Rawniebrownie

Dog Tags good or bad idea ?

I like the idea of dog tags..but not as a default item.

Give the player character the ability to equip necklaces.

There are those workshop type buildings with 2 rows of 4 machines in them, perhaps they could have a press in them that allows you to create a dogtag that could be worn.

The dogtag is automatically generated to give known information, ie characters name, blood type (if it's been tested since you've respawned) and maybe some other information (I can't think of anything else useful).

it could then be taken one step further where you have to find the materials to create togtags -piece of metal for the tag itself, image stensil (have different ones) to allow the addition of a image on the tag, maybe an alphabet stencil to allow words to created on the tag.

This could then also allow another type of loot in game - jewellery, necklaces and such.

• Like 1

I fully support KOS, or rather those that choose to do it (I don't always, but like to be able to).

But this, I think, would encourage it even further than is necessary. Stat tracking of any kind that tracks K/D  should stay  the HELL out of DayZ, IMO.

KoS is fine, but its nice to know that other forms of interaction can be looked forward to. IMO, a K/D ratio would only make more players treat this game like it is a standard shooter, and nothing more, rather than a game with shooter elements.

I really like this idea. I see what others are saying about immersion and the like but some kind of player identity while not super realistic should be included. I think it encourages the story element. I killed 100 zombies before meeting my end... . I am legend or I killed a legend. I ridded the world of a bandit. I think these are good story elements I think it also adds a human element and not just a gamey element. It makes our generic lives some distinction. 

For immersion lets say there are only 40 survivors in all of the region. You would probably be able to start recognizing who they were and you would know their stories to a point after some time. And if you never met the person you would know they were expert survivors ...  I know my logic isn't perfect but I think it's a gamey element that makes the game play more interesting and story driven. At the end of the day I know its a game and I can give up some immersion for some game. Finally, this doesn't make the game another death match game because these are (in my mind) story elements not purely statistical elements. 

I think the information should be available to you on death and any one looting your body. I don't think it should be collectable though my first thought was for the ears because I think there should be  a way to hunt down a player that killed you in a past life.

I would really like them to add Dogtags to the game.
Apon starting your new game you will be given a pair of Dogtags. One with your name on, One with a logo (That you can customize) Apon killing someone you could take there dogtags. That you could combine with other tags to make a big chain of your kills.Your own personal trophie collection! Item takes up one slot per set of tags but when 2 sets of tags are combined makes a 2 slot items however adding further more tags will not increase the size e.g having 14 sets of tags would still take up 2 slots. I think this would also make it easier to find out who your victim was.
If we could get this enough attention this could become a real item in dayz! :D
Please leave your Feedback!

No, it simply would not work for this game. It is an apocalypse survival game, the civilains surviving would not have dogtags. As a findable item maybe, with the ability to engrave. I think that would be fine. But not one you spawn with.

• Like 1

It's something that takes up an item slot without having any use to me. I'd just throw it out.

but .. but....battlefield 4 had dogtags    ......  <_<

CSGO has guns in funky liveries. No need for DayZ to have them.

Search Results

Your search for the term dog tags returned 64 results

Merged.

Why not a wallet?

Wallet sounds perfect. What's wrong with carrying ID in your wallet and your wallet in your pocket? People do that other than me right?

This however will be a problem for people not wearing pants.

You could be forced to wear a necklace with a dogtag for every player you killed.

So you'd instantly know to GTFO if you come across a player who looks like Mister T :D

I kind of like that idea, actually.

Whats up with all the Battlefield comments? -this game would be ridiculously easy/boring without the PVP element. 

Anyway, collectable Dogtags are a bad idea. They would promote killing for the sake of killing (camping the beach for easy kills etc). That would be a very bad direction for DayZ to go in.

My idea (which got moved to this thread, and I have deleted and replaced with this 'reply') is this:

When searching a body it will display "Hours survived" and "Number of kills". Personally I would want my killer to see this info. I want him to know what he has achieved (if that makes sense?). It also adds a layer of narrative that is currently missing.

Aesthetically this info could look cool on a Dogtag (again, making them collectable is a very bad idea).

Yeah, I suppose so.  Although people seem to do so now any way

Would be nice to know how long someone survived. I wouldn't mind some highly elaborate stats as well. Number of steps, number of fires started, number of shots fired ... You know, just fun stats. Doesn't matter to me if it's unrealistic, not going to affect gameplay, not going to invade privacy.

No - there is no reason information just appears out of thin air. Maybe they could add cameras for taking photos and glue. This way you could basically create your own ID card by using a sheet of paper, a pen and a photo you made.

