Sign in to follow this  
todd10k

Dayz "ladders"

time character has survived * kills * times shot and survived * amount of time spent in large cities = score

Can use GUID to bind your character to your forum account for display in your signature.

Would add a new layer of competitiveness to the game while also giving value to life. You'd be more likely to surrender in a combat situation if you knew you had a good score and you didn't want to catch a bullet to the head. You'd also be more likely to not engage in combat unless absolutely nessicary. 

Discuss.

Edited by DNolan

At first I thought about ladders.

Ladders kill people. I want no ladders in the forums.

• Like 6

time character has survived * kills * times shot and survived * amount of time spent in large cities = score

time character has survived * kills * times shot and survived * amount of time spent in large cities * amount of time spent in Electro firestation = score

Fixed.

• Like 2

No thanks. Scores in video games are completely useless and does not contribute to anything other than e-peening and "my way of playing is better than yours" and to be honest, no game benefits from it and

DayZ already has this in overabundance although it did die down a little bit with the seperation of regular and hc.

• Like 4

No thanks. Scores in video games are completely useless and does not contribute to anything other than e-peening and "my way of playing is better than yours" and to be honest, no game benefits from it and

DayZ already has this in overabundance although it did die down a little bit with the seperation of regular and hc.

I disagree whole heartedly. Currently when someone holds you up and takes your gear, your life is meaningless. You may as well be a fresh spawn on the beach. You can wax dramatic about RP elements and the like, but the fact is your life and the life of the fresh spawn are at that moment inseparable. Infact the fresh spawn might be in a better position than you, as you'll most likely soon be shot because your cheeky ass couldn't keep your mouth shut to your agressors because "you have nothing to lose". 

The game benefits because it gives the player something to live for other than "hurr durr moar killz"

If you think high scores are about epeen, then you can simply ignore this mechanic. Problem solved.

Edited by DNolan

I disagree whole heartedly. Currently when someone holds you up and takes your gear, your life is meaningless. You may as well be a fresh spawn on the beach. You can wax dramatic about RP elements and the like, but the fact is your life and the life of the fresh spawn are at that moment inseparable. Infact the fresh spawn might be in a better position than you, as you'll most likely soon be shot because your cheeky ass couldn't keep your mouth shut to your agressors because "you have nothing to lose". 

The game benefits because it gives the player something to live for other than "hurr durr moar killz"

If you think high scores are about epeen, then you can simply ignore this mechanic. Problem solved.

And what about his other point?

Your score system is "my game style is better then yours" and promotes pvp and being in cities.

Why someone who like to just survive in a forest have lower score?

Your gamestyle better then mine?

I think score should come only from time survived per life, nothing else.

• Like 2

Are we making this into Mario? Do we need to now spend enough time in Electro to "Level Up".

This is meant to be a survival game. Just camping out in towns in order to gain points sounds a daft idea, imo.

Now in terms of ladders, I am in no way against a skill tree of some form within the game, although I have yet to see a sensible implementation plan to make it work even if makes sense that nobody should be able to fly a helicopter of perform certain medical tasks from the first minute they join the game. In no way should a skill tree affect the ability to aim a weapon though a la CoD.

It changes the in-game dynamic. All some people would be looking at, or caring about, is their score. Whether it's relative to other players or just for their own pleasure, it changes the focus of the game. There are mega-ga-ba-jillions of games that have that system. This one doesn't. Why can't we just leave it at that?

Not for me, thanks.

• Like 1

Your score system is "my game style is better then yours" and promotes pvp and being in cities.

The only thing that decides whos play style is better is whom takes the bullet in the skull first. 

The formula for the score is rough, and only a first draft. While i can understand you seeing that it only promotes city based PVP, i look

at it from a different angle. It promotes surviving longer in dangerous situations. cities, scoring kills, even entering the larger cities, are all dangerous activities, and should be rewarded thus.

Spending 100 days in the forest would not prevent you from having a decent score, but why should you have a higher score than someone who has spent an equal amount of time dodging players, taking bullets to the knee, racking up bandit kills and generally surviving in a harsher environment? 

