Officer25

Multiple Rifles

So you just found the mosin you've been looking for... but you already have an M4. Hardest choice in your life has to be made, now.

Why not carry both?

Wouldn't you just love to carry a M4 and a Mosin?

My suggestion is that you can put a rifle on either the left or right side of your backpack. Make the melee slot not a melee only slot anymore.

There's already enough melees you can carry around inside your backpack to make that slot open for another rifle!

Gun straps have been suggested before, which are straps that hold a second rifle around your body. 

I would agree that gun straps are another alternative to carrying 2 rifles, but I would prefer to have a choice if I wanted to carry my second rifle with a loud strap dangling from my body, or ditch the melee and have a rifle on the left and right side of my backpack.

Edited by Officer25
  • Like 1

You know you can carry two rifles already? Just put one on your back as normal then select the second rifle on ground choose the 'take xxx into hands' option.

US soldiers usually carry one rifle in a war situation...

What, in this game you're playing as a US soldier and you carry one Rifle? No.

• Like 1

You know you can carry two rifles already? Just put one on your back as normal then select the second rifle on ground choose the 'take xxx into hands' option.

Obviously OP means carrying both on your back.

Yeah, you should be able to switch the melee on your back with a second rifle.

Edited by myshl0ng

What, in this game you're playing as a US soldier and you carry one Rifle? No.

I meant to say they do not carry a pistol, a rifle, a machine gun and a sniper rifle around with 10 boxes of ammo.

• Like 2

Both would be too dumb, TBH.

Sometimes, reality can destroy the fun.

I think, it's good as it is.

To make a decision, to make DayZ feel a bit uncomfortable is what's it's about, IMO.

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 1

Without being forced into making decisions like - do I drop this lantern for that bag of rice? do I keep my badly damaged TTsKo jacket or take that pristine hoodie? do I keep my Mosin that I have lots of ammo for or take the M4 I have no ammo for? - then the game becomes boring.  So I answer to your question, nope, nope, nope.

• Like 4

Making choices is at the heart of this game, and the choice of your main weapon is important, so I vote to keep the "one rifle slot" system.

Besides, you can already carry two rifles. How many more do you want?

• Like 1

There are going to be special backpacks which can hold rifles. Rocket stated this a while ago on a livestream.

but i hope with a drawback, like longer "readytime", or so

• Like 1

but i hope with a drawback, like longer "readytime", or so

I'd also like another drawback...it's called fatigue.

• Like 1

I'd also like another drawback...it's called fatigue.

Have you ever tried carrying a heavy scoped rifle in a dragbag on your back?  I have, along with ammo, target stand, bipod, targets, and a shotgun with ammo for that as well.  You pick it up by hand and think "There is no way i'm hiking 5 feet with this let alone a few hundred and then up a steep hill that requires 4wd trucks to drive on."  Then you sling it on your back and start thinking, "Wow I wonder if I can stuff anything else in it before I go, because I can barely feel it."

Have you ever tried carrying a heavy scoped rifle in a dragbag on your back?  I have, along with ammo, target stand, bipod, targets, and a shotgun with ammo for that as well.  You pick it up by hand and think "There is no way i'm hiking 5 feet with this let alone a few hundred and then up a steep hill that requires 4wd trucks to drive on."  Then you sling it on your back and start thinking, "Wow I wonder if I can stuff anything else in it before I go, because I can barely feel it."

Was that while carrying a backpack with 200 cans of beans in it?

Was that while carrying a backpack with 200 cans of beans in it?

No, that would be in place of a backpack.   Plus sorry but I can't help but point out the overexageration, 200 cans?  The largest backpack has 35 slots?  Plus beans are usually in 16oz packages, which means one pound... 35 means only 35lbs, most excersize weight vests are 15-35... volume is more the issue, because I would guess most people would have no problem hauling 50lbs in a decent pack. 

200lbs though?  For any length of time it would be an issue. 

I say disable the ability to pick up a second rifle, its bugged anyways, and all the rifles clip on the backpack or look really silly, i think rifles should holster in front and melee weapons should be half inside the backpack, a bit offtopic but ye. :D

Edited by whothehellishe

Out of curiosity, how would you holster a weapon in the front?  I can't picture that, unless you are talking about a 3point sling which would be out of place on anything but millitary rifles, and even then usually is only seen on special ops because it can be a pain to deal with.

As for being on the back pack it does seem strange to me that you don't need rope to attach it, not all guns come with or are capable of using slings... and how the heck do you just stick a fire axe or bat on your back? 

Sorry I really was curious about holstering on the front.

No, that would be in place of a backpack.   Plus sorry but I can't help but point out the overexageration, 200 cans?  The largest backpack has 35 slots?  Plus beans are usually in 16oz packages, which means one pound... 35 means only 35lbs, most excersize weight vests are 15-35... volume is more the issue, because I would guess most people would have no problem hauling 50lbs in a decent pack. 

