Sign in to follow this  
pacific_coast

Reasons why Horses, Dogs, Wolves and Bears are NEEDED

I really think the ideas of "predator" animals that hunt the player like bears and wolves aren't needed and take away from the game

I feel they are an attempt to appease certain types of players

Horses are "cool" but you're gonna feed, care and shelter an animal the entire time you're running from thousands of zombies?

same with a dog. hunting animals for food is fine, this whole husbandry thing is the problem.

this whole system works if you have a base you can safely retreat to, store your horse, cook your food, ect.

but...

most shipwrecked survivors new to a russian-speaking country don't often look for wild horses to wrangle, break-in and start riding.

the average person will NOT pass up prestine clothing left behind in residential areas, because wolf-skin clothing should be crafted instead.

"yeah, i'm starving and running for my life, better grab that stray dog and befriend him"

if you have a base, and you're roleplaying as a hunter-hermit-mountain-man this propsed change to the system is great news.

i've been waiting for zombies that work for 3 years.

that's my priority and what the game is about to me.

is the game about hunting animals on horseback with your dog fending off wolves as you look for more bears to skin?

or is it about zombies?

please help me understand why this is needed, and not just another "feature" meant to attract the wrong type of playerbase.

• Like 2

How does this take away from game if its not forced on you? Nobody is saying "you must tame a horse or zombies will eat your dick"

If you don't agree with this idea, that's fine. Just don't partake once its implemented. Also, just because this is being worked on doesn't mean they aren't working on zombies. The devs can *gasp* work on more than one thing at a time.

Edited by GrappleX
  • Like 6

I really think the ideas of "predator" animals that hunt the player like bears and wolves aren't needed and take away from the game

Horses are "cool" but you're gonna feed, care and shelter an animal the entire time you're running from thousands of zombies?

same with a dog. hunting animals for food is fine, this whole husbandry thing is the problem.

this whole system works if you have a base you can safely retreat to, store your horse, cook your food, ect.

but...

most shipwrecked survivors new to a russian-speaking country don't often look for wild horses to wrangle, break-in and start riding.

the average person will NOT pass up prestine clothing left behind in residential areas, because wolf-skin clothing should be crafted instead.

"yeah, i'm starving and running for my life, better grab that stray dog and befriend him"

if you have a base, and you're roleplaying as a hunter-hermit-mountain-man this propsed change to the system is great news.

is the game about hunting animals on horseback with your dog fending off wolves as you look for more bears to skin?

or is it about zombies?

please help me understand why this is needed, and not just another "feature" meant to attract the wrong type of playerbase.

wrong type of playerbase? wtf are you talking about?

• Like 4

Also, hellcat makes a very valid point. What kind of players are you so opposed to?

the kind that care about riding horses in a zombie game.

any legitimate reasons why this should be in the game?

this is not an mmo. it's not a crafting game. it's not a hunting sim.

if it trieds to be all three of those it's going to fail at what it's supposed to be.

a zombie game.

it's what, 6 or 12 people making this game? you want them to spend time on this crap?

i'd like a beta before the next decade.

again, "you don't have to ride a horse" isn't a reason why it should be a feature of the game that the engine is spending resources on.

And whats the reason for not including it? Can you give anything other than "i dont agree with this"

Horses exist, and people who are experienced may very well try to ride one. Wolves, bears and other animals like such also in fact exist. They would add new elements to lone wolf surviving, new clothing options and new pass times. Horses may actually be the first way to quickly get around the map. Chernaurus seems to be a rather forested country, and all of these animals would likely be found in the wilds. 

Again, please provide some sort of reason other than personal opinion on why these shouldn't be added to the game.

*Edit* What is so bad about people that would want to ride a horse in this situation. They're relatively fast, i would assume they could eat grass in a pinch (feel free to correct me on that) and they can be pretty intimidating. If a horse were charging at my with a rider urging him on, I'd likely ruin my pants then gtfo.

