Sign in to follow this  
djporternz

Managing Logout/login post 0.33.114782

NOTE: This is not the place to discuss the implementation of the timers and/or your own pet system to combat these problems in DayZ. Please take these posts to the numerous other posts that already exist for that discussion. Thank you.

With the upcoming patch this week the Logout timer and Relog penalties will be live on the stable branch. What I'm hoping to do here is collect simple tips that will be useful to maximise your chances of surviving theses changes for the new player and hardened pro alike.

Login to the Right Server:

At the server selection screen, make sure you are logging into the server you want to play on. Logging out and back in to another server is going to mean a five minute downtime if you get click happy here. Especially important if your intention is to play with a group on the same server. So slow down, and get this right. 30 s delay here is better than 5 mins of swearing!

Safety is your ONLY Concern:

Choose a place to log out that is safe now, and also going to be safe when you relog back in. Safety in DayZ is a fleeting commodity, but there are some places that are a little safer than others.

• NOWHERE IN DAYZ IS GUARANTEED 100% SAFE!
  • Zombies: not a great threat ATM, but if you can't fight back they ARE deadly. Make sure you have checked your surroundings. Remember, they can spot you from a long way out. Due dilligence will pay off. Don't get complacent!
  • Buildings with low/no loot spawns: Most players simply bypass these, making them suitable for logging. There is not really a necessity that these be far removed from valuable loot spawns. Buildings with an upper floor are an excellent choice, at least until Zs can consistently path up stairs!
  • Treelines: Always a good go to if there are few other options. Most towns and villages in Chernarus have handy trees that will give you concealment if not cover.
  • Wilderness: These are predominantly safe due to the shear size of Chernarus. Chances of being stumbled across are suitably low to non-existant.
  • Hardcore servers: While restricted to 1PP may be a hinderance to you, it is a great advantage to the logging player. It IS much easier to logout closer to other players simply by not being in their LoS. Conversely, relogging out of LoS is also much easier.

This is not to say that logging out elsewhere is inherently worse. I'm just trying to give tips to the new players that should maximise their likelyhood of surviving the logging process.

NOTE:

• Wait a little: There seems to be a slight delay between character updates to the Hive. It is sometimes advantageous to wait an extra 30 s where you intend to logout to let things settle down a little. Use this time to listen out for any inadvertant Zombie aggro. If you don't your login position may not match where you think you were by a short distance.

If you have some other tips or rules of thumb you use when logging in/out that you think will be useful after the upcoming patch, please post here. Also, if you have some ideas of how to log out from some of the more high-risk sites, I'd also be interested from hearing from you.

Quick Logging FAQ

What has been implemented?
Currently there is a 30 s logout timer in effect AFTER you leave a server. Your character stays on the server for this period of time, but you have no control over them and in fact are not even able to observe them in any way. In conjunction with this there is a 5 min relog timeout applied if you were not in your previous server for 30 mins before logout. NOTE: You cannot relog to a new/same server before the 30 s logout timer has elapsed.

What happens if I am out of game for longer than 5 mins?
In that case there is no relog timer applied. You have, in essence, already paid any penalty due.

If I stay in a server for 30 mins, am I penalised for switching?
Only by the 30 s logout timer. You won't be able to enter a new server until the 30 s has elapsed.

Are seperate Hives/Shards treated differently?
Yes. Hardcore and Regular characters are seperate, and so jumping from one mode to the other is not penalised by the current method. This will probably be the same for private hive/shard servers as well, but as these don't exist ATM, it is impossible to test.

What about ALT+F4?

Handled exactly the same way as a regular logout. There may be an even greater penalty due to the fact that it may take the server several seconds to realise you client has actually disconnected.

I have a flaky internet connection!

Sorry, it can be frustrating, but the server doesn't differentiate between logout methods. They are treated exactly the same. Unfortunately you're going to recieve any penalties the same as if you logged out on purpose. I'd suggest you try and find a better ISP/Connection if possible.

