Mr Jizz

Animals - A discussion / I'm excited for this..

I would love if they implemented animals like how they were in red dead redemption especially the wolves, I loved when you would see some guy out in the barren landscape getting chased by wolves and you could either save him or watch him get killed. Say they were like this in dayz and you see a player (or maybe yourself) getting chased though a field/woods would you help them or watch them get mulled by wolves?

more time spent on animals other than huntable ones = WASTE OF TIME

this is not ULTRA WILDERNESS PRO HUNTING SIM

wait, SHOOT THINGS FROM HORSEBACK, YES, YES, ADD THAT!!!1

AND DOGS!

AND WOLVES!

AND

AND

*BROKEN ZOMBIES NEVER FIXED*

Don't worry. Dean said that he has a special team with hunting games background that are developing solely on the animal and hunting aspect of the game. 

Here's a link from Dean's devlog featuring hunting.

And 'boom' goes the dynamite...

horse-car.img_assist_custom.jpg

"I WANT CARS!!!1111oneoneone" Here you go.

Edited by AntonioAJC
  • Like 1

I would love to have animals like dogs.

I'd handcuff the owner, and make him watch as I beat his doggie to death, then force feed the meet to him.

CAN'T WAIT.

Yup, that's down right fucked...

But I like it.

• Like 1

Yup, that's down right fucked...

But I like it.

Pretty much fucked up.

Edited by AntonioAJC

tumblr_lschk4abX11r11eeh.png

^this guy probably doesn't understand the purpose of KoS, unless you tried stealing his jerky

OMG

JERKY...

When animals go live in game, jerky will be BOMB survival food

Hehe...

It really depends. Jerky, by it's very definition, is very lean meat. With no fat, you would essentially starve to death if you tried to live off of nothing  but jerky. 

Now, PEMMICAN, on the other hand, is one of the only foods you can live off of literally alone. With nothing but pemmican and water, you can survive for years. 

Pemmican is a wonder-food. And relatively easy to make, too.

I just want an orange tabby cat to keep at my camp and I will be good.

more time spent on animals other than huntable ones = WASTE OF TIME

this is not ULTRA WILDERNESS PRO HUNTING SIM

wait, SHOOT THINGS FROM HORSEBACK, YES, YES, ADD THAT!!!1

AND DOGS!

AND WOLVES!

AND

AND

*BROKEN ZOMBIES NEVER FIXED*

When Dean mentioned the horses I honestly laughed and shook my head.  How many months would theyneed to sink in to make a realistic, ridable horse?  Only to have it get blasted out from under you by a douchy KOS guy.

Well, to be honest, I would love to blast horses out from under people and I don't even KOS.  I would do it just because it is so stupid.

• Like 1

Yeah, horses are a pretty stupid idea. Anything a horse can do, a bicycle can do better, with the immediate advantages of 1) no training time 2) no feed requirements 3) you can replace a bike tire infinitely more easily than a broken horse's leg 4) bikes would be everywhere

• Like 2

One thing is for sure, if they don't make runs for cans exteremely dangerous by zombie hordes, or rarer by default, no one is gonna bother chasing down animals, especially with guns that give your position away.

When Dean mentioned the horses I honestly laughed and shook my head.  How many months would theyneed to sink in to make a realistic, ridable horse?  Only to have it get blasted out from under you by a douchy KOS guy.

Well, to be honest, I would love to blast horses out from under people and I don't even KOS.  I would do it just because it is so stupid.

i will straight up murder every horse i see in game on principle.

i will camp horse spawns and snipe if i have to

to prove how pointless and worthless horses are to the game other than cowboy rp sessions

• Like 1

Yeah, horses are a pretty stupid idea. Anything a horse can do, a bicycle can do better, with the immediate advantages of 1) no training time 2) no feed requirements 3) you can replace a bike tire infinitely more easily than a broken horse's leg 4) bikes would be everywhere

yes. also, code for bikes is already there.

engine for vehichles, already there.

let the modders make a horse mod, lay the groundwork for it in the SA engine but don't waste dev time on this would be my 2 cents

• Like 1

to prove how pointless and worthless horses are to the game other than cowboy rp sessions

BrokeBlack Mountain?

• Like 1

Zombie dogs is one thing I never want in this game. Not only are most infections species-specific but zombie dogs terrify me since the Resident Evil games.

I want zombie dogs now. And poisonous snakes.

I liked the whole thing from the mod where you could kill a cow, and if you had a knife you'd have the option of cutting it up and getting meat, then cooking them would make steaks which would replenish a great deal of hunger. So in that aspect hunting would be good cause with the current hunger - thirst ratio, eating food that you've actually hunted and cooked would be a lot more rewarding than finding a can of beans, and eating a steak would replenish hunger for 2-3 hours, whereas a can of beans or spaghetti would perhaps do 30 mins / an hour. Lastly the whole horses and 'companion pets' thing would be decent, aswell as the predators being added in would maybe add abit more of a challenge when running through the wilderness where there are no zombie spawns, thus leading to the whole 'you're never safe' aspect of DayZ that everyone loves.