Hell, I think I may have convinced myself to ride one once theyre in.

Edited by GrappleX
  • Like 2

And whats the reason for not including it? Can you give anything other than "i dont agree with this"

Horses exist, and people who are experienced may very well try to ride one. Wolves, bears and other animals like such also in fact exist. They would add new elements to lone wolf surviving, new clothing options and new pass times. Horses may actually be the first way to quickly get around the map. Chernaurus seems to be a rather forested country, and all of these animals would likely be found in the wilds. 

Again, please provide some sort of reason other than personal opinion on why these shouldn't be added to the game.

oh yeah hunting animals, right on!

go for it. i'l hunt deer and squirrels and whatever else.

here is a reason why this should not be in the game:

the server, the engine, the client. they can only shoulder so many things before the game breaks.

if my game crashes, because "horses are buggy this week" or development is delayed because the dogs pathing ai while on a leash isn't working just right...

this game will stray wayyyyy off target

100 people servers on public hive and all 100 players have a horse and a companion pet, running around crafting and hunting wolves.

that sounds like an mmo to me, not dayz.

Like a few of you said, I dont see a reason as to why the animals shouldn't be implimented.  Also, this is about survival and doing so in a vast and crazy world/map.  Everything you listed that shouldn't be in the game are all things that should.. well because this game is trying to be realistic. 

Hmm i would think it makes very decent end game content actually yeah your set up have food weapons a base and now hey i want transport so i could A get a car that needs parts fuel ( something that would be nearly gone and fuel spoils so maybe not a good long term option ) wow a horse doesnt run out of fuel they can survive on just grass ( yeah tamed horses eat all sorts of good stuff but thats to makee coat shinny build extra muscle mass for shows or jumping etc a wild horse lives on what it can eat in the wild..)

Whats wrong with wolves would they stop to exisit because humanity has gone, shit no one of there major predators of them goes down they would be on the rise not decline..

I just hoped you would draw some imagination and think beyond the small minded death match that the mods of the mod became andd looked at the big picture..

I to hope zeds get better i really do i want them a threat but i want more in this world to make it feel like a real survival zed apoc....( yes i know using real and zed apoc is an oxy morron )

Your point is fair. However, I believe Dean said that servers can handle approx. 300 animals at the moment. (feel free to correct me) Even if there are some bugs, I have no doubt they can be ironed out. 

And how would adding animals send a sand box survival game off target? Once again, these animals are real, and they would very likely be found in a chernaurus like area. If anything, these additions would put the game on the right track.

Im pretty much with you OP, but am still waiting before I get too worried about the coming changes.

I think it has to do with their overall focus.. I mean he said barricading houses is a priority and will be in soon. So you have a house you call home now. A horse that from what I heard its too difficult to ride them coding wise so they will be "followers" like your dog. But the horse may have the benefit of a saddle with gear holding ability. And if you just sort of call your horse and wait a moment for it to run up then Im not too worried about that, or it follows you around. I can't say for certain until its all laid out, but i am concerned about all of the content the extras and the lacking things that should imo be core focus, zombies. Revolve around them, and other players and you have something. Encourage me to go live in the woods alone and you have a pretty boring game after 100 hours imo. 

• Like 1

Your point is fair. However, I believe Dean said that servers can handle approx. 300 animals at the moment. (feel free to correct me) Even if there are some bugs, I have no doubt they can be ironed out. 

And how would adding animals send a sand box survival game off target? Once again, these animals are real, and they would very likely be found in a chernaurus like area. If anything, these additions would put the game on the right track.

thank you!

so far i've got two reasons why this overhaul to animals is NEEDED:

you don't have to play with horses and dogs if don't want to

it makes the game more "realistic"

take away 280 of those animals and keep 20 and open up more room for zombies.

end game yes, i can understand. rp clan that rides horses, yes i can understand

i feel this game is on a slippery slope to being "realistic graphics minecraft" instead of dayz

thx and keep em coming

Im pretty much with you OP, but am still waiting before I get too worried about the coming changes.