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 15

Sorry, didyn't read and thought it was QQ post.

Edited by Frosti

Cry more logger.

But look at that post! IT'S SO LONG!

/beans

Sorry, didyn't read and thought it was QQ post.

No problem. No harm, no foul.

• Like 1

Added a quick FAQ to the OP based on my testing of the system currently implemented on the Experimental servers.

Edited by DJPorterNZ

Hi all my first post here and loving the game :)

I also play Eve online where they have a simalar timer for logging out when aggroed. Eve has a safe logout option where you cannot interact with your ship or your surroundings for 30 seconds after activating, but can log back in if any potential threat is detected by the player. Would that not be a option for this game also?

Thanks for making a guide on about the logout feature as of 0.33.114782. Look like I need an alarm so I know that my 30 minutes in a specific server is up. Let me see get this straight. Before I try to log out of a specific server at a safe place, I would have to check my alarm/timer just to make sure that my 30 minutes on this server is up. Once I click the exit button on the menu, my avatar would be sitting in the ground for 30 second. Once time is up, I could switch to another server. Am I getting this right? I'm trying to make sure I understand how the logout feature works. Better make sure I get an alarm once this patch comes out to stable branch. Anyways, I'll spare you a can of bean.

Edited by LDClaudius

Thank you for the tips. It really helps players who haven't researched the change log or played the experimental build. Good work now take my beans!

Thanks for making a guide on about the logout feature as of 0.33.114782. Look like I need an alarm so I know that my 30 minutes in a specific server is up. Let me see get this straight. Before I try to log out of a specific server at a safe place, I would have to check my alarm/timer just to make sure that my 30 minutes on this server is up. Once I click the exit button on the menu, my avatar would be sitting in the ground for 30 second. Once time is up, I could switch to another server. Am I getting this right? I'm trying to make sure I understand how the logout feature works. Better make sure I get an alarm once this patch comes out to stable branch. Anyways, I'll spare you a can of bean.

You can do it that way if you want, and there may be some utility in doing that ATM with no loot respawns. Once we have loot respawning, there shouldn't really be any need to switch servers too often.

I also play Eve online where they have a simalar timer for logging out when aggroed. Eve has a safe logout option where you cannot interact with your ship or your surroundings for 30 seconds after activating, but can log back in if any potential threat is detected by the player. Would that not be a option for this game also?

They specifically tried a system similar to that on their internal server, and it failed based on their testing criteria. They implemented the best system they had which fixes all of the problems with minimal impact on legitimate players.

Thank you for the tips. It really helps players who haven't researched the change log or played the experimental build. Good work now take my beans!

Glad I can help.

What happens if you log out and back into the same server? Do you have to wait 5 mins or can you join back on after the 30 second logout timer? I only ask as I have a rubbish internet connection, would be more annoying if i had to wait the 5 mins to get back on...

What happens if you log out and back into the same server? Do you have to wait 5 mins or can you join back on after the 30 second logout timer? I only ask as I have a rubbish internet connection, would be more annoying if i had to wait the 5 mins to get back on...

Doesn't matter if it's the same server or a different one.

On server restarts I generally have to disco/reco in order to get past "Please wait." screen else it's all too reminiscent of a database failing to create a character back on the mod and being eternally stuck. Either way you're penalized, just grab some coffe, chow, or a smoke.

• Like 1

Great tips, much appreciated! And ignore the comments about QQ and tl:dr, just like we have server hoppers in the game, over here on the forum we get post farmers.

Anyway I think you should add this:

Once you find appropriate place to log out take at least 30 sec to ensure that no zombie have aggro and is running towards you from a far. Additionally it helps you to synchronize your log out location with your spawning location as you log in (I noticed that if you log out after a run or something you will be backpedaled).

Edited by Miquinei
  • Like 1

Doesn't matter if it's the same server or a different one

Ah savage, thank you