BenziBoy

Spears

Introduce Spears?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to be able to build/make spears

In the game we already have sticks and diffrent sorts of knives, so why not spears?

Its unlikly that you would be able to find any in general houses, shops or military camps so i think you would need to make them.

-Stick & Knife

-Stick, Knife & Rope

-Stick, Knife & Duct tape

These are the combinations that could be used to make spears

Suggestions welcome :)

• Like 2

sounds like a great idea, but I don't think it will really fit the game

Edited by basinox

it would be neat to use them as parts of traps. I am not sure how it would be implemented as a melee weapon. Would they be thrown? would you stick something with them and lose the spear by impaling them? or could you repeatedly "stab" them with it?

I would think just stabbing for now, the main advantage over other weapons is the range, so being able to stab others before they can get you with there axe, however possibly a couple hits needed before killing the other player with the spear.

Yes using them in traps would also be awesome but i think that along with throwing will have to wait to be added later on :)

• Like 2

improvised backpack.

why not improvised weapons?

Would be good, yes.

Practical tool for fishing also imo....

Just dont call them Britney

:P

I like this idea,

Could help with hunting or just to kill zombies quietly 

I like this idea a lot.  In theory a Fresh Spawn could gather the materials to make a crude spear at the first house with a garage they come to.  I don't think they should very powerful, representing the ease which with one could be crafted.  The main benefit would be the added range making it safer to engage zombies with.

It is the same reason I want makeshift stabbing weapons, or a shiv as it is sometimes referred too.  Use a pair of pliers or a wrench (perhaps pipe wrench would be better, but then why not just take pipe wrench?) on a screwdriver and viola.  Or, depending exactly what a "shard" is (it seems to be an upcoming crafting material), add that with duct tape for same effect.  Something that can be commonly made, but is not as good as even a kitchen knife.

Mind you all of this is a moot point as long as simply punching remains as effective as it is in its current state.

Go get lost in the woods for a week with only a knife then let me know if you fashioned yourself some kind of spear

it would be neat to use them as parts of traps. I am not sure how it would be implemented as a melee weapon. Would they be thrown? would you stick something with them and lose the spear by impaling them? or could you repeatedly "stab" them with it?

A throwing system is being created , one much better than the one from arma , so I'd expect if spears were in when the throwing mehanics are finished , for the spears to be a formidable throwing weapon . Imagine seeing a group of Bambi's running around , you realize they are armed with spears but think you can handle it with the sks on auto ... You approach to realize there are more spear weilding Bambi's hidden in the apartment building next to you . As you make this realizAtion , three spears enter your body .

They would totally impale the target and in my opinion should be able to be taken out of the body , with a 50% chance of breaking while doing so . You could also stab / thrust with the spear .

Sorry double post iPhones suk

Edited by Grapefruit kush

sounds like a great idea, but I don't think it will really fit the game

Of course they will!!! it's the fucking world's end, I'd kill a zombie with flowers if they were a weapon!

• Like 2

Spear was one of the first man-made weapons. I don't see why we can't create some sharp pointy sticks, or have a mechanic to harden sharpened sticks to be more durable. Then again you have options to affix blades, screwdrivers, and other pointy things to the end of a stick and use that for a spear as well.

It's something I think should be added.

Go get lost in the woods for a week with only a knife then let me know if you fashioned yourself some kind of spear

Yes, done it before. 

Knife and a stick. Find a sturdy and relatively thick stick. Choose desired length of branch. Start fashioning a point. Bam, after some work you got a spear. 

stick + knife = sharpened stick (crude spear)

stick + knife + rope = stick with a knife attached to it (improvised spear)

Could be interesting early game.

• Like 1