Sign in to follow this  
CJFlint

Custom Avatar Faces and A Apocalyptic Feel

I really love the post apocalyptic genre, and would love to see more of that style in game.

Currently the default avatars female or male are clean cut looking males or females with hair in a neat bun. They also have a neat clean looking jeans, tea shirt and shoes. Still has a military Arma 2 feel to it. It works great for a military sim but not so much for this. I want my avatar to look like ass starting off. I think our avatars should have a more desperate, really un-kept look. I would like to modify my look too. Beards, scares, mohawks, dreadlocks and even war paint. While Idol I think the avatars should look paranoid quickly looking around, maybe even have idol animations change with health, hunger or thirst.

Now I now DayZ takes place right after a zombie apoc but there needs to be more signs of that. I want to see it of a more dark drab and creepy. I want to see some random creepy stuff while going point a to b. To me currently it still reminds me to much of Arma 2. Sort of like that movie "The Road" which takes right after an apoc. 

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

I've had those ideas too, with the facial changes and animation changes with hunger, thirst, etc, but I never made a post for it, so beans for you. And with your more "apocolyptic" feel I agree. Also fuck the Road was sad.

• Like 1

I've had those ideas too, with the facial changes and animation changes with hunger, thirst, etc, but I never made a post for it, so beans for you. And with your more "apocolyptic" feel I agree. Also fuck the Road was sad.

Its was a sad movie indeed, there's probably no better example of what it be like after a massive apocalyptic event though. Lets face it, it really would be a hellish sad world. The way the father looked in that movie really set the tone. Or maybe a mad max feel, more entertaining, less depressing. Fallout really did a good job on capturing a world like that, look and feel. I do believe both mad max and fallout are set a several years after an massive apocalyptic event, and show more how people adapted to it, where as DayZ is right after. Anyhow with the Arma Engine and really well designed post 3d rendered apocolyptic world, holy crap that would be cool. The only thing that should be ARMA like about DayZ is the engine it uses.

The_Road_1_L.jpg

Edited by CJFlint

Or maybe a mad max feel. 

Mad Max=way too insane. Then again, we have people running around in there underpants with an axe killing everyone they see soooooo..

Mad Max=way too insane. Then again, we have people running around in there underpants with an axe killing everyone they see soooooo..

*Calmly lays down news paper*

*Carefully dawns a rain coat*

*Holds bloody dripping axe*

LET'S SEE YOU GET RESERVATIONS FOR DORSIAS NOW!

We'll probably get hair styles and faces at least. At some point. Maybe.

Concerning it still looks like Arma 2 and character customization, I have one word: Alpha. They will definitly develop their own look and feel, but they have to start somewhere right? For the alpha, of course character customization is limited, but I'm certain future patches and updates will add more to your starting character choices. Concerning wear and tear of your character (giving him that mean survivor look), I think that should progress over time, after your character washing ashore. The more hours you survive, the tougher you look. You can also find a machete now, so perhaps you can perform a hardcore machete shaving session? Bandits could humiliate you by cuffing you and shearing your glorious beard? There are many, many things suggested here, but indeed character custimization should be big, it also makes you want to survive when you have that awesome look on ya.

I know the game is in Alpha stages and the priority is to get the gameplay/server right, not cute aesthetic features. But, as a 3d artist I would love to have the chance to get custom faces in the game per avatar (mine and my friend's faces). But then again, I've also worked on game code and databases, and the amount of bandwidth that custom faces would require would just kill the servers. We don't lose anything by daydreaming though =).