Sign in to follow this  
Odahviing

66+ patches incoming until final release? (1.0.)

Now we have version number 0.34.xxxxxx

I'm guessing that every new patch increases the version number by 0.01 (sometimes we got a patch within the bigger version number eg: 0.30.115676 to 0.30.116780)

so if this patching continues like that we get like 66+ patches in the next 1-2 years (or whenever final version releases)

holy moly....

Edited by Odahviing

I always thought that they make patch number random.

Edited by Frosti

I always thought that they make patch number random.

'course not! its hard to predict how many patch prior to release but certainly in the double digits!

I have no idea how they come up with their build numbers internally, but we've had three patches in two weeks and this makes me extremely happy.

Probs more than that to fix in what they break, But i think the revision number is more for dev reference, so they can know for sure what update caused what issue. There will be a lot of revisions internally before we see the one that gets put out. Thats why we dont see just the final didget go up.....all the numbers inbetween are the revisions tried in closed testing :)

Game development typically lasts multiple years. Sure they have been on it for a few years already but I wouldn't be surprised if the alpha/beta go on for a long time. I don't really care since it's already available and I am enjoying the hell out of it, especially with the fast updates keeping it fresh.

No.

If tomorrow they decided the game was ready for release, they would skip to 1.0.

Conversely, if it takes more than 66 builds to reach 1.0, they can always go 0.99, 0.100, 0.101, etc. It's not a decimal number, it has 2 dots in it.

No.

If tomorrow they decided the game was ready for release, they would skip to 1.0.

Conversely, if it takes more than 66 builds to reach 1.0, they can always go 0.99, 0.100, 0.101, etc. It's not a decimal number, it has 2 dots in it.

you must be a rocket scientist

The numbers are to identify and document the process, not to indicate the amount of future patches.