Sign in to follow this  
yarex

Water from rain

Everybody should be able to gather water from rain that falls - best would be to be able to reuse misc. cans or craft some custom gathering device from clothes, cans and similar.

• Like 3

Nice idea, but with all those ponds and "rivers" not really a necessity.

Water from the rain is much cleaner than water from static reservoirs. 

You would skip using purification tablets on water gathered that way.

I`m in!  :beans:

Edited by neobit

I like the idea of eating a can of food and then using the can to collect water.

If you move around with an open can of water, it would gradually empty (the % lost depends on moving speed and how long you move for). This can then be emptied into a canteen or bottle if you have one handy.

It would also solve that annoying little niggle (for me anyway) where you appear to eat the can when you've finished the food content inside  :D

The way I see it, some containers could become extremely useful water gatherers. We always see those static steel buckets in world, why not pick one up and stash it away to use for collecting large amounts of water. For example:

• Empty Soda Can's and Empty Tin Cans recover 15-25% water, enough to fill a 1/4 of a water bottle or canteen
  • An empty water bottle cut with a hacksaw or knife recovers 30-50% water enough to fill a water bottle to 75% or a canteen to 50%, however it renders the plastic bottle of water useless for storing liquids (only worth it if you have two or three bottles)
  • An empty steel bucket which can be placed on a ground, wait a little bit will recover anywhere from 75-100% water, enough to fill two bottles of water to 100% or 1 and half canteens.

As soon as we can set up camps with tents, campfire etc. it would be cool if we could place an "advanced" rain collector.

Wooden barrel

- which can be upgraded with a thrash bag to minimize loss of water

Metal/ Wooden bucket

Maybe a hole in the ground made with a shovel + thrash bag?

Rainwater collection rates should be seriously slow, but still a viable approach given time.

i really like the idea, the cooking pots could be used aswell....

but to make this a reasonable source for clean water they really have to change the other sources... ponds should always need the water purification tablets or at least a high risk of infection, pumps in larger towns should have more risk than in smaller ones. fountains should have a high risk as well because those dont use drinking water in general.

well count me in for this great idea!

This is one of those features that I always think, "The devs have to be implementing this!". It makes a lot of sense.

As soon as we can set up camps with tents, campfire etc. it would be cool if we could place an "advanced" rain collector.

Wooden barrel

- which can be upgraded with a thrash bag to minimize loss of water

Metal/ Wooden bucket

Maybe a hole in the ground made with a shovel + thrash bag?

I think as far as "advanced" water containers go, things like a plastic barrel would be better and somewhat easier to transport if someone was doing a more permanent base. Alternatively, there exists something called a Millbank Bag which acts as a water filter and can easily be used to collect rainwater for people who prefer to stay mobile.

Rainwater collection rates should be seriously slow, but still a viable approach given time.

It would also depend on how MUCH rain, whether it would be a light shower to a thunderous storm. There should also be a chance for the container being "knocked over" due to the harsh weather. An empty tin can or empty water bottle will be easily blown around by a strong wind while other items can be secured with rocks to weight them down and significantly reduce the chance.

I'd like to see something craftable like this:

IMG_1001.jpg

It should be quite hard to build, so that it takes a few people to build:

- 8 Sticks

- 4 Ropes

- 1 Stone (weight for the tarp)

- 1 tarp

- 1 conatiner (container size should be variable)

With that rain collector, water collecting should be quite fast. Downside should be that the water can be poisoned if somebody finds the collector.

Rainbarrels should be in chernarus:

regentonne-pixelio-alipictu.jpg

At least where I live they are quite common. They should function as a water source but the water should be undrinkable sometimes (too old, posoned, etc.)

Edited by degude
  • Like 1

I agree - maybe they should also reduce the number of wells (semi-random) and make other water sources (including rain and barrels) a little higher risk by introducing more kinds of sickness.

Also the ability to poison barrels would be interesting - might require some work to get the poison though.

I have collected water in my canteen when it is raining. Fills right up. I have not tried the water bottle though.

I have collected water in my canteen when it is raining. Fills right up. I have not tried the water bottle though.

Works too, but that's not my point. In my opinion, this feature is way to overpowered right now, so they will probably change it as more water sources will find their way into the game, but let's not talk about balancing.

They will add polluted water to the game at some point, which will make the search for water more difficult, so more ways to collect or find water seem a good addition to the game for me.

Works too, but that's not my point. In my opinion, this feature is way to overpowered right now, so they will probably change it as more water sources will find their way into the game, but let's not talk about balancing.

They will add polluted water to the game at some point, which will make the search for water more difficult, so more ways to collect or find water seem a good addition to the game for me.

If by overpowered you mean it fills up fast then yes, I agree. Probably too fast but it should work reasonably quick for the sake of the flow of the game. Or if anything it only gives you 10 percent at a time and takes up to 10 seconds to get that much water. I would be okay with that. When polluted water is a factor you could easily collect in a canteen use pur tabs or even boil the water if you have a stove.