Gimpylung

What will make me trust another player? Solo players v. Solo player

I'm talking about how things play out this minute...

If you perceive this thread as a whine thread, you are mistaken

If you perceive this thread as a KOS advocacy thread, you are mistaken

If you perceive this thread as an anti-KOS thread, you are mistaken

It is a discussion.(I hope)

Lets start with the caveat that you are a solo player with quite a bit of time invested in your current char.

Just with regard to solo play as any wise solo player should keep his head down if he sees a geared up team operating as a squad.

So I'm fully geared up, I see another fully geared up player, he's not aware of me and I'm pretty sure he's soloing.

I have a few options...

#1 Attempt to arrest him, and gauge if he's a good guy or a bad guy or somewhere in between.

#2 Shoot him on site and risk looting him.

#3 Shoot him for the hell of it and get the hell out of dodge.

#4 Not reveal myself and either leave the area or wait till he does.

#5 Make no attempt to arrest him but speak to him over local from cover and see how that goes.

Option 1 comes with enormous risk depending on where I am, a populated town means I'm likely to reveal myself to a third party.

Option 2 has similar problems to option 1 but less so as it takes less time to simply loot than to arrest but the gear is probably wrecked and did you need his gear anyways?

Option 3 risks exposing yourself to a third party also but also eliminates the threat of the 2nd player seeing you.

Option 4 eliminates a significant aspect of the game but that gear you are overly attached too is safe.

Option 5 is more complex and possibly the most interesting, you are hidden but the second party and possibly more people know you are there now.

Anyways is that all the options? Suggest more if you have some.

As far as I can see everyone seems to be pretty twitchy and untrusting, and the majority are overly attached to their stuff. Based on this premise I can see why many people seem to opt for option 3 and 4.

Basically, I'm just trying to gauge community sentiment, are you hoping to see this game develop into a coop type thing where you are rewarded for cooperating with others, or would you prefer a more aggressive shooter type game.

It currently seems to be leaning toward shooter due to the alpha nature of the game and the lack of more expansive endgame content, and that fine, people like shooters, its a valid genre but somewhat thin is all. But will people expect this kind of gameplay to be expanded now that they are getting used to it.

I get the impression that people will still want to shoot each other even in much later versions of the game, despite the fact that at some point it might be the most unwise course of action due to expansion of game mechanics that would reward a more cooperative approach.

tl:dr

Will the developers be able to create a version of the game that will overcome the typical gamers desire to shoot each other, coz when you give a player a rifle and a crosshairs thats the most likely outcome.

And don't get me wrong PLEASE, I'm not averse to shooting the odd player for sport, nor do I mind the helping the odd player when it suits, but how can these interactions be balanced. 

Edited by Gimpylung

I shoot people on site because I feel like they're going to shoot me. I started playing Rust, and I have met a lot of friendlies, but some bandits too. The community is a lot better, but I still love DayZ. 

the first question I ask myself is "do they have a weapon in their hands?" do I have in mine? is it possible for me to talk to them when they don't have a weapon in their hands, either by my design or fate?  this is the DayZ conundrum.. who is in control you or them?

Edited by Calibre

What will make me trust another player?

Non-exploitable humanity system with bandit/survivor/hero skins.

• Like 2

I can talk only for myself. I hide always still I trust them. I show them always they are free to do anything they want. I show them always that I don`t see them as possible thread.

Example to day.

I was overwatching balota 20 min. No one there. I moved behind the balota baracks and heard/saw someone in the baracks.

I was not 100% sure he was serverhopping. I missed watching the playerlist like I do normaly when I go to military loot. High end stuff, high geared.

I toled him that here is no problem, that I see him, that I don`t want kill him. You can log out now or finish looting, but it would be nice if you leave balota after looting.

I was anyway 100% sure he logs out. I wonder that he come out and went to the other barack. :P

He trust me 100%. I asked him for his blood type. He was not answering anymore.

I was not sure he is in TS talking. I leave him... Start again the overwatching.

For me is forcing someone to do something no option.

Most important for me is the voice. Is the voice staged, nervous or is he calm, free talking.

Edited by NoCheats
  • Like 1

What will make me trust another player?

communication.

• Like 2

I think it's way too early to start these kind of discussions as changes are rolling at quite fast rate.

For now options 1 and 5 are pretty irrational in current state, hell even combination of the two. This is because you can *poof* (combat log) and it's over, only naive or those who look beyond the scope of the game (at the moment) exercise these but really do it solely for enjoyment of the risk itself - like myself. 