I think it has to do with their overall focus.. I mean he said barricading houses is a priority and will be in soon. So you have a house you call home now. A horse that from what I heard its too difficult to ride them coding wise so they will be "followers" like your dog. But the horse may have the benefit of a saddle with gear holding ability. And if you just sort of call your horse and wait a moment for it to run up then Im not too worried about that, or it follows you around. I can't say for certain until its all laid out, but i am concerned about all of the content the extras and the lacking things that should imo be core focus, zombies. Revolve around them, and other players and you have something. Encourage me to go live in the woods alone and you have a pretty boring game after 100 hours imo. 

yeah thx irish

end game when you're bored? ok go break in a horse.

all good. all good.

can the game live with only minimal animals for hunting?

YES IT CAN

also the house barricade idea wouldn't work for the horse, you'd have to build or barricade a barn to keep it from getting eaten/shot.

Again, I see what you're saying. Personally, I hope there are never more than 50-ish predators on the map and 10-15 horses. Animals like deer and rabbits would add more to the game imo. On that thought, I dont believe this is an urgent matter. Prey animals first, then this stuff.

As for reasons they should be added: It would provide more incentive to leave the coast. As an endgame, I'd love to be able to go on a bear hunt with nothing but an improvised bow for example. 

Honestly, I think there are more important things that could be worked on. I'd like to see these animals sooner rather than later, but im not holding my breath.

yeah thx irish

end game when you're bored? ok go break in a horse.

all good. all good.

can the game live with only minimal animals for hunting?

YES IT CAN

also the house barricade idea wouldn't work for the horse, you'd have to build or barricade a barn to keep it from getting eaten/shot.

I know where your going they do have limited server resources and as such why waste them on the shows bit players or extras when they could be put to the co stars of it eg zeds...

You indeed could be right i am not argueing against your fears but the facts are it is there game if they want to try it why should we try stop them.. All features are subject to change its going to be a long development either way so if they think they can find the resources the correct AI to achieve these things the game will be better for it, if they cant then one would hope they would drop it..

Lets not forget modding will be a feature when its said and done i am sure many share your beliefs and when given the chance will mod many animals out in favour of more zeds...

You have said to me you love dayz but then if you did why do you have no faith in the man who made dayz??? can i ask what mod did you play epoch day0 bp ???

I know where your going they do have limited server resources and as such why waste them on the shows bit players or extras when they could be put to the co stars of it eg zeds...

You indeed could be right i am not argueing against your fears but the facts are it is there game if they want to try it why should we try stop them.. All features are subject to change its going to be a long development either way so if they think they can find the resources the correct AI to achieve these things the game will be better for it, if they cant then one would hope they would drop it..

Lets not forget modding will be a feature when its said and done i am sure many share your beliefs and when given the chance will mod many animals out in favour of more zeds...

You have said to me you love dayz but then if you did why do you have no faith in the man who made dayz??? can i ask what mod did you play epoch day0 bp ???

i never played epoch.

played A2CO:dayZ mod version through six updater, vanilla.

2017 and origins had merit, but were'nt to my taste.

maps like taviana namalsk and utes were fun.

I don't have much faith in the man who made dayz. none, really.

i have massive faith in the community and the modders who make content

dean hall has BEEN PAID,his money is in the bank.

he makes ideas and announcements and does an interview or livestream everyonce in while.

other people are making this game. he does VIRTUALLY NO CODING.

dayz couldnt have been possible without the code he borrowed from other mods.

eg.

if i sold a novel to a publishing company before it was finished and they adavanced me the royalties from the pre-orders,

i wouldn't care how the novel ended anymore.

srry to sound like a hater damn i just read that over lol

basically im saying i have more faith in the community to stop bad ideas before their implemented
in-game, i don't want this to be "the best zombie/hunting/crafting/roleplaying/sandbox/whatever-game ever" i want this to be "the best zombie game ever"

basically im saying i have more faith in the community to stop bad ideas before their implemented

in-game, i don't want this to be "the best zombie/hunting/crafting/roleplaying/sandbox/whatever-game ever" i want this to be "the best zombie game ever"

Your like countering yourself.... to a point.

