spikes525

ultra rare katana

weapons.jpg?w=450

Kidding, it'd be a bitch and a half to replace the teeth after every couple of zombies.  Gimme a spear/halberd and I'll be fine.

I'll add in my 2 cents to the Katana fight...for those interested...

Yes it's an iconic sword (i'll be getting to that in a moment), yes the craftsmanship (in a real one) is top notch, the material it was made out of...not so much.  It's a slicing weapon, and you need quite a bit of skill to slice rather than chop.  Your average random jackass isn't going to pick up a Katana and be friggen Musashi Miyamoto.  Also as a slicing weapon they had to be kept sharp, who here (who doesn't have a katana) know how to sharpen one, yet alone your kitchen knives?  A cheep European sword (as in made of higher quality metals but lower craftsmanship) are made for the average grunt to wield, as in 'pointy end goes into the other man, and that concludes your training for today.  Here's a helmet, there's the war, the enemy are the ones dressed in red with gold lions on them.  Don't stab the guys in crimson with yellow lions on them as they're our friends.'  They're also usually made heavier to make up for the lack of quality on the blade itself, added weight to a swing = much harder hit, which is why the Katana pretty much bounced off of the broadsword in that gif I posted.

I oppose the Katana being in the game (at least in Chenarus) is because it's a weapon that requires a lot of skill to use properly, the likelihood of a REAL one (or even a decorative one) being found is very low for the locale.

Check this out. Katanas are an intricate way of trying to deal with making a weapon out of pig iron by spreading out the impurities. If you could smelt properly, this wouldn't be necessary. Also, they're not meant to stand up to metal armored opponents. They reached their high point in the edo period. The 1600s-1800s and they're still using pig iron. Just consider that.

I'd like a proper military arming sword.

Considering katanas from Japan are made out of folded steel with carbon in......! Maybe in your head pig iron but if you buy a real katana there made out of folded steel and were from the 1300's

NO KATANA IN GAME!!! No broadsword either, the most realistic thing would be a machete or kossack, and being able to stick a knife on a stick for a spear

man, who keeps updating this "shit"?

We got it:

80-90% of the Comm. don't like this idea.

It doesn't get any clearer from repeating...

i agree with a sword, not a katana, only a katana if there was like an "ultimate rarity" level where the chances of finding it are once in 500 hours of game time on average, pretty much no one in russia would have katanas. definitely european swords though, a pristine one should be the best melee weapon in the game

a pristine one should be the best melee weapon in the game

Hm.

I think, a sharpened Machete, Pickaxe, any Axe (to the head) or the sword should be OHK to the head/throat for a Zombie.

2-3 hits should cause unconsciousness + bleeding.

No thanks. No katanas.

First of all, real katanas aren't made in bulk. They're handmade and very expensive.

Second, it takes a lot of skill to wield a katana properly. You can't just hack away at stuff. I used to train Iaido, and just that gave me a lot of understanding of the properties of the weapon. The real art of striking with a katana is Kenjutsu. Consider the fact that it takes many years of training to be able to cut a bale of hay in two with one strike.

Third, it doesn't fit the setting.

• Like 1

Would Love a Katana
Perhaps if DayZ Adds Maps Elsewhere in the World Besides Just Chenaurus Would Be More of a Possibility

but Still For Me More Weapons/CustomizationThe Better ^_^

Holy necropost batman!

I'd like to see a variety of melee weapons. I'd like to see broadswords, maces, bearded axes, warhammers, etc. stuff made for the express purpose of killing, instead of repurposing other tools.

Like in a museum.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/211004-museum/

I saw an indonesian kris at a state university museum, and the local community college museum hosts touring displays, one in particular featured arms and armor from ancient greece up until the 1500s to 1600s.

Edited by agouti

Katanas were a last ditch weapon. Samurai favored the bow and the spear/naginata, and the katana was something you drew when your other weapons were lost. Even when dueling, the katana was typically the last weapon to be drawn. The only reason the katana became synonym with the samurai is because samurai had the privilege of wearing katana and wakizashi in public, and thus most contemporary images of the samurai depict them with swords. 

And yes, compared to other contemporary swords, the katana is pretty weak. They were only 'pure' by Japanese standards. It's horrible against even basic chain mail, let alone scales or steel plates. 

And now I want a naginata in the game, dammit!

• Like 1

Why have katanas when we can have some of these european beauties right here

immagine.png

Or a true medieval spear, the big ones!

• Like 1

I would pay good money for a chance to scream "FOR THE RED AND BLACK!!!" before charging at a horde of zombies with a Zweihänder...