200lbs though?  For any length of time it would be an issue. 

A lot of people say they hike with 25kg packs no problems..the problem with it is if they were hiking DayZ style ( cross country and up and down steep hills and staircases ) with more than 50kg ( because a second rifle, a pack with food and drink cans, boxes of ammo and all the stuff your character can carry weigh a lot ) sprinting all the time they won't even last 10 minutes because there is no need to take a break, will all that on you a 5 minute break will not help actually taking a break might make the rest of the trip even worse that's why you are not supposed to take off your boots since your feet will swell. And even if you have a comfortable belt system that spreads the weight on shoulders and hips it will not be very comfortable after a while.

• Like 2

Maybe you can run faster with a rifle in your hands, but get tired way faster?

I really think once the stamina system is introduced, these things will get a lot of changes.

Maybe you can run faster with a rifle in your hands, but get tired way faster?

I really think once the stamina system is introduced, these things will get a lot of changes.

Don't you run faster with a knife in your hand or did i just confuse the games??? tbh how would a rifle in your hand make you faster? If anything it should make you slower especially on uneven ground where most of the players move since you lose a lot of balancing help from your arms. And holding a 3-5kg firearm for a long period isn't really good on the muscles that's why they invented the sling.

Edited by Enforcer

Don't you run faster with a knife in your hand or did i just confuse the games??? tbh how would a rifle in your hand make you faster? If anything it should make you slower especially on uneven ground where most of the players move since you lose a lot of balancing help from your arms. And holding a 3-5kg firearm for a long period isn't really good on the muscles that's why they invented the sling.

Should have been more clear.

I meant you run a little faster than you do now with a rifle, not faster than you do without anything.

Yes stamina will help alot.  And the inventory size system boggles my mind I have no clue how you would fit 6 ammo cans in a backpack, and especially be able to walk if they are fully packed...  OOO Or an ammo can in your pants or vest...

And no the weight plus the "dayz running style" makes no sense, but it doesn't make sense anyways.  I think you can travel waay to fast.  Perhaps the heart attacks will help that too though.

Plus it may not be comfortable, but then you also have to consider that you are not focused on comfort, you are focused on survival.  Plus if we look at that what about sleep?

Wow I am getting off topic.  Ok, I'm done.  Two guns I agree with.  Look at snipers who carry a scoped rifle and an m4, I know not all do, largely because you can swap out between a sniper and a spotter.  But I know people that if there were a zombie appocolypse would take a sniper, a carbine/smg, and handgun for patrols and loot trips.  Scoped rifles are not ideal in a building, and carbines are not ideal to watch that building before entry.

Yes stamina will help alot.  And the inventory size system boggles my mind I have no clue how you would fit 6 ammo cans in a backpack, and especially be able to walk if they are fully packed...  OOO Or an ammo can in your pants or vest...

And no the weight plus the "dayz running style" makes no sense, but it doesn't make sense anyways.  I think you can travel waay to fast.  Perhaps the heart attacks will help that too though.

Plus it may not be comfortable, but then you also have to consider that you are not focused on comfort, you are focused on survival.  Plus if we look at that what about sleep?

Wow I am getting off topic.  Ok, I'm done.  Two guns I agree with.  Look at snipers who carry a scoped rifle and an m4, I know not all do, largely because you can swap out between a sniper and a spotter.  But I know people that if there were a zombie appocolypse would take a sniper, a carbine/smg, and handgun for patrols and loot trips.  Scoped rifles are not ideal in a building, and carbines are not ideal to watch that building before entry.

I don't even think that is really the norm unless it is a sniper travelling as part of a group.  Keeping in mind I'm no military expert (so I expect several dozen will likely correct me) but I thought that when snipers worked in pairs one carried the long rifle and one carried something lighter but still with good distance that was probably semi-auto - both likely have knives and pistols as backups, plus whatever else.  Now sometimes when snipers travel as part of a team, then I think your situation may come up - the long rifle is basically their kit, like the medic has the extra supplies, the radio operator has the radio, etc.  I'd say if we're going to institute a two gun system then it must come with the drawback of taking up most of your backpack inventory.  If people want to play that role fine, but they had better realize they need to travel with a team because they will mostly be living hand to mouth.

I also think the same should apply to people who want to medics, crafters, builders, or even just walking supply depots - it should be a role and come with restrictions like - I can only carry either everything a medic would need or everything a builder would need and maybe some other miscellaneous stuff.  The long rifle plus carbine becomes a kit just like that.

My two cents.

Edit - I should say, everything else in your post I agreed with and thought was well put! :)

Edited by - Karma -
  • Like 1

US soldiers usually carry one rifle in a war situation...

this aint war this is zombie apocalypse