rocket

Pending Changelog: Experimental Branch: 0.42.116002

Pretty slack nowadays with the updates aren't they? Not so much the updates themselves but actually posting about it. Experimental 43 has been out for weeks and still not a topic about it. Very poor form IMO

• Like 4

Pretty slack nowadays with the updates aren't they? Not so much the updates themselves but actually posting about it. Experimental 43 has been out for weeks and still not a topic about it. Very poor form IMO

My question is where are the servers?

I wanna check out the new stuff.

My question is where are the servers?

I wanna check out the new stuff.

They don't have any servers up, atleast I cannot find any. Apparently they were supposed to put them up this week(?)

Apparently they were supposed to put them up this week(?)

That's what I thought too.

Oh well.

Got the mod to pass the time anyway.

there are 8 server SE and DE regions, SE just came online a day ago while DE was on for a long time( you rpobably need to increase the ping limit). I do agree a changelog should be a slight priority, cause you know we are testers and we can't do it when we don't know what to test, but it matters not.it is experimental alpha after all.

Just checked out the dayz dev tumblr... For all those complaining about updates this next one (or couple ) will feature some amazing stuff .. Just check the link that bone boys dropped .

there are 8 server SE and DE regions, SE just came online a day ago while DE was on for a long time( you rpobably need to increase the ping limit). I do agree a changelog should be a slight priority, cause you know we are testers and we can't do it when we don't know what to test, but it matters not.it is experimental alpha after all.

Yea, I just noticed that. Too bad joining them will delete your old character on experimental.

Just checked out the dayz dev tumblr... For all those complaining about updates this next one (or couple ) will feature some amazing stuff .. Just check the link that bone boys dropped .

Well they did say the update is going to happen this week, I hardly belive it is going to be on sunday.

Edited by Dafix

There is much more better stuff to do on Sunday as Liverpool and Man City playing. :) So close after 24 years.

Yea, I just noticed that. Too bad joining them will delete your old character on experimental.

My character hasn't get deleted. SE server had some problems to connect the main hive but on DE servers I've played with my old character.

Wait .. the other thread has been closed for what exactly? ...now everyone is writing into this other thread.... and everyone will move to another thread if you close this thread as well. Are you planning to close every forum thread? You are not helping.. you're making it even crappier because now the information will be split across multiple threads and everything will be more disorganized than before.

Stay on Topic and you will be fine.

Read the Rules.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/153786-forum-rules-roles-and-guidelines/#entry1542144

So I went to the tumblr and saw the crossbow which looks very nice.  I hope that they allow us to take the bolt or arrow from the dead body.  

read so much stuff about tumblr, twitter, reddit ... please get your stuff together into that official forum. no reason for me to continue posting things at this point.

playing arma 3, guess 2014 it's the only game you need ... even mods that are on alpha right now looking better (gettin better support) ... fix or lose money, thats how business works guys.

• Like 3

Careful, i wouldnt criticize anything that this forum does, lest you are silenced and your posts are hidden. Shhhh you love dayz, you love how they are handling the information across 5 different sites, you LOVE this game, and they can do NO wrong. You would do best to remember this. Conform, conform, conform. Want any real info, leave this site, and go anywhere else.

Off-Topic as usual.

• Like 1

The thread title is about the 116002 ... so 90% of the posts into this thread are off topic? If so, where exactly in this forum we can talk about this topics, please explain:

- The current stable branch (features and changelog);

- The current experimental branch (same as above);

- The upcoming experimental branch (changelog);

Thank you for your clarification.

• Like 4

So it seems Rocket indirectly addressed my concerns about the lack of patch notes and general communication WRT experimental:

because experimental updates can come at any time, with any frequency, we are not able to produce patch notes. Things can be removed from the build at a moments notice. Experimental updates are development snapshots, so to publish an accurate changelog we would have to manually prepare and check everything which is quite time consuming.

I'm sorry, but for months you managed to provide a changelog, and never needed to provided an accurate changelog. The changelog was always highlighting the most important changes and leaving out the minor stuff. What the devs don't seem to understand is that we don't know what we're supposed to test, would it kill them to post a brief note with the most important changes that could use feedback on the bug tracker?

Edit: I would have responded to him directly on Reddit but like many other people I don't have an account for or even use that site, just pointing this out because one of the major issues going on here is the complete fragmentation of information.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 8

A change log is produced in the moment you check and commit the changes for a build, you would only "censor" some info (because they couldn't be spread to the public, anti-cheat, or other sensible information).

Producing a very accurate change log is a matter of minutes and it isn't "time consuming" at all, because in fact it's already available: the change log doesn't only tell the consumer of the changes, but its primary utilization is to tell the team itself of what has been done.

If you're really spending time to compile a change log manually, collecting info here and there, there's something really wrong into your dev team organization, and i would ask the Development Director (isn't he Dean?) to review it.