You filthy Agathan scum!

• Like 1

OOHH the bravery of being out of range... KILLTHEARCHERRSS

Edited by Avant-Garde

EDIT: Deleted. Sorry, just had to vent.

Edited by Strawman

ugh, no thanks...

The "real katanas can cut through a thousand inches of bone and steel" crap needs to DIE already... In the end, any sword is just a sharpened bar of steel; it does NOT have magic cutting properties, regardless of how many times the metal was folded... It would be no different than the machete already in-game, except longer and two-handed... You're NOT going to run around the world slashing eight zombies in half at once because katana...

Edited by t3h_kgb

On 4/9/2014 at 7:19 AM, PaulyB_1994 said:

Considering katanas from Japan are made out of folded steel with carbon in......! Maybe in your head pig iron but if you buy a real katana there made out of folded steel and were from the 1300's

Steel = Iron + Carbon, possibly with impurities as well, depending on the timeframe, technology, and smelting/smithing method... So your "katana is folded steel and carbon" argument isn't really an argument; just an observation that steel is indeed an alloy of iron and carbon... Like I said above, any sword is simply a sharpened bar of steel. How you use it and the shape of that bar can vary, but katanas are NOT magic swords, regardless of how "real" they may be... Furthermore, Japan didn't have the best smithing practices back then; katanas were nothing special, metal-wise, and were just as brittle and carbon-laced and junky as any other open-smelted carbon steel sword of their respective eras....

Like 99% of the katana is myth brought on by the fact that ONLY samurai in good standing were legally allowed to own swords (katanas) in feudal Japan, thus leading the "common man" to make up stories of grandeur because they were dumb back then compared to today's basic knowledge (i.e. the fact that 99% of the world's population at that time didn't have much more understanding of science than a 3rd grader today, etc)...

Edited by t3h_kgb

3 hours ago, t3h_kgb said:

Steel = Iron + Carbon, possibly with impurities as well, depending on the timeframe, technology, and smelting/smithing method... So your "katana is folded steel and carbon" argument isn't really an argument; just an observation that steel is indeed an alloy of iron and carbon... Like I said above, any sword is simply a sharpened bar of steel. How you use it and the shape of that bar can vary, but katanas are NOT magic swords, regardless of how "real" they may be... Furthermore, Japan didn't have the best smithing practices back then; katanas were nothing special, metal-wise, and were just as brittle and carbon-laced and junky as any other open-smelted carbon steel sword of their respective eras....

Like 99% of the katana is myth brought on by the fact that ONLY samurai in good standing were legally allowed to own swords (katanas) in feudal Japan, thus leading the "common man" to make up stories of grandeur because they were dumb back then compared to today's basic knowledge (i.e. the fact that 99% of the world's population at that time didn't have much more understanding of science than a 3rd grader today, etc)...

Bruh.......

BRUH

THAT POST WAS FROM THREE GODDAMN YEARS AGO.

• Like 1

Someone said something about "It's in russia, there wouldn't be KATANAS!"

I currently am drinking out of a cup from israel and am sitting on a chair imported from japan. It's 2016+ i'm pretty sure people could have experienced others cultures.

On 12/30/2016 at 11:29 PM, Whyherro123 said:

Bruh.......

Yeah, I know.... I just had to say something; combating katana myths MUST be done....

On 1/1/2017 at 1:54 PM, camcantrun said:

Someone said something about "It's in russia, there wouldn't be KATANAS!"

I currently am drinking out of a cup from israel and am sitting on a chair imported from japan. It's 2016+ i'm pretty sure people could have experienced others cultures.

^ This. My car is from Germany and my truck is from Japan, despite my living very near the geographic center of the North American continent... Yet we're to believe that Russia and Japan have never traded?? Or to believe that Russian cutlery makers, for the past few millennia since the discovery of steel, have never made a katana-shaped object?

Still, though, katanas are just a sharpened bar of steel... The hatchet and machete would be more effective melee weapons and multipurpose tools... Plus, the katana wouldn't store in a bag, and would have to be carried on the back like the stick or long rifles... It would be an item that would get largely passed over for better, more modern multipurpose tools... It would make for some funny YouTube videos of people slugging it out with swords, but that's really the only use for them in the game.

Edited by t3h_kgb

Are we to believe that poor country like chernarus, had some fedora tipping neckbeard get himself a glorious nippon steel katana? Sure swords, sabres and other European / Eurasian weapons, but nah Michone not a katana. 