You can't make this about playstyle discrimination. The simple fact of the matter is that one playstyle is more dangerous.

Edited by DNolan

Are we making this into Mario? Do we need to now spend enough time in Electro to "Level Up".

This is meant to be a survival game. Just camping out in towns in order to gain points sounds a daft idea, imo.

Now in terms of ladders, I am in no way against a skill tree of some form within the game

Stopped reading, right there.

The idea is to add value to life. The scoring system is there to add "competitiveness". The competitiveness is what adds the value to the life. Why do i have to keep explaining this. This is a simple concept to grasp. you are less likely to mouth off to your captors or engage in combat if you have something to lose that you cant get back through a single elektro run through.

It changes the in-game dynamic. All some people would be looking at, or caring about, is their score. Whether it's relative to other players or just for their own pleasure, it changes the focus of the game. There are mega-ga-ba-jillions of games that have that system. This one doesn't. Why can't we just leave it at that?

Not for me, thanks.

Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion, but could you please now propose your own system that addresses the flaws in the system we currently have?

The idea is to add value to life. The scoring system is there to add "competitiveness". The competitiveness is what adds the value to the life. Why do i have to keep explaining this. This is a simple concept to grasp. you are less likely to mouth off to your captors or engage in combat if you have something to lose that you cant get back through a single elektro run through.

Look don't get all uppity because people don't agree with you. I understood your idea fine, I just think it's rubbish. 

Sorry. No. Simple reason is you just want stats about kills and shots and related situations that make mandatory to go into fire fight towns.

One can go and "win" the game without a single shot fired and without spending any time in a big city.

Big flaw. You cannot quantify liberty of action and even less qualify it through a ladder.

Edited by Hethwill_Khan
  • Like 2

You need to get off the gear addiction. Life is more than just your gear.

+1 for great justice!

I do not think a total scoring system like that would be beneficial to what DayZ stands out for: It's total and unrestrained freedom of playstyle, with the baseline objective being survival above all else.

• Like 1

Wow, bad idea is bad and that is my opinion on the matter.  Look, there has been enough threads about people complaining about KoS so now you come up with this stupid idea that promotes, KoS!!  Bravo, bravo..... <_<

Look don't get all uppity because people don't agree with you. I understood your idea fine, I just think it's rubbish. 

Your "proposal" would have a long and lasting effect on the very nature of the game. My proposal would have zero net effect on gameplay. The idea here is to change the mindset of the KOS player. and that is where the real battleground lies. Fact of the matter is, you people would have this turn into another time grind ala WoW. This proposal would be anything but. The same kinds of people who go around shooting people on sight are the same people who care about shit like this. this would change the nature of combat without so much as adding a new button. 

You need to get off the gear addiction. Life is more than just your gear.

Tell that to the people feeding you disinfectant after they handcuff you. 

Edit - This entire threads point is to get people off the gear addict mentality. The whole point is to get them thinking about other players as something other than moving gear restock points. 

Edited by DNolan

You'd be more likely to surrender in a combat situation if you knew you had a good score and you didn't want to catch a bullet to the head.

Absolutely fucking not, totally utter bullshit.

i just would see statistic. survived time, zombies killed, shots fired, distance i walked through cheranus. would be very intressting. :) the rest like score is bullshit..

Edited by MrNobody82
  • Like 2

Wow, bad idea is bad and that is my opinion on the matter.  Look, there has been enough threads about people complaining about KoS so now you come up with this stupid idea that promotes, KoS!!  Bravo, bravo..... <_<

I completely disagree. If anything it gives you pause before you pull the trigger. guaranteed if this system was implemented, you would see a dramatic fall in KoS.

Absolutely fucking not, totally utter bullshit.

So you're telling me with something to lose beyond the gear, you're not going to be more likely to surrender, rather than "going down guns blazing"?

Add value to life huh? What if you don't have a great score? I see this as just another excuse people would use to suicide. Anything that adds value, with also devalue your life when you're lacking in it. Just like how you talked about how little you care about anything when you lose your gear, if you somehow get a low score you will act the same.

Score, gear, etc. should not motivate or discourage you living your (virtual) life. Bribing players to value their lives is not the way to go.