• Like 5

So it seems Rocket indirectly addressed my concerns about the lack of patch notes and general communication WRT experimental:

I'm sorry, but for months you managed to provide a changelog, and never needed to provided an accurate changelog. The changelog was always highlighting the most important changes and leaving out the minor stuff. What the devs don't seem to understand is that we don't know what we're supposed to test, would it kill them to post a brief note with the most important changes that could use feedback on the bug tracker?

Edit: I would have responded to him directly on Reddit but like many other people I don't have an account for or even use that site, just pointing this out because one of the major issues going on here is the complete fragmentation of information.

Or at least make a list of things they specifically want tested so that those of us that really want to help get an idea of what to do.

Like for example if there are problems with spray painting the fire axe and they let us know that, those who want to help can focus on getting cans of spray paint and run around spray painting every fucking axe they can find. That would save us testers some time and energy.

Edited by Strawman
  • Like 4

At this point from my perspective, this project needs a severe lesson in community management.

I am unaware of a better example (although I am sure there are far better examples) of why "social networking" sucks donkey balls when it comes to managing information dissemination about...anything really.

Spreading info around to twitter, blog, fb (not much there really), and the always god-awful reddit...forcing the community itself to manage the information available for itself...makes for the situation we have now, where more and more people are willing to express their dissatisfaction with the fact we are being kept largely ignorant with what is going on with the game some of us play daily.

I would put it this way: since it is highly likely that those who wanted this game have already bought it, future sales will depend on the continuing popularity of the game.

Therefore, it is vital to the future of this game to manage it's existing community with care. A large part of that is to be forthright about changes/updates, and clear about future plans but always with a bit of care in place about making too grandiose of promises that will inevitably fail to be implemented. Be mindful of your existing player-base now, and be successful in the future!

Fat chance my comments reach those who should hear it, though. It is for me, worth at least the attempt...and where better but the official forums, and the official current exp. and stable release threads?!?!!?

• Like 4

So much this ^. Excellent post.

When it comes to community management the story of World of Tanks comes to mind.

World of Tanks was originally budgeted for a market of 600 000 users, in Russia and neighbouring countries. Last year they passed the 60 million mark and hold the Guiness World Record of "most concurrent users on one server". The game grew bigger and faster than Wargaming.net could imagine, and needless to say their community management was chaos for a long while. They were a small studio and didn't know how to handle such a large player base, nor did they have the resources in manpower to do so. They tried to catch up by expanding with offices and community managers in different areas of the world to deal with the respective player bases (as different areas of the world needs to be managed differently). It took them quite a while to get there. I'm not sure how it is today, but I do remember the vast work they had to put into it.

DayZ might have grown larger than Bohemia expected, and they might not have considered the different approach that is needed when it comes to managing a larger player base as opposed to a smaller one. Hopefully they realise they need to work on this before it gets even more out of hand. The sooner they realise this the less work will be needed to deal with it, and the less disgruntled players they will have.

On a related note World of Tanks also had trouble getting their patches out in time for quite a while. They often missed deadlines and updates were delayed by weeks. Nowadays as I understand it they have quarter yearly patches.

Edited by Strawman
  • Like 1

***constructive criticism***

I thought the community should be involved in the development of this game. This is not the case (please read on).

The situation right now looks like 45 % of the players say "everythings fine, excellent work, move on" and the other 45 % are complaining like "what the fuck, this game is crap, do this and this or i´m out!". The other 10 % are giving constructive thoughts and ideas. That´s it. And it was predictable. 

The problem imho is that there is no suitable stream of information between the dev team and the community.

It is not acceptable, that changes are made, whether on experimental or stable, and no information about these changes are given. Imagine this situation at developing a car and don´t tell the testdriver anything. That´s insane. 

We NEED informations. Give them to us... on ONE site of the internet... often... It doesn´t have to be much. Just tell us what you´re doing, what has changed and IF you´d like to hear the community on that. This could be done in 15 minutes at the end of the day. 

Also there must be a simpler way to share your thoughts (as a player). Think of some voting system in this forum or something.

***constructive criticism***

Please think about it. 

Sincerely,

a fan from Germany

Edited by Kanthos
  • Like 8

Yup...some of my posts would support what Kanthos has written, but mods love deleting my shit cuz they can't handle it!

50/50 if i get banned supporting other posts like this...mods = gods!

• Like 2

so, I guess this the place for posting impressions about the new experimental.

yeah, bow is there, throwing is there. so what? 

- random game crashes -> character reset (maybe I got killed but it happened about 3-4 times in various locations, so prodevs, spare it)

- watch tower -> drink from canteen -> dead (no shots, nothing, nobody there, leg pain only)

- random annoying sounds - still there, maybe even more present

- massive delay by item usage, eat, drink, bandage, pickups

- occasionally rubber banding, but not often and not very long 

- items still half-buried into the floor

- damage to zeds massive reduced (not necessarily a fail, but had to mention it)

overall, another fail, PLEASE DON'T BRING IT TO STABLE! *maybe just sell the game already to some studio who can deliver*

Edited by kapnobatai
  • Like 1