I liked the whole thing from the mod where you could kill a cow, and if you had a knife you'd have the option of cutting it up and getting meat, then cooking them would make steaks which would replenish a great deal of hunger. So in that aspect hunting would be good cause with the current hunger - thirst ratio, eating food that you've actually hunted and cooked would be a lot more rewarding than finding a can of beans, and eating a steak would replenish hunger for 2-3 hours, whereas a can of beans or spaghetti would perhaps do 30 mins / an hour. Lastly the whole horses and 'companion pets' thing would be decent, aswell as the predators being added in would maybe add abit more of a challenge when running through the wilderness where there are no zombie spawns, thus leading to the whole 'you're never safe' aspect of DayZ that everyone loves.

One thing I didn't like about hunting in the mod was how you required a hunting knife, even if you've got an axe. I have gutted animals with a tomahawk almost as many times I've used a knife (yes, a tomahawk does not have the same blade profile as a splitting axe, yadda yadda)

The point is, if you are hungry enough, you will do what you have to do to eat. Including ripping off animal hide and tearing chunky bits off of the bone.

One thing I didn't like about hunting in the mod was how you required a hunting knife, even if you've got an axe. I have gutted animals with a tomahawk almost as many times I've used a knife (yes, a tomahawk does not have the same blade profile as a splitting axe, yadda yadda)

The point is, if you are hungry enough, you will do what you have to do to eat. Including ripping off animal hide and tearing chunky bits off of the bone.

Yes, that's true also, maybe doing it with a pen knife or axe or even bare hands would provide different yields of meat, or quality or whatever.

There are all types who play this game. I think the "vocal minority" are the folks who want to get mil grade stuff and battle it out on the coast. But the animals/hunting dynamic is a boon to folks who want to sit out in the woods around the campfire and sing "koom By ya". Personally I'm somewhere in the middle. I like the human interaction of multi player but I really loved the base/camp building in dayz:origins. I think we all are hoarders to some extent and having persistent storage allows me to fulfill that desire. The way I see myself utilizing the hunting/crafting/farming: I've got a camp or base out in the middle of nowhere where I can constantly work to upgrade or expand my cabin and perimeter, have a garden that grows some every restart and hunting for food and clothing/crafting. I still desire and need for interaction with others (friendly or not) So I See myself saddling up and heading into the city And towns for better or worse

So pacific. How does one run around in the country side and see absolutely no predatory animals? Did the zeds get them?

It's as much for immersion as it is for game play sakes. I want working zombies too, but guess what! Zombies are not the star of the show as much as you want them to be. DayZ at it's core is a SURVIVAL SIM. It's what it started as, zombies were thrown into the mod to make it interesting. 

It makes SENSE to see wild horses(Although not many) Wolves, coyotes and bears are COMMON sights in a rural area, especially one that borders Russia.

Edited by Daemonkid

I wanted to start a little discussion, hopefully a nice resource for the developers to gauge interest, make suggestions and have some fun.

In LaughingJack's awesome write-up of the recent Q&A's with Dean and Hicks, there were a few mentions of animals in the game.  As with so many of the things discussed, there's a lot of time between today and implementation, but its an exciting thing to add more to the environmental scope of this amazing game. 

In it he mentioned 3 primary types of animals..

• Predators (wolves, bears)
  • Prey (Cattle, deer, rabbits, goats, etc.)
  • Domestic (Dogs, Horses)

Dogs are easy, but utility is clear. Protection from zombies, early warning (of players, predators or infected), perhaps additional gear storage with a fashionable pack, and of course entertainment.  We can throw soon, so fetch could happen.  A command system could also be implemented to use F-key gestures or linked vocal commands, for things like sit, stay, attack, laydown, play dead, etc.

Domestication should be relatively straight-forward.  Something akin to Minecraft, with items that can be used to 'tame' a wild dog and create the attachment to make it yours (perhaps another use for bones?).

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

I am excited to see animals come into this game, I think it will add another layer to the game (which is good), they said there bringing on Devs that have experience in hunting games (oh and they are actually working on zombies too so this addition maybe the best thing for zombies)

While I support having animals play different rolls (prey, predators and domestic as you put them) I think the line should be blurred in at lest some of these cases. for instance Dogs/Wolfs, I think you should find wild Dogs in the woods which would be more predators, you could still "tame" them if they didn't kill you first (maybe some sort of live trap and you have to use some training device on them). also I see no reason why you couldn't tame a wolf in a similar way (again if you didn't get killed first)

also as you should you should be able to kill/ eat your horse (dog, cat, what ever). there should be some risk of disease with eating animals (some more than others and cooking should reduce this)

this would also add in a real survival element IMO, you might have to make the choice between your beloved pet/steed and starving to death....

Edited by Ramzzzeee
  • Like 1

Anyone who thinks horses don't make sense or a bicycle can do anything they do but better... You are a fucking moron.  Horses would realistically be one of the main modes of transportation besides your damn feet in an apocalypse situation.

• Like 1

Dayum Chapelle, why