I'm still better with the controller. :)