Edited by General Zod

I see no sense in having swords in the game when there are no cut animations, nor deaths related to those

On 1/14/2017 at 6:17 AM, General Zod said:

Are we to believe that poor country like chernarus, had some fedora tipping neckbeard get himself a glorious nippon steel katana? Sure swords, sabres and other European / Eurasian weapons, but nah Michone not a katana. 

It's not impossible, especially in the bigger cities... Though I'd doubt they'd have a "real katana" as in a Japanese-made sword, but some cheaper Chinese or Russian made knockoff is not impossible.... Again, though, the only difference between a "real katana" and a modern Chinese or Russian copy is that the Chinese or Russian copy will most likely be made of better steel... ;)

On 1/20/2017 at 6:13 PM, exwoll said:

I see no sense in having swords in the game when there are no cut animations, nor deaths related to those

Yep, seems a useless addition, tbqh, especially with all the stuff they've yet to fix and tweak to perfection and etc...

10 hours ago, t3h_kgb said:

It's not impossible, especially in the bigger cities... Though I'd doubt they'd have a "real katana" as in a Japanese-made sword, but some cheaper Chinese or Russian made knockoff is not impossible.... Again, though, the only difference between a "real katana" and a modern Chinese or Russian copy is that the Chinese or Russian copy will most likely be made of better steel... ;)

I somehow don't think so, not that the 1000 time folded nippon steel is the best in the world. But a functional sword made of good quality steel would be expensive, charnarus is poor so it's unlikely there will be a katana collector. 

Edited by General Zod

There is plenty of infrastructure in Chernarus, and there are always rich and poor in every country and every region. Surely someone in Chernarus had a katana... If not, they had some other sort of mostly-decorative long cutlery...

Further, a usable sword (doesn't have to be glorious Nippon steel folded 1000 times, especially since today's general high-carbon steels are a world better than the steels of the olden days) isn't actually too terribly expensive; you can find plenty of usable tameshigiri katanas as low as USD$100, if you look in the right places.... If it's not an actual "made in Japan by a Japanese swordsmith" sword, the ONLY reasons you'll pay over $130 for a sword are for added pretty, better workmanship, and better brand name... SkyJiro makes BEAUTIFUL $3000 swords... In China... Not too far away from where Shinwa makes their $60 junk... ;) And the bulk of the reason why you pay so much for Japanese-made katanas is because it has to go through government paperwork in order to leave the country... That, mixed with the fact that it was source-made (sorta like if a Danish forge company started perfectly metallurgically recreating the Ulfberht and Denmark ruled said objects to be "cultural objects" and tax and monitor their export, etc)... Also, the hype and myth behind the katana helps a lot too...

Further, "functional quality" can be as low as 1045 carbon, though I'd prefer around 1065, as it has a good high carbon content, but not too high as to make it a bit too brittle for making an undead re-dead... 1050-1080 katanas can be found quite plentifully, in fact... Really, the difference between a blade of 1045 and 1095 is just how long it'll hold an edge (95 will hold it better), deformation of cutting edge during hard object strikes (45 will bend/chip easier if it comes into contact with something hard like another steel or somesuch), and bending (95 will break, 45 will just deform and be bent).... Ideally, 1060-1080...

And really, if you're in a zombie apocalypse situation, and you need to make zombie bits and all you got handy is a $30 "440 stainless" wall hanger, the wall hanger will most likely do the job...

P.s. Before anyone jumps down my throat about "1095 doesn't break that easily cuz it's hard", let me clarify: I meant that 1095 is hard; it won't bend as easily as 1045.... BUT, should either piece of steel be bent to a specific angle, 1045 will be far more inclined to bend and deform, whereas 1095 will likely break... Yes, it'll deform too, but 45 will reach far more extreme angles without breaking... But, again, 45 will STAY at an angle if bent to that extreme... 95 will ultimately break at such an angle... Here's the thing: The harder a steel is, the more brittle it is... Meaning, it'll be stiffer and stronger compression-wise, but it'll ultimately shatter and break before it can bend... Softer steel, on the other hand, is less brittle; it will be far more inclined to bend and stay at that angle than it would to shatter and break... In fact, the reason many Japanese katanas have that wavy line on the blade is because they are "differentially hardened", meaning clay is applied to the blade to keep the spine cooler than the edge during a hardening process... Thus, it creates two ever-so-slightly grades of steel (hardened, and less-hardened), on just one piece of steel, and the result is a harder edge that will stay sharp longer, and a softer, springier edge, to allow more flexibility... The line, by the way, is called a "hamon"...

Not sure if that has been shared yet, but that's how steel works. :)

Edited by t3h_kgb