randalmcdaniels

Why the dayz formula will ultimately fail

EDIT: I mean the formula of the game itself will fail, not fail in terms of sales/business sucess. Dayz will always be a colt classic and a trend within itself

When i would play dayz standalone i noticed that there were only a handful of spawn locations alongside the coast.. WelI I noticed something very odd.. At the few spawns further away from cherno or elektro, i would constantly find dead bodies of new players in the same exact spots. Then i realized why.. They are all simply  looking for the nearest place to suicide so they can get a better spawn closer to one of the three hotspots. The places i usually find the suicided players are right at the bottom of areas high enough to jump off and die from. Most players simply do not wish to run for hours on end just to get to one of the  good loot areas.. and i can't blame them.. I wouldn't want to to do that either.

So in a nutshell, there are only two locations that people travel to and only one location that is a primary weapon spawn location.. Which sucks.

When people first purchase dayz they spend hours looting regular town homes and sheds and quickly discover that those houses and townhomes are a huge waste of time.. So now instead of scavenging and survival, we are stuck with a game where players first priority is to find the nearest location to kill themselves to get a better spawn location. When thats the case, something isn't working.

The WORST possible thing to do in a survival game is arrange loot in pre-set locations..  Thats not survival.. Thats a footrace. Survival should be all about scavenging, chance and luck.. There is WAY too little of that in dayz.. Sure you can stumble across a shotgun in a home if you look long enough, but its impractical to think that players will actually do that when they know that they can just find ten m4's under bunkbeds or in tents at balota military camp.. Sure i know there will be comments of people saying "but i play like a realll survivor and i search every house and bunkbedddd mehh" YES thats good for you and all, but lets get real here.. The average dayz player is well aware that those townhouses and sheds are not worth their time. And thats sad. There should be hope of loot in even the most unlikely places just like in real life.

Fun in a survival game should be about PERSISTENCE, SCAVENGING, and LUCK. It's more fun to find loot unexpectedly in an unlikely location than to simply just race all 30 other players to balota..The players who should come out on top are the ones with the most persistence and dedication to search the world of chernarus.

Oh yeah and ironically, in a real life apocalypse, city areas like cherno and elektro, and a military camp like balato would be looted first.. So realistically it would actually be the complete opposite.. Those three areas should have NO loot and the only real loot would reside in townhouses/ small villages deep in the mountainside. But in dayz logic does not exist.. If it were up to me i would put rifles and handguns and magnums in townhouses deep in the mountainside and have guns hangign above the fireplaces in many homes.

So to make a long story short.. whats the point of all this circled area even being in the game?

fff23_zps225fed95.jpg

if you travel a mile into the "uncharted land" the devs don't even bother putting loot in those houses or buildings.. So its like whats the point?

Edited by randalmcdaniels
  • Like 15

The formula is hardly refined. You can't possibly predict the future of a formula that isn't finished yet.

The last few weeks have seen multiple patches that have each changed the game in significant ways. Scale that sort of progress and pivoting over the span of the next two years, and I hope you'll agree that it becomes silly to start criticizing in absolutes.

• Like 8

I believe I cam run from any spawn to a major city or an airfield with primary weapon spawns within 10 minutes... You can run from berezino to nwaf in a maximum of 15 minutes if you don't get lost in the woods

• Like 1

The current state of the game in no way resbles the develops vision. Ever heard of the term, "alpha"? Besides , when it eventually does become more 'realistic' and actually difficult to traverse and survive Chernarus, it'll weed out the denomination of players that are in it for the death match.

I could argue the game can never fail.  I would argue it already has succeeded before release.  It has been on the top of the steam sales list for a number of days.

I completely agree they need to fix what all evidence so far shows is a bug... loot not spawning in various/some buildings.

As for the rest of the map, perfectly viable... I would argue that most players truely stuck in elektro will not last and really isn't the player this game seems to be catering to.

LOL, OP you clearly play and only go to balota, I have found so many guns, ammo, etc etc and yes even PLAYERS up North. Just sounds like you need to quit just going to those areas and play the damn game.

EDIT: The best part about this game is the developer actually loves his game, go buy Rust and look at how much "Garry" loves his game, he clearly doesnt, he just loves the money, Rocket on the other hand is gonna make this game go places.

Edited by Blissful
  • Like 8

I don't know why anyone would "suicide" themselves in hopes of getting a better spawn point. It takes only 20 mins tops to get somewhere with some decent loot. You'd spend more time respawning and killing yourself over and over hoping for something better.

• Like 4

I hate to give this response but it really applies here - this is alpha.

Loot tables and spawns will definitely be addressed as the game evolves so I am confident that the whole "suicide for a better spawn" will decrease. Its just players exploiting the feature and nothing will ever fully stop them from doing that, at best we can hope it will be mitigated to an extent.

