Sign in to follow this  
Player_01

Optimize this Please

I'm okay with everything that's in the game at this point, I'm fine with only a few guns and running marathons to get from city to city. However please, I think we can all agree we need and optimization boost. Getting 15-25 FPS in cities on medium rigs is something I want to see gone.

Can we agree that optimizing and polishing what we already have should be in one of the next few stable updates?

(Focus mostly on red text above when commenting.)

Boom, (there is an article somewhere that goes into more detail but I lost the link)

Link is gone? But they found a huge bug for GPU apparently.

Edited by Player_01

I bet it's so easy for you to sit around and be like "optimize and polish".

No my friend,that's not how stuff work.When i make a new chair,first i make sure that i have all the right parts and glue them together.

You can't have a polished chair with just 1 leg,be patient.The carpenters (dev team) unlike us reagular folks know their chairs(game).

Edited by Damnyourdeadman
  • Like 1

No.

You get the features in the code, you fix the bugs and THEN you optimise performance.

Optimising the game now would be like one of those Pimp My Ride episodes where they bolt $25,000 of shiny crap onto a re-sprayed chassis, but don't even pressure wash the shagged-out 250,000 mile engine and thrashed transmission.

I bet it's so easy for you to sit around and be like "optimize and polish".

No my friend,that's not how stuff work.When i make a new chair,first i make sure that i have all the right parts and glue them together.

You can't have a polished chair with just 1 leg,be patient.The carpenters (dev team) unlike us reagular folks know their chairs.

I know, I said, after the next updates (after they finish the update that they already started) they add this the the line. I know it's not easy, but I think making what we already have Better instead of adding in more things to the game that could potentially lag the game more, or cause more bugs would be a nice direction to take. Have one of these come out every 5, 10, or even 50 updates, I don't care, just making polishing and optimizing everything might be a good change of pace.

It's like downloading a ton of data to and HDD storage (hard drive if you will) and not optimizing the disk, The end result isn't good,

No.

You get the features in the code, you fix the bugs and THEN you optimise performance.

Optimising the game now would be like one of those Pimp My Ride episodes where they bolt $25,000 of shiny crap onto a re-sprayed chassis, but don't even pressure wash the shagged-out 250,000 mile engine and thrashed transmission.

Make the game run better, smoother, higher frames or able to run the game on the higher settings that they have available for us without going down to 5 FPS in cities. 

Is that better wording?

@OP: What do you consider a "medium rig" to be?

intel i5 quad core around 2.5-3.0 GHZ or AMD quad core 3.5 GHz

nvidia GTX 650-680 or the AMD equivalent 

8GB RAM 1600MHz

HDD (SSD is too expensive for medium rig)

and a decent motherboard to go with it all.

That's around a medium rig to me.

Edited by Player_01

I agree.

You should be able to get a playable frame rate on Medium settings in cities with a rig like that.

I agree.

You should be able to get a playable frame rate on Medium settings in cities with a rig like that.

You should but unfortunately I don't. (Specs below)

When I get into a city like Electro or Cherno, even on the outskirts of them, I drop to about 20 frames. This isn't on medium to high settings, this is the lowest of the low. 1080p, shadows are one but very low and so is everything else except for character model detail (so I can distinguish people from terrain).

AMD FX-8320 8-core 3.5GHZ

Nvidia GTX 660

8GB 1600MHz RAM

GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 Motherboard

2TB HDD

and finally a power supply that is plenty for everything (even enough for another Graphics Card)

I still don't understand how you get that poor performance from a desktop.

I'm playing on a laptop and I get 45 FPS everywhere.

Laptop master race! :D

I don´t get all these posts, that sound like:
"fix this.."
"add that.."
"optimize x/y.."

i am not gonna scream "ALPHER" here
but:
WHY..?
come on guys, use the Bugtracker to report
and use searchfuntion to vote allready tracked bugs, up or down

follow the posts of developers
and watch the scedule

poor mod´s
nearly 8000 topics in general alone

Edited by dawud

Optimisation will be a gradual process, but the bulk will be done maybe a year down the line when there aren't so many new features being added.