You should also be able to combine multiple pieces of paper to a stack making it possible to carry them around (and access them) without wasting inventory space.

medical alert bracelet giving you a random condition to go with dog tags + photo i.d .. official documents ..ear necklace...next will be tattooes that can be removed from corpse 

No - there is no reason information just appears out of thin air. Maybe they could add cameras for taking photos and glue. This way you could basically create your own ID card by using a sheet of paper, a pen and a photo you made.

There's no reason for zombies to appear out of thin air either ... What's your point?

• Like 1

If you want to know something you should care enough to gather the information. If you want to know the blood type/kill stats/lifetime of a player, how about no shooting them and asking them first? If they can't tell but there are other options to gather data (e.g. blood test kits), how about using them instead of killing the player getting the data for free.

Otherwise its just an excuse to kill somebody on sight and still gloat about how he survived for 10 weeks and murdered 100 players and 10000 zombies before that - something you could not and should not know. If you want an information you should get it how you usually get information.

The reason for zombies to appear out of thin air is giving players zombies to worry about without destroying performace by implementing an elaborate "zombie creation, migration and lifecyle" model.

Edited by Evil Minion

If you want to know something you should care enough to gather the information. If you want to know the blood type/kill stats/lifetime of a player, how about no shooting them and asking them first? If they can't tell but there are other options to gather data (e.g. blood test kits), how about using them instead of killing the player getting the data for free.

Obviously they're not going to know how many kilometres they walked or how many fires they started.

Also, not everyone is as chatty and some might shoot me before I get a chance to ask 'm anything.

I'm not talking about bloodtype, just fun stats. You know. Stats that are fun? Nothing that could help make the game easier, just stats that are ... Fun.

Otherwise its just an excuse to kill somebody on sight and still gloat about how he survived for 10 weeks and murdered 100 players and 10000 zombies before that - something you could not and should not know. If you want an information you should get it how you usually get information.

stdout usually. Hence the reason why I don't see the problem with the game giving it to me.

Anyhow, I could live perfectly fine without any such system being implemented ever but I wouldn't mind knowing more about the person I shot or even ending up with a little trophy that does not affect gameplay.

We're not ex-military, so tags are kind of unrealistic. Plus some of the stats would be a little unrealistic.

Your not, my character is. This is DayZ, this is my story.

I think a profession system READ THIS BEFORE YOU DAMN CRY would help. ZERO perks, but say a soldier would have dogtags, a tourist would have a passport, a cop would have a badge, a teacher would have a diploma, you know? Just little things like that, no gameplay value, just personalization. Maybe have it like the mod, you have a journal( that you can actually write in unlike the mod) and it also has an ID form related to the profession you chose in the customization menu.

Your not, my character is. This is DayZ, this is my story.

I think a profession system READ THIS BEFORE YOU DAMN CRY would help. ZERO perks, but say a soldier would have dogtags, a tourist would have a passport, a cop would have a badge, a teacher would have a diploma, you know? Just little things like that, no gameplay value, just personalization. Maybe have it like the mod, you have a journal( that you can actually write in unlike the mod) and it also has an ID form related to the profession you chose in the customization menu.

I do not think that would add anything to the game but disappointed players. People might read more into being able to pick a profession than there really is. If you can pick a cop, why doesn't he shoot more straight than the tourist?

On the other hand, it would be sort of cool if people could fill in biographies and to prevent that from turning into a spamfest I guess pre-determined entries would be a safe pick. Kinda like Safehouse diaries.

It seems sort of ... Besides the point when it comes to DayZ, though. It's not really about who you were, it's about what you do.

I do not think that would add anything to the game but disappointed players. People might read more into being able to pick a profession than there really is. If you can pick a cop, why doesn't he shoot more straight than the tourist?

On the other hand, it would be sort of cool if people could fill in biographies and to prevent that from turning into a spamfest I guess pre-determined entries would be a safe pick. Kinda like Safehouse diaries.

It seems sort of ... Besides the point when it comes to DayZ, though. It's not really about who you were, it's about what you do.

Honestly Im all for soldiers shooting straighter, cops wiggling out of cuffs, engineers build faster and tourists asking where the nearest restroom is.

But alas, people will abuse it. And people will say "OMG F-ING GAME I WAS A CAHP AND I WAS OUTGUNNED BY SOLDIER AFTER I TRIEDED TO KOS HIM CUZ IM BANDIT PRO LYFE THUG FIX YO GAYME ROCKIT"

So yeah, I honestly think my option is a good base.

And honestly, I say let the journal flow. It should be playerside, so no lag? And I mean, if you dont wanna read it dont read it.

But seriously Rocket: More faces. And fix your hair model, your model looks like a NeoNazi disguised as you XD

i think dog tags would be cool but only if you get them off of military zombies