Sign in to follow this  
Von_Carnage

Soda can suppressor

Make it craftable, apocalyptic and maybe steer away from military loot. I go out of my way to find the items so i can craft the improvised backpack.

Recipe: Soda can, duct tape & spray can (for overall gun colour when crafted or just stick with the red can of pipsi on the end of your revolver) 

AZzVTjp.jpg

• Like 3

empty cans and duct tape would make for a nice single shot suppressor considering the amount of soda cans

It's a good idea,homemade suppresors should be ingame,either they are ade of soda bottles or soda cans.

My suggestion would be to have different kinds of homemade suppresors,depending on material quality/type.

A similar system to State of Decay where the suppresors broke down after a number of shots,is also a good idea.

First, there is no way you are going to suppress a revolver like the python or the (i think) taurus in the pic due to the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. The only revolver that i know can do that is the Nagant revolver which has had some support from the community but devs like ctorchia haven't mentioned it.

Secondly, "Silencers" as you call them (No such thing as a silencer, a suppressor yes, because "silencer" is a misinformed term for suppressor) aren't that simple. Let me give you a cut away view of one.

pb3.jpg

This is probably the most basic suppressor you can get, as pictured on a Makarov (chambered in 9x18 makarov) designed for one. Notice the baffles in it, whist a soda can may work for low powered cartridges (think 22LR, calibers sub-9mm and no rifle cartridge with respectable power)  it won't work very well.

Sure your idea has merit but a silenced revolver just won't work, you really need to get into 2lt soda bottle sized territory for anything else (.45 acp and a 2lt would last about 8 rounds before it would be all but ruined for silencing) and even then you shouldn't bother with rifle cartridges as the actual suppression is next to nothing (can/bottle blows up on first round).

It's a good idea, but in reality, with the weapons in at this time (not including the future 10/22) you might get one shot somewhat suppressed out of an FNX and that's about it with these methods. I would like to suggest the crafting of "Home made" suppressors with PVC/metal tubing, scouring pads, duct tape and washers which is possible IRL, is much more effective than the method you suggested and will work on cartridges up to but not limited to .223/5.56 but has use limited to 100s of rounds compared to the 10,000's of rds that commercial offerings provide. If my version was implemented then repacking with scouring pads and duct tape should bring the silencer condition up.

All this based on current weapons in game, understanding how big the gas pressure is coming out of rifle barrels and personal knowledge of firearms.

TL:DR No, because physics and pressure but other methods should be possible. Also read the damn post.

Edited by Dchil

We already have suppressors readily available. We just have to wait for the devs to make them work. On the other hand, a potato would have better suppression than a can.

If you are going to craft a suppressor, it should be from an oil filter. Though even that isn't exactly easy without ignoring some things. But we ignore those things when attaching a compensator to a Mosin, so meh.