Dunxel

Ingame Bandwidth what is it?

When you hit P to see who is on the server you can also see other data.

Latency, Bandwidth & Desync.

We obviously know what latency is & that dreaded Desync.

But what exactly is Bandwidth & what is it telling us?

I've see most people normally run 150-500 bandwidth.

Many times i find my self running 400-800.

I've been on several servers where i see Clan/Tagged Players running 2k-11k.

Could this have something to do with your location? (High density Cities with Zombies & Players?)  Thus you are using more bandwidth?

I've noticed when i play with friends we could be next to each other with the same latency yet i always have 100-500 more bandwidth than they do.  Some of them defeantly have a better/faster ISP.  Similar or even better PCs.

Thanks,

I'd assume (but I don't know for sure) that it represents how much data in kb that you're sending/receiving. 

I've see most people normally run 150-500 bandwidth.

Many times i find my self running 400-800.

Could this have something to do with your location? (High density Cities with Zombies & Players?)  Thus you are using more bandwidth?

This is how I understand it. As you get within 1km or so of another player his network 'bubble' joins yours and your clients share information. The more players the more bandwidth required. I am not sure on the specifics but have been told this is the gist.

the more shit you have the more bandwidth you use I think is the long and the short of it, anyone with more than 1000 are big game hunters fully equipped people with less than 200 are bean eaters..

the more shit you have the more bandwidth you use I think is the long and the short of it, anyone with more than 1000 are big game hunters fully equipped people with less than 200 are bean eaters..

I was curious as to see what was chewing the bandwidth! 

It seems you are spot on the money sir. 

I may do more research on this as well.  I also wonder if your location can play a roll on this.  Perhaps people in Cherno\Chapaevsk\Dubky\Novoselky (being densely populated city) could play a major roll.

Perhaps knowing a Clan/tagged players are running in the 2k+ range may be an indicator they are in that area?

Its an idea.. I may test it out and see what my bandwidth with a team of people do when we enter populated areas.

I have noticed even with TONS of gear on myself & a friend.. When we are out in the middle of nowhere our bandwidth doesn't break 400.

It appears to be measured in kbps (adding together both directions I'll assume). For example when my bandwidth is 2500, I see around 2.5% utilization of my 100mbps LAN, or 2.5mbps. It seems to suck on as much teat as you'll allow it, I've seen the bandwidth number hit 4000, which, while not tested, would be 4mbps if my theory holds. I've never seen it tax the full 30mbps u/50mbps d that is the whole of my connection, so apparently it does have at least SOME limits, but yeah, it wastes band like no other game I've ever played. I would assume the netcode has not been optimized in the slightest.

Edit: desync appears to be measured in ms, but only up to 10000 or something.

Edited by Black Dynamite

sometimes i get 900 brandwith and 100000 desync, is that normal?