Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Goner

How I Fixed FPS

OK, here's how I finally fixed my fps issue.

1. You have to get rid of any pre patch gear. I decided to just remove everything from my current character and leave it under a tree. You DO NOT want to give this gear away. It will cause problems. 

2. You have to convince folks that you play in close proximity of to do the same thing. Their pre patch gear will screw up your afternoon. They are not going to want to do this but we tested it and it works, so you could always shoot them and hide their body for the greater good.

3. Follow this guide and make as many of the changes as you are comfortable making. I was unable to set the -winxp option because when I set it I couldn't adjust video settings without the game crashing. I also upped the player.DayZprofile changes a bit. I like to see trees in the distance  :)

Here's the guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216291078#-1

I like this guide because it offers general solutions to fps issues but also addresses concerns about the latest patch towards the end.

Good luck everybody! Let me know how it works for you.

EDIT: Also thanks to everyone who posted information on this subject. Nothing I'm stating here is new and several others discovered this fix before me.

EDIT 2: Worth noting after doing this I'm getting 60 frames on average and up to 100 at times. So the devs have greatly improved performance there's just something weird going on with the old gear. I know it stinks to lose gear but it's SO fun gearing up. The hardest part is it was impossible for me to test each individual item. I feel like some items are probably good but to be safe, dump it all.

Edited by Dr. Goner
  • Like 5

This mosin was my pappy's gun and his pappy's before him....I cant let this heirloom go.

• Like 5

why i should waste my all gear? EVERYTHING on my char is pre patch gear! so it make no sense. they have to fix it i can wait.

Edited by MrNobody82

You can take my FPS but YOU'LL NEVER HAVE MY ORANGE RAINCOAT!

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 3

why i should waste my all gear? EVERYTHING on my char is pre patch gear! so it make no sense. they have to fix it i can wait.

Are you serious?

Lol!

• Like 4

yep my char is now 9 day alive from 10 since i played. only some cans are new the rest is pre-patch so it´s not a solution for me.

1. You have to get rid of any pre patch gear. I decided to just remove everything from my current character and leave it under a tree. You DO NOT want to give this gear away. It will cause problems. 

2. You have to convince folks that you play in close proximity of to do the same thing. Their pre patch gear will screw up your afternoon. They are not going to want to do this but we tested it and it works, so you could always shoot them and hide their body for the greater good.

Sorry, I mean no offence, but to me that looks really retarded. A really bad troll try that makes no sense.

Today I randomly started having serious FPS problems. My average FPS is 60-100 FPS on high settings but today it just broke.

All I had to do is insert these lines in the launcher.

-nosplash -skipIntro -world=empty -maxMem=2047 -maxVRAM=2047 -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=4

I use a 7870 + 3570 + 8GB setup. Back to 60-140 FPS.

I don't see how pre-patch gear could possibly affect performance.

You can take my FPS but YOU'LL NEVER HAVE MY ORANGE RAINCOAT!

Seriously, it looks so good with the backpack of ORANGE.

yep my char is now 9 day alive from 10 since i played. only some cans are new the rest is pre-patch so it´s not a solution for me.

The inevitable character wipe next patch will work, though:D

• Like 2

lol yeah then it´s time to make a brake should they make a wipe :D or try totaly difference game stile :P

-nosplash -skipIntro -world=empty -maxMem=2047 -maxVRAM=2047 -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=4

This is actually recommended in the guide link I posted. And if you're not having problems, it seems like you have nothing to worry about. Just keep doing what you're doing. 

But this did work for me and several others have reported the same thing under other names (flickering gear etc.) 

Rocket himself said he was going to look into it on a reddit thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1xbygt/fps_drop_is_caused_by_pre_115106_gear/

His comment is about half way down and he usually doesn't respond to "really bad trolls".

Lulz my FPS was perfect with my pre-patch toon. He even lived into post-patch. No problems at all and he was fully geared.

Died last night with all of my buddys. We started fresh on the beach and we all now have 1-10 FPS with a peek of 15-20 every 15-30mins. Only rocking post gear crap. No one has shot or looted anyone else..

Sounds like you fixed your problem just by going into the config and not the gear. Just my 2cents along with the majority of people...

Edit: Double lulz. I just did a test and adding the basic "-nosplash -skipIntro -world=empty -maxMem=2047 -maxVRAM=2047 -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=4" vs my custom one for my rig has fixed it. Me and all my boys used to rock custom Set-Launch options.

Last Edit: It causes some terrible graphic issues at the main screen but once in game it's back to 50-100fps.

