Sign in to follow this  
joe_mcentire

different ground textures may act as "containers" for basic materials

firstly:

this shall just be an idea of a possible concept, not realistically a suggestion for DayZ per se

secondly:

the idea itself

based on the texture(s) we already have on the ground of our actual location different sounds for our shoes. the idea would now be to have a certain (predefined) chance to gather typical materials or objects from the available textures which are as we know e.g. sand, soil, mud, grass, (paved) roads, forest floor, etc.

Each ground with its related texture would act as some form of "container" to loot from. loot may be just simple things like cones, smaller stones, dirt, moss, shells, ...

By using the action menu and a "quickly search for..." or "browse around" option you could initiate e.g. a squating animation along with proper arm movements.

so? what would this mean? if we think a bit further and dream a little bit and imagine that there would be then several new features and mechanics ingame at some point one could think of possible examples such as:

• emergency situation: you quickly grab a stone and throw it to distract the enemy
  • enemy enters the doorway and no way out - you grab a shard of glass from the floor
  • you collect 10 handfuls of soil to carry it over to your base to grow veggies
  • you collect grass, moss and cones to create your selfmade makeshift camo outfit.
you hopefully get the idea.

so what is your opinion and much more what do you think, is this even achievable anyhow? in a reasonable amount of time? even worth the trouble? what would this mean to additional server-load and FPS?

• Like 7

The idea itself sound cool but I would prefer to just find rocks and glass shards randomly on the ground rather than to search for. the soil and grass parts are great ideas.

The idea itself sound cool but I would prefer to just find rocks and glass shards randomly on the ground rather than to search for. the soil and grass parts are great ideas.

the problem with this woud be extreme server load. every object ingame would add to that and may decrease server FPS eventually (i guess). that's why the devs are going to implement actual containers anyway. to have a possibility to bring in even more loot although objects aren't actually "there" as opposed to the current system,

additionally: the idea is to quickly grab materials from literally everywhere. and we certainly can't handle 100 stone items per m².

Handful of sand = fighting chance for a fresh spawn (disorient a zombie temporarily, or blind a player that doesn't have some sort of eye protection ((moto helmet, glasses, gas mask)))

Yeah, whilst I agree that it would be a kinda cool idea, I think it'll be too much of a load on the server. My community tried similar things with the mod(almost all variations too) and found that there is only so much a server can take before either loading times when entering the server itself would screw up, or other scripts would inadvertently break as a consequence of the load placed on it. Whilst some of them could be fixed through hours and hours of de-bugging, some of the more crucially needed scripts would be irreparable. 

The most common issue was the loot tables and loot respawn timings would screw right up.

the problem with this woud be extreme server load. every object ingame would add to that and may decrease server FPS eventually (i guess). that's why the devs are going to implement actual containers anyway. to have a possibility to bring in even more loot although objects aren't actually "there" as opposed to the current system,

additionally: the idea is to quickly grab materials from literally everywhere. and we certainly can't handle 100 stone items per m².

but thats not necessary. you dont create the objects in advance.

player initiates gathering action -> check if player location warrants ressources, and which. success check. spawn ressource into player inventory.

its like drinking. you dont track every sip of water individually, you check if player is in a position where he can drink, and then you have each drinking action trigger an event, increasing hydration value.

• Like 1

but thats not necessary. you dont create the objects in advance.

player initiates gathering action -> check if player location warrants ressources, and which. success check. spawn ressource into player inventory.

its like drinking. you dont track every sip of water individually, you check if player is in a position where he can drink, and then you have each drinking action trigger an event, increasing hydration value.

basically this. that's what i roughly thought of. i think it would make sense for certain materials as for example stones, grass or soil. you could get them always and frm evreywhere basically. By creating new textures you could always introduce new resources, for example some broken glass patterns or bug patterns on forest-floors...

i'm just wondering what such an implementation what realistically mean to servers and engine

Edited by joe_mcentire

i just realized with help from reddit that with the  berry-picking mechanic we essentially already have such a system ingame. so this would be the first answer to some of my questions. mechanic-wise there seems to be no problem.

Edited by joe_mcentire

i would like to inform you that this feature's apparently going to be a thing ingame:ZhmXYap.jpg

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1

Handful of sand = fighting chance for a fresh spawn (disorient a zombie temporarily, or blind a player that doesn't have some sort of eye protection ((moto helmet, glasses, gas mask)))

POCKET SAND!

1385751371884.gif

I want.

• Like 1