Wayze

Do we want a reward for surviving?

Do we want a reward for surviving?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a reward for surviving?

• Yes
    • No

In DayZ there is no reward for surviving a very long time. Once you have gear, there is really nothing to do but to interact with other players (for the most people it means killing others).

Would you like a reward for staying alive? Do you want DayZ to be about survival?

What kind of reward is not discussed here, I just want to find out how people generally think about this.

For further information to the topic:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/170523-why-dayz-is-no-survival-game/

In DayZ there is no reward for surviving a very long time. Once you have gear, there is really nothing to do but to interact with other players (for the most people it means killing others).

Surviving is the reward for surviving. The rest you make up as you see fit as you go along. Interaction with other players and the enviroment is all there is.

• Like 20

The reward is not having to find all the loot again :)
I can see atm its quite boring to stay alive, but in a year i think it will be most important you stay alive as long as possible.

Dont need any other rewards, thank you.

• Like 3

If its beards or other cosmetic features, then yes.

If it improves your character in any way, then no.

• Like 12

I can agree with beards or scars, but as already said, survival is good enough.

I think the individual player must discover their own purpose in the game, whether it's for good or bad or just plain one day at the time.

the reward for surviving is not dying. i mean, really....

once cars and item storage are implemented, there will be more drive to survive, as you can store gear to make your next life easier. 

• Like 1

I always liked the idea of an indirect 'reward' for surviving, like certain passive abilities being slightly (and I mean slightly) improved until your death. Rocket himself has suggested that such systems might be implemented in the future and I look forward to it, so long as they are balanced.

The usual example is cardio. Currently the speed at which you walk, jog, run, or sprint has no effect on your energy or hydration but eventually they probably will, it would be nice if being alive a long time and covering a lot of distance very slightly decreased this or allowed you to run a few metres farther. It wouldn't be enough to give you a real advantage over other players, but would be something you might miss if you had to respawn.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 1

You already get to improve your character in a small way - you make him/her "healthy". I'd just like to see them run with this idea and give the "health" a bit more depth - make you keep fit, warm and strong in order to perform better in whatever you choose to do with the rest of the game.

There needs to be some kind of progression, otherwise there is literally nothing to aim at or work towards - and without some sort of goal ahead of you, I think player numbers will fall off a cliff not very long after the game is finished.

This isn't an mmo or whatever. No skills. Just no

I'm sorry to tell you Rocket has already indicated his enthusiasm for such systems in videos prior to the release of Standalone, if I remember right he was talking about players getting better at things like administering medical aid and repairing items/vehicles at the time when those things are developed more.

You already get to improve your character in a small way - you make him/her "healthy". I'd just like to see them run with this idea and give the "health" a bit more depth - make you keep fit, warm and strong in order to perform better in whatever you choose to do with the rest of the game.

There needs to be some kind of progression, otherwise there is literally nothing to aim at or work towards - and without some sort of goal ahead of you, I think player numbers will fall off a cliff not very long after the game is finished.

Wrong, the mod thrived for 2 years and continues to thrive with no progression aspects added. 

There is no need for it in DayZ, none at all. 

The biggest mistake they could make in the SA is moving towards progression aspects.

Edited by ASDF991

Only viable thing is beards and only if you can cut people's off if you handcuff them.

No, I don't think there should be a reward system for this particular survival game. It's a survival game for a reason! I can understand if people don't like to lose all their cherished loot (especially endgame gear) but allow me to remind you, this game is in alpha stage. Once we start getting cars and faster transportation & more storage, I don't think we'll have too much of an issue with this. 

I just don't like the idea of having a reward system for a game like this. I would definitely support the idea of an achievement however. Especially for those who have survived for a very long time without getting killed. Now that would be a noteworthy achievement to feast your eyes into.

Lol yeah link to your thread that you keep reviving every several days after it has been buried -.- smh

Anyway, the answer is no, there should be no "here is a shiny nickel for surviving" whatsoever. The only thing I'd say would be an exception is the ability to grow facial hair as a dude. that's a gnarly idea