You should edit your post in parts. So say start with the Set-Launch. Then the Configs, etc..

Thank you for the help! It seems to work again!

Edited by RyBo

Lulz my FPS was perfect with my pre-patch toon. He even lived into post-patch. No problems at all and he was fully geared.

Died last night with all of my buddys. We started fresh on the beach and we all now have 1-10 FPS with a peek of 15-20 every 15-30mins. Only rocking post gear crap. No one has shot or looted anyone else..

Sounds like you fixed your problem just by going into the config and not the gear. Just my 2cents along with the majority of people...

I tested this on two separate characters. Hardcore and regular servers. I think the FPS guide definitely helped but I have yet to have a massive frame drop or a crash since ditching that old gear. Keep in mind when playing with my pre patch gear I was generally "fine" it wasn't until grouping up with several others that the problems started and mass crashing ensued.

EDIT: Also should note that after making these changes I did experience massive drops while playing near a friend with pre patch gear. When he logged off my frames spiked immediately and stabilized.

Edited by Dr. Goner

ALL my gear is post patch and i am having serious issues, dropping to 10 fps.

Last time i did drop the flickering items and it worked but now i have no flickering items and the issue is still there so im not sure if this is going to help anyone much, cant hurt to try though.

ALL my gear is post patch and i am having serious issues, dropping to 10 fps.

Last time i did drop the flickering items and it worked but now i have no flickering items and the issue is still there so im not sure if this is going to help anyone much, cant hurt to try though.

^this

It seems to be not just pre-patched gear, it's certain items no matter when you acquired them.

This actually does work.

Do people really care that much about their gear? Its not like it is very hard to get gear, and its not like there is really much to do right now after you get geared up. If you are waiting for the next patch, there will probably be a character wipe when it is released because of what happened with this last patch. If you are waiting for a hotfix for this, there probably wont be because the quickest and easiest hotfix would just be a character wipe. The Dev team knows this and they haven't done it, so I dont know what people are waiting for.

Edit: Also try staying away from any painted gear.

Edited by ChekovP
  • Like 1

OK, here's how I finally fixed my fps issue.

3. Follow this guide and make as many of the changes as you are comfortable making. I was unable to set the -winxp option because when I set it I couldn't adjust video settings without the game crashing. I also upped the player.DayZprofile changes a bit. I like to see trees in the distance  :)

Here's the guide: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216291078#-1

I like this guide because it offers general solutions to fps issues but also addresses concerns about the latest patch towards the end.

Good luck everybody! Let me know how it works for you.

EDIT: Also thanks to everyone who posted information on this subject. Nothing I'm stating here is new and several others discovered this fix before me.

EDIT 2: Worth noting after doing this I'm getting 60 frames on average and up to 100 at times. So the devs have greatly improved performance there's just something weird going on with the old gear. I know it stinks to lose gear but it's SO fun gearing up. The hardest part is it was impossible for me to test each individual item. I feel like some items are probably good but to be safe, dump it all.

You can still pick up bugged gear... several hard hats and cowboy hats I've picked up have caused the issue, as well.

I can confirm this bug. I was in a server for over 1h with no fps drops what so ever. Then my friend who has a 10 days old character with M4, press vest and shit joins me and then about 2-3 minutes later my fps dropped to 10-15 and getting ridiculous freezes. I told him about it and we tried it further. restarted our game, I went to another server and played for about 20 minutes and I had no fps drops, I then told him to join. and BOOM 2 minutes later i'm back to getting fps drops and freezes. I think old loot from patches are causing the frame drops. Rocket also have said that current things like scopes are bugged cause they are flickering

You can still pick up bugged gear... several hard hats and cowboy hats I've picked up have caused the issue, as well.

This.

I can confirm this bug. I was in a server for over 1h with no fps drops what so ever. Then my friend who has a 10 days old character with M4, press vest and shit joins me and then about 2-3 minutes later my fps dropped to 10-15 and getting ridiculous freezes. I told him about it and we tried it further. restarted our game, I went to another server and played for about 20 minutes and I had no fps drops, I then told him to join. and BOOM 2 minutes later i'm back to getting fps drops and freezes. I think old loot from patches are causing the frame drops. Rocket also have said that current things like scopes are bugged cause they are flickering

Your gear from pre-patch is fine, just look for items in your inventory with flickering icons. Get rid of them.

This.

Your gear from pre-patch is fine, just look for items in your inventory with flickering icons. Get rid of them.

I'm not the one with bugged items my friend is and his items are not flickering