Sign in to follow this  
ld-airgrafix

Sounds and surroundings

At the moment, sounds mean little in dayz, gates opening means nothing but that will change once game is finished. I'm sure you have all heard flap of bird wings as if something spooked them, what if these birds are actually spooked by another player entering the scene, therefore giving others a warning rather than just rely on visually spotting players. It's not hard to program at all, just a simple scene collider, play the sound once player enters proximity. And doesn't have to stop there, sprinting and running can cause you to accidentally hit a can on the ground, send rocks flying hitting metal objects making noise to warn other players. This game is still run around shoot everything that moves, this especially due to so much bullets spawning, but sounds would greatly improve realism.

Last night I came across a house, doors open, not a big deal I thought. Someone was here hours ago, long gone probably, loot has surely respawned. I walked in and found a can of tuna, 3% left, this immediately made me think, crap he could still be in here. I don't have a mic, so couldn't yell out to him, I just stood behind a cupboard, and listened. Another player was actually inside, ran past me, never knowing I was there. I would like to see more signs like this, maybe muddy foot prints (it rains a lot in Russia apparently :)) and these footprints could disappear within a time limit like 10 min.

Also atm, shelter doesn't have any part in this game except loot spawn. In future hopefully we will have to get out of rain and zombies won't be able to walk through walls, but also we can set up a simple trap made of empty cans and fishing wire. Warning us of another player entering the house.

• Like 2

I was digging in the Youtube checking out some awesome videos of DayZ and Arma 3. Then I saw, this video and maaan I got to say, just these details would create a really more intense feeling and atmosphere to the game.

This is the video. The part where it get my attention begins on 2:35 of the video. Check it out please.

http://youtu.be/JomcPnGYL6A?t=2m35s

Sorry for bringing the topic up [but, I was about to create one to show you guys this.]

i really look forward to  sounds getting improved, they are the worst aspect of the game for me at the moment., i think.

gates, random zombie crys close, when there are definitely none around, and the coke can ring pull sound on its own, when no coke can opened, etc.

op, your tripwire with tin cans suggestion is good i think.

totally agree with this thread! we need sounds to have a bigger impact on gameplay.

just like in reallife, loud sounds that a player has triggered should be giving one's position away. i hate that doors open/close without any noise and that the environment doesnt play interactive sounds.

then again, the worst part indeed are the sound bugs when zombie noises, can opening and ammo emptying play randomly. these NEED to get fixed asap!!

• Like 1

You are talking about footprints and I was searching in the forum if anyone suggest that already.

Sure we would need footprints for players and animals we'll hunt. We need it especially if they do snow... Snow without footprints is definitively useless...

You are talking about footprints and I was searching in the forum if anyone suggest that already.

Sure we would need footprints for players and animals we'll hunt. We need it especially if they do snow... Snow without footprints is definitively useless...

Just the other day, i came across a looted building in a small town away from the coast, all the signs pointed to a fresh spawn running inland to get supplies. I decided to follow upon this, i thought he will follow the road. Next bigger town more signs of eaten cans, i thought best be careful he could be around. Zombies werent aggroed so i knew he wasnt there. Then i got to an intersection and thats were i couldnt follow anymore. But i had so much fun trying to track this player, it would be good to have some sort of evidence besidez the eaten food. Footprints come as an obvious one, anyone know of more things we could use to track or just to know if someone else is in the area.

Just the other day, i came across a looted building in a small town away from the coast, all the signs pointed to a fresh spawn running inland to get supplies. I decided to follow upon this, i thought he will follow the road. Next bigger town more signs of eaten cans, i thought best be careful he could be around. Zombies werent aggroed so i knew he wasnt there. Then i got to an intersection and thats were i couldnt follow anymore. But i had so much fun trying to track this player, it would be good to have some sort of evidence besidez the eaten food. Footprints come as an obvious one, anyone know of more things we could use to track or just to know if someone else is in the area.

Grass gets flattened by prone people.

Blood trails.

Bits of clothing.

Bullet casings.

All would be good.

• Like 1

Great idea!

I think this is a must and is probably on the list of things they want to do once the core game is all done.

Let's hope so, but this thread isn't exactly pages long ha ha, might be just few of us interested.

Another idea I would like to see is smoke out of chimneys, woods etc. a sign someone is nearby cooking something.

If we had more signs and louder sounds, as I mentioned birds taking flight all of a sudden, and you didn't move a muscle, should be a huge giveaway, someone is nearby. Actually this thread might be another solution to reducing kos. I understand true kosers will never change their ways but a lot of kos happens due to players running into each other unknowingly. If we knew there is someone there we might try and make contact. Starving and you only have one bullet or none, you are more likely to try talking to other player who happens to be BBQ a rabbit.