I'm okay with everything that's in the game at this point, I'm fine with only a few guns and running marathons to get from city to city. However please, I think we can all agree we need and optimization boost. Getting 15-25 FPS in cities on medium rigs is something I want to see gone.

Can we agree that optimizing and polishing what we already have should be in one of the next few stable updates?

No, we can't agree on that. An Alpha isn't the place for optimizing, it's where you put stuff in, break the game, fix it so you can put more stuff in etc. Beta is for optimizing and polishing. 

Wait, 15-20 FPS? You get that!? you get 25 FPS in a city.. Holy cow. I get like 15 on a good day anywhere, and I have a medium rig. 

Im happy if I get 20 stable. This game is easily playable with 25FPS. Dont complain man if your getting 25FPS, just be happy you arent getting below 15 like me.

Although a nice performance boost would be nice. I have to play on all settings minimum.

I'd wait until the cake is done to start decorating.

I know, I said, after the next updates (after they finish the update that they already started) they add this the the line. I know it's not easy, but I think making what we already have Better instead of adding in more things to the game that could potentially lag the game more, or cause more bugs would be a nice direction to take. Have one of these come out every 5, 10, or even 50 updates, I don't care, just making polishing and optimizing everything might be a good change of pace.

It's like downloading a ton of data to and HDD storage (hard drive if you will) and not optimizing the disk, The end result isn't good,

You still don't get it.

It takes time to optimize. If they optimize it before adding and changing things, it will introduce new problems that could potentially cause FPS drops and other performance issues.

In other words, they'd have to do all the optimization all over again and this game would take 10 years to launch.

You should but unfortunately I don't. (Specs below)

When I get into a city like Electro or Cherno, even on the outskirts of them, I drop to about 20 frames. This isn't on medium to high settings, this is the lowest of the low. 1080p, shadows are one but very low and so is everything else except for character model detail (so I can distinguish people from terrain).

AMD FX-8320 8-core 3.5GHZ

Nvidia GTX 660

8GB 1600MHz RAM

GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD3 Motherboard

2TB HDD

and finally a power supply that is plenty for everything (even enough for another Graphics Card)

Allow me to reiterate a proven fact for the 20th time.

The ARMA 2.5 engine is optimized for Intel/Nvidia products. AMD, while it can work, is not directly supported by the engine.

And you need to realize, Dean can't just change a few variables and the game is automatically optimized to run Ultra @ 80 fps. Optimizing takes time, lots of time. Coding has to be cleaned up, excess info cut out. Rewriting of scripts, code, etc...

Edited by Shadow134

Yeah we could have them spend all that time polishing and optimizing the game in its present state. And then they add that one new feature that breaks everything again because of an unforseen interconnection with something (or more likely, somethings) else.

They are, at the moment in the 'Alpha' phase of development. That means they are going to be adding in the core framework on which they intend to hang the rest of the game. This is currently introducing bugs and glitches at around the same rate that they are being found and patched over. This was forseen an warned about in big letters before you were able to purchase it.

For me, I can't wait to see the bugs they introduce when they start adding in the major component to the game: vehicles, persistant stroage (tents), base building. This game is going to topple over for each and every one of these things, and like many others here, we'll be there to help push it back upright and set it back in  the direction that it needs to be going in.

TL;DR: If you are wanting to play a polished, optimised and finished DayZ, I'd suggest you come back in a year or so. Before then is just potential and heartache aplenty!

I don't see why everyone screams optimize optimize all the time alpha is for adding things beta will be for optimizing things and as far as release id assume adding and fixing as some things are added. The only time you should be working on bugs in an alpha is if its absolutely game breaking not because it makes it kinda hard to play if you can "play" the "game" i use those words loosely because its and alpha test not some AAA hype fest beta thing. if its not 100% unplayable you should be fine this is meant to be a test nothing more.The notion that it is gonna work flawlessly in an alpha state is just bad and shouldn't be seen that way at all. They know exactly what they are doing Like one other said you shouldn't make the chair look pretty till you have added all the legs.

Edited by Kruger287