The community is building this game. The community DID build this game. It will just take time.

So far, the community is really enjoying the "best zombie/hunting/crafting/roleplaying/sandbox/whatever" direction this game is taking. Well, because that is where the community is pushing it.

If you want "the best zombie game ever", you can look at many, many other title out there that are excellent zombie games.

I am not saying Dayz will never be the best zombie game ever. What I am saying is that the community is making it much more than that.

I see your point he has been paid so why care run wild but you realize he wants to make more games right ??? If he fucks this up big time he wont get the chance to try again he may at best stay on at BIS in the background lol .

Its in his best interest to make the game good so he can make more .. eg if he is in it for the money the thing with greed it has no limits there is always more money so he needs to do good to get another chance..

As for not doing much work himself maybe your right but why does he keep dobbing himself in for fuck ups /bugs in all his streams he openly says i was doing this and that killed that and so and so had to fix it lol...

Dean Hall want a survival game....if you like killing zombies do it...others players want more that killing zombies. (sry for my bad English)

but...

or is it about zombies?

Wrong type of player base? What type of player base would that be exactly? Rocket, from my perception, always wanted to focus on the survival part of DayZ and this is part of that survival part. If you don't want to hunt wolves and tame dogs you don't have to, just like you don't have to help someone or vice versa kill someone. It is a sandbox if you aren't aware of that yet, meaning you decide how you want to play the game.

Edited by weedmasta

@OP

I believe you have the wrong end of the stick.

This is firstly and foremost a survival game, so adding survival elements is only natural and heading in the desired direction.

Zombies were added to spice things up before the mod was released, way back when.

L4D is a zombie game with survivors.

DayZ is a survivors game with zombies.

Dean with it.

• Like 2

the kind that care about riding horses in a zombie game.

any legitimate reasons why this should be in the game?

this is not an mmo. it's not a crafting game. it's not a hunting sim.

if it trieds to be all three of those it's going to fail at what it's supposed to be.

a zombie game.

it's what, 6 or 12 people making this game? you want them to spend time on this crap?

i'd like a beta before the next decade.

again, "you don't have to ride a horse" isn't a reason why it should be a feature of the game that the engine is spending resources on.

This is, in Rocket's own words, an MMO. Hell, go back to steam and check the trailer. Edited by louist

I'm not a naturalist (or a naturist), but in a map the size of Chernarus, it strikes me that there wouldn't be enough room for more than about 2 or 3 bears and maybe 1 (or 2 absolute maximum) packs of wolves, given the territorial ranges of those animals. I like the idea of predator animals to give the players who hide in the woods away from the zombies and other players something else to worry about, but I don't think you'd be constantly fighting them off everywhere you go.

The inclusion of horses and tame dogs is not something I'm particularly excited about - I don't think it's necessary or terribly realistic. But if they do include them, I'd doubt that they'll be very common. I shouldn't think it'll be the case that every man and his dog has a horse, for example. In any case, I don't think it's confirmed that companion animals will definitely make it into the game, and if they do it'll be a long way off after many many other features have changed the balance of the gameplay a great deal from what we have now.

I certainly don't think it's something to be getting overly worried about at this point.

Edited by Pillock

maybe you should go complain about it somewhere.... if only there was some type of place that you can post opinions on certain related subject matter.... some kind of symposium or assembly?

seriously though, you're not the only person that's gonna play this game or has opinions on what should make it into final release, and if devs want to add helmets with giant purple strap-ons attached then dammit we're gonna see them in game (eventually lol). this isnt your vision or work, so just relax and join me in looking forward to shooting people's horses out from under them, then claiming it was because the horse had a broken leg and that they should, in fact, be thanking me.