Sign in to follow this  
Malibuz0r

Dynamic item coloring

Instead of having limited colors on items, why not have the items get a fresh new color dynamically each time they are spawned?

What we have now:

Colors of the Mountain Backpack: Blue, Green, Orange, Red

With dynamic coloring, the backpacks should get a unique color.

Eg: http://www.thonky.com/random-hex-color/

Also, this is not only limited to backpacks, but pretty much every item that's limited to certain colors.

That would most likely require a major upgrade to the coding.

Any different colours at the moment would be down to the textures created for the items.

For different areas of items to dynamically change would be a massive undertaking that can't be done with normal textures. If it was to be implemented at any point, it most likely wouldn't happen until way, way down the line.

It would be cool though  :D

That would most likely require a major upgrade to the coding.

Any different colours at the moment would be down to the textures created for the items.

For different areas of items to dynamically change would be a massive undertaking that can't be done with normal textures. If it was to be implemented at any point, it most likely wouldn't happen until way, way down the line.

It would be cool though  :D

Yeah it does sound like a lot to do, but if you think about it, in the long run they could save themselves some time by cutting down the time they take to re-texture each item and then add it to the game.

But yeah, as of now I don't think this will be high priority.

Its realy not that hard... All kind of games use this. For example Warcraft 3 for teamcolour or you can see it in Minecraft with the grass and leaves. Even my brother can code it and he is a hobbyist.

Its realy not that hard... All kind of games use this. For example Warcraft 3 for teamcolour or you can see it in Minecraft with the grass and leaves. Even my brother can code it and he is a hobbyist.

Hello there

Why not do an example in arma2 then? If its as easy as you claim, im sure the devs would be interested.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 1

As a former 3D modeler and environment artist, if you don't want it to look trashy, what you are asking is not as simple as you're claiming. I don't care what your brother says.

Also, items in the real world don't come in technicolor. They come in various shades, but not every single one of them.

• Like 1

As orlok and carcinovich pointed out ... it is not as easy as you say it is. Some engines make it easier to do and some models if set up correctly can support it ... but it isn't just that easy.

I know ... I am the lead developer for an Independent Game Studio that has offices in the U.S. and S.A.

Granted I haven't got much experience with ARMA2 and ARMA3 ... but most engines work using the same principles.

• Like 1

Hello there

Why not do an example in arma2 then? If its as easy as you claim, im sure the devs would be interested.

Rdgs

LoK

Because I have no idea about Arma2 stuff? I just pointed out that its nothing the world hasnt seen yet and its totaly possible.

Because I have no idea about Arma2 stuff? I just pointed out that its nothing the world hasnt seen yet and its totaly possible.

Hello there

This is my point. Its easy for us to yell "do all the things" to the devs as we can see an issue, that to our eyes, is easy, but in reality and the confines of the engine may not be as simple as we imagine.

I dont think its half as easy as you imagine but it is a good idea.

Anything "procedural" that can up the item count is brilliant imho. I just think that the devs may have already thought of it.

The only thing I disagree with is its perceived simplicity.

Rgds

LoK

Instead of making another topic, I just will add here.

This should also apply to spraycans. Cans could be filled with a dynamic random color when it spawns and that way you can set the color of w/e you decide to apply it to. The only issue I see here is if you plan to mix paint colors to create camouflage patterns. I guess there are other ways to implement that though.