I rarely go to the 'hotspots' and I'm kitted up to fuck.  The interior of the map has plently...

kDaWskN.png

Edited by Martmital
  • Like 8

I agree with you that loot and spawns should be balanced far better and I'm sure they will be, but I must take issue with you stating that the DayZ formula will ultimately fail.

Fail in what way? Commercially? Mod played buy thousands, alpha bought by well over a million.

Critically? Opinions are like assholes...

As a survival game? Yeah it could do, but I think that has less to do with the spawns and more to do with the game being too easy.

• Like 1

I always head inland  right away. I manage to find plenty of loot as well provided nobody has been there before I have arrived. I found three different guns in Dubrovka, NW of Berizino along with loads of food last evening. No empty buildings there.

So in a nutshell, there are only two locations that people travel to and only one location that is a primary weapon spawn location.. Which sucks.

if you travel a mile into the "uncharted land" the devs don't even bother putting loot in those houses or buildings.. So its like whats the point?

1. What the actual fuck are you talking about - there are primary weapons everywhere.

2. They haven't fully developed the map yet.

• Like 1

you forgot to put #sarcasm at the bottom of you post.

I once mentioned a location in the north, and immediately was told to keep my dirty hands off the booty in them by several players, I'm sorry you haven't found anything in the building's inland. But as long as you hug the coast there will be more booty for the ever increasing number of players who find that inland is a rich and bountiful area filled with gun's, ammo and beans.

I'm gonna take a punt and guess your new here because there has been several conversations talking about the booty and zombie respawn system which is coming very soon also as already mentioned the loot respawn system afaik will balance booty so if a whole server loots out electro then the booty will respawn somewhere else (different town/city) this will force players to explore as looting the same locations will reduce the amount that spawn's there.

This game isn't as broken as you feel it is, and that is based on your experience, so I'd conclude you have only left the coast a couple of times, next time plan a route to the NWAF that takes you through several towns and you'll find yourself retracting your post.  Be warned to be seen near any military outpost is to invite death, particularly if there is a rifle over your shoulder.

tread carefully and travel far.

Edited by Window Licker
  • Like 1

While your ideas have promise, your post must be in alpha stage. So i will read the rest some day when you've finished developing it.

• Like 16

While your ideas have promise, your post must be in alpha stage. So i will read the rest some day when you've finished developing it.

The second time today I've laughed to tears. Beans for you.

you forgot to put #sarcasm at the bottom of you post.

I once mentioned a location in the north, and immediately was told to keep my dirty hands off the booty in them by several players, I'm sorry you haven't found anything in the building's inland. But as long as you hug the coast there will be more booty for the ever increasing number of players who find that inland is a rich and bountiful area filled with gun's, ammo and beans.

I'm gonna take a punt and guess your new here because there has been several conversations talking about the booty and zombie respawn system which is coming very soon also as already mentioned the loot respawn system afaik will balance booty so if a whole server loots out electro then the booty will respawn somewhere else (different town/city) this will force players to explore as looting the same locations will reduce the amount that spawn's there.

This game isn't as broken as you feel it is, and that is based on your experience, so I'd conclude you have only left the coast a couple of times, next time plan a route to the NWAF that takes you through several towns and you'll find yourself retracting your post. Be warned to be seen near any military outpost is to invite death, particularly if there is a rifle over your shoulder.

tread carefully and travel far.

/snicker

...... he said "booty" like 5 times.

/chuckle

:D

In reality, those who splatter themselves by jumping from high places to get to "good" spawns like Cherno, Elektro or Balota are punished by that inevitable bambi hunting rooftop sniper who will obligingly spread the noob's brains across the people chasing him/her with a fire axe, attempting to steal their pants and do goodness knows what else.

Those with experience know just to drink and get a few basic food items before heading inland.

The DayZ forum has gone to shit... Why do people make posts like this? How about the title be "How DayZs loot tables could be improved". Not "This game sucks and it will fail". People are stupid...

• Like 5

These threads inevitably pop up in every succesful game I've ever played. "Why wow will ultimately fail" "why BF42-4 will ultimately fail" "why COD will ultimetaly fail" yadda yadda yadda... it's all B.S. It's already been a commercial success in an ALPHA state, therefore it already isn't a failure. 

• Like 1

I think it's very bold to predict failure at this point. 

I mean, if the initial criteria for success was 250,000 copies sold in the first quarter, then 1,45 million sales in the first two and a half months has secured self-sustaining funding for at least a year and a half. We've got a long way to go, beta is still very far away and lots are still subject to change and tweaking.

I would argue "what's the point of staying in the not circled area?" This is bambi logic.

Not to mention, this formula has created one of the most successful games on steam...and it's been going strong for a couple years now. All from a mod of a five year old military simulator.

[EDIT: Also, I dig your profile pic. Nilsson is the shit!]

Edited by Rhodes

Alot of kids are now getting their parents to buy this game for them due to popular YouTube videos. They dont understand what they are playing.

• Like 2