dulix11

Third Person Fix

Hello,

I made a topic about this a while ago, but decided to remake one for all of the newcomers who have joined since the release of the SA.

Third person is usually used to exploit the game by using free look to peek around corners and walls. 

FIX: Make anything that you can interact with, invisible. Loot, zombies, players etc are invisible unless your character has it in his/her FoV. That way, the only way you will be able to see other players / loot / zombies is to be facing them directly.

Discuss.

• Like 1

Or you could just play hardcore...?

What the hell would even be the point of still having TP if everything is invisible?

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 5

Or you could just play hardcore...?

What the hell would even be the point of still having TP if everything is invisible?

I, like many people, use it because 

a, first person gives you a headahce.

b, because travelling around the countryside solely in first person is pretty boring imo

c, taking screenshots...?

• Like 1

I agree it is fine as is, also making things invisible just because your in TP would be a terrible decision.

Must be a sad and painfull real-life getting headache from first-person view...

Maybe this treats all migraine issues in real-life... We have to invent the 3rd-Person-View-Drone for all females in the world. yay

(I´m not a sexist, I suffer from migraine myself but it´s an rediculous excuse...)

Do not play for 10 hours before (real-life)rest your eyes and body, think of a lightsource other than your display and the blinkything attached to your cpu-fan (no the 3 reddots from your trackIR dont count!), keep distance to your display and eat enough clean food other than fastfood... ^^

Can´t think either, that the make-invisible-method would be slowing the engine down... and that´s not acceptable (to me).

So your suggesting that when the red guy cant see the beans until he walks to where the purple guy is, then the beans will magically appear?

I can't be understanding this right?

Untitled.png

Sorry for the silly drawing...I was bored, lol!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking of something like this, where when you are near any wall or obstacle that the camera will be blocked by an invisible wall/s

that prevent you from seeing over or around something when in in 3rd person. Not sure if I even like this idea. Was just trying to come up with an alternative to the OP.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83
  • Like 1

I've never understood the hate for 3rd person. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Yeah I can look over walls and around corners with it, but so can everyone else. I look inside the Jail building from the safety of standing next to the door, but it does me little help if someone is behind the stairs looking around the corner with 3rd person and when I walk in he just leans out and fills me with lead.

This is why I actualy consider hardcore servers easier than regular servers.

a, I have never suffered from any sort of headache in first person. As long as I keep the head bobbing off because that just makes me sea sick.

b, I disagree, travelling is always boring

c, I actualy prefer taking my screenshots from first person because my own guy is just in the way of the shot if you take screenshots in 3rd.

Different hives for regular and hardcore servers is currently the best and only solution.

• Like 3

Hardcore. Yes I know it's been said before, but... HARDCORE!

TL;DR: Hardcore... Just saying!

• Like 1

Any particular reason to not use any of the other threads, thats already here?

It wont help anyone, to make more threads and spread the information out, even more, especially for newcomers.

• Like 3

We've had several humungous threads about that in the last 6 months or so...

I think 3PP makes combat behaviour totally ridiculous and I don't want to play that way. I also encourages rooftop (or similar) camping where the camper can lay prone in safety while still have perfect 360° vision. That makes scanning rooftops for possible snipers pointless and you have to adapt your tactic to just running from cover to cover. This again changes players behaviour to something implausible...if you take real world behaviour as a reference.

With 3PP:off you can't see without exposing yourself. You will have many situations where you have to make a decision: to know whats going on or to be safely behind cover. With 3PP enabled often enough you can just have both at the same time. Sure players love that...but it's unrealistic, implausible and ridiculous. I cannot respect players needing or even just wanting to play with 3PP enabled.

• Like 2

Not sure exactly how they would write a script for this.

I'd rather they just keep it a server setting. I don't even use it all that often, though, so I wouldn't be upset if they got rid of it.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

The thing is, implementing this in the engine is almost impossible, think for a second there!!!

and as it was said , rest your head if you get headaches or noxious from 1st person, you shouldn't play too much of it!!

I am a 1st person fan and i despise the "corner guy with a shotgun waiting for you to appear in order to shoot you in the face", but i don't want to terminate the 3rd person, i sometimes play on it, yes it is unfair but you gotta learn to be a damn ninja and not a rambo going in with an axe and stop posting more of these things!!!

• Like 2

This game is already hardcore. You can't have gamey gamemode and hardcore gamemode. 3pp players go fuck yourselves.

• Like 2

How many threads do you need to make before you realise that most of the people involved with the game - devs included - don't give two shits about third/first person beyond having the option to disable one of them for your server?

If I'm being abusive, it's because you're flogging a dead and mostly rotten horse - and the argument had died down to little more than embers before you decided to throw more shit on the fire. Congratulations.

Edited by Wolfguarde

How many threads do you need to make before you realise that most of the people involved with the game - devs included - don't give two shits about third/first person beyond having the option to disable one of them for your server?

Because that's not true. Some guy made a thread where he collected all recent information about whats going on in development of DayZ. Issues with the exploitation of 3PP was mentioned as a constant topic for debate within the dev team.
  • Like 1

Going to have to agree with he OP here...  Being able to to exploit 3rd person view is and has completely changed the dynamic of a shooter...  It not only breaks immersion, but allows for all sorts of cheese ball behavior...  It's just plane stupid...  Dayz needs to implement a very similar feature as to what's shown in that 2017 youtube video...

There's already an implementation called "The 4th Wall" which simply won't show players or zeds not in the field of vision of the eyes of your character. It's going to be in 2017 mod for Arma3.

I think it's not perfect but a decent compromise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0fWg1UkGP8#t=850

Starting at 14:10... This definitely needs to come to dayz for normal servers or ill just end up playing on private hives that support this once private hives and modding is allowed.

The problem is people gaining information that they shouldn't have access to. You cannot argue that if we're both crouched behind the same wall and you can see over that wall, but I cannot, that you automatically have an information advantage over me. It may not be enough for you to win the coming battle, but it definitely gives you a massive edge over me.

Making players and items invisible when not in the avatars FOV is a good (not perfect) solution to this and creates a fair playing field between 1pp and 3pp players on a regular server. 3pp should be used for people who enjoy playing from that perspective and like to look at their characters, but it should not give them an advantage over people who don't want to play that way.

I've mentioned this before, but I don't have the luxury of lots of populated Hardcore servers to play on. Usually it's only one or two in my region with 5 or 6 players on them, unless I get lucky or it's late night on a weekend. 

They should do something like this.

They won't. Too much money on offer from sales to the kiddies who want to camp on a roof and 3pp exploit for risk free kills.

The thing is, implementing this in the engine is almost impossible, think for a second there!!!

and as it was said , rest your head if you get headaches or noxious from 1st person, you shouldn't play too much of it!!

I am a 1st person fan and i despise the "corner guy with a shotgun waiting for you to appear in order to shoot you in the face", but i don't want to terminate the 3rd person, i sometimes play on it, yes it is unfair but you gotta learn to be a damn ninja and not a rambo going in with an axe and stop posting more of these things!!!

Not that I agree with removing 3PP, personally, I think there's hardcore servers for people who want the 3PP off... but, doing it wouldn't be difficult. 3D engines already cull objects based on what you can or cannot see (they don't render things you can't see to save system resources, etc), so they could just cull the objects in 3PP view based on 1PP and that would work on what the OP was suggesting. That said, it is silly, when you have the option of logging into a Hardcore server and turning off head bobbing. :)

That said, it is silly, when you have the option of logging into a Hardcore server and turning off head bobbing. :)

Once again, not everyone has the option of logging into a HC server. 

And even if that is the case, why should the advantage exist at all, regardless of server type? For what reasons should 3pp be allowed to retain it's large information gathering advantage over 1pp, hardcore aside. 

People argue that they like 3pp because they like to see their character, or 1pp gives them a headache. If that's the case then surely no one would have an issue with evening up the score when it comes to being able to see things that effect gameplay.

Once again, not everyone has the option of logging into a HC server. 

And even if that is the case, why should the advantage exist at all, regardless of server type? For what reasons should 3pp be allowed to retain it's large information gathering advantage over 1pp, hardcore aside. 

People argue that they like 3pp because they like to see their character, or 1pp gives them a headache. If that's the case then surely no one would have an issue with evening up the score when it comes to being able to see things that effect gameplay.

Seeing as someone is actually fixing 3rd person so you cant have that advantage in a mod so you cant see over things and such, I would hope this can get brought over to standalone or something similar to it. Heres another vid.

I like being able to switch between 3rd and 1st.. Dont care for the fact that you can look over things with the camera though and see people, zombies normally not in LoS.

Edited by cels
  • Like 1