Option number 2 is quite attractive if you're under geared, otherwise it's just stupid to expose yourself for loot that can be easily found (at least for now).

Option number 3, probably most frequently reoccurring. People are either trolling or this is their style of play and fail (or decide not to) see the big picture of social interaction that this game offers (and yet make irrational as the game is still under development and not all features are implemented).  

If you're going for option number 4, in my opinion you shouldn't play the game at all - waste of time. 

Like stated in opening sentence, in my opinion it is too early to start this kind of discussion and get to any interesting conclusions. 

Edited by Miquinei
  • Like 1

But what if you are all 3 depending on your humour on a given day

communication.

True, but aspirational, I fear it would require a sea change in gamer mentality. What can the devs do to incentivise that kind of behavior?

Edited by Gimpylung

I think it's way too early to start these kind of discussions as changes are rolling at quite fast rate.

For now options 1 and 5 are pretty irrational in current state, hell even combination of the two. This is because you can *poof* (combat log) and it's over, only naive or those who look beyond the scope of the game (at the moment) exercise these but really do it solely for enjoyment of the risk itself - like myself. 

Option number 2 is quite attractive if you're under geared, otherwise it's just stupid to expose yourself for loot that can be easily found (at least for now).

Option number 3, probably most frequently reoccurring. People are either trolling or this is their style of play and fail (or decide not to) see the big picture of social interaction that this game offers (and yet make irrational as the game is still under development and not all features are implemented).  

If you're going for option number 4, in my opinion you shouldn't play the game at all - waste of time. 

Like stated in opening sentence, in my opinion it is too early to start this kind of discussion and get to any interesting conclusions. 

I hear you. But development is goin to go in a particular route so the devs might welcome any discussion even if it is possibly premature

ya right now with the nervousness of everyone kos or avoidance seems also will talk if surprised but still shoot ya in the back , so ya tend to overwatch alot  till more is added ..Still Love This Game  tho

• Like 1

The  other option is to follow them sneaky and pop up on their screen when they are eating or holding a strong box/healing bag/ammo box etc. So I will be sure they can not react in a way to harm me. They will be forced to obey in able to survive or will try to arm and die.

After that, you can talk to them when their arms are up in the air and decide what to do with much less risk.

• Like 1

ya right now with the nervousness of everyone kos or avoidance seems also will talk if surprised but still shoot ya in the back , so ya tend to overwatch alot  till more is added ..Still Love This Game  tho

I dunno if I love it yet, but I am so drawn to it, often frustrating but ALWAYS compelling

If I see someone who doesn't see me and they have a gun, I will avoid them if I can. If they have a melee weapon/no weapon, I will approach them with my gun out (In case they try to beat me to death). If I need anything, such as food, I will offer a trade. A couple of days ago I gave a guy 10 mosin rounds (He had an unloaded, roundless mosin) for a can of spaghetti. From his manner I could tell pretty certainly that he wasn't going to shoot me, but I ran into a house while he wasn't looking to make sure he wasn't using those bullets to seek me out and shoot me after I'd left.

Be cautious and be clever and you should be able to have interaction with players without blowing their heads off or them doing the same to you.

• Like 1

If I see someone who doesn't see me and they have a gun, I will avoid them if I can.

As soon as I have a gun... I must investigate or interact with them. :P

Unless I am covered by a gun at close range and there is more than one player, there is no way I am going to let anyone arrest me for anything. I'll take the risk that I can kill you before you kill me.

Folks get entirely too sadistic when they pullout those handcuffs. It is downright creepy.

I generally ignore the player or talk to them from cover.

Hard one.

In all honesty, from the experiences I've been trough, IF they intend to kill you they will on the spot. End of story.

IF they intend to rob, the approach is more careful, ring around, distance, rearguard man watch cover.

IF friendly they also adopt a safety distance rule.

All of these are rules because of the exceptions.

Best advice is go with the flow, even if you getting handcuffed, and give them a nice talk instead of raging, getting killed and rage more because you have to start all over again.

Killed outright... well...not much anyone can do. Some guys just feel superior testing guns in the new spawns. Let them. Karma has its ways.

Snappy salute !

Options 4 and 5 are the ones I go with, though I completely understand having a KoS disposition in the airfields which are super dangerous. I generally try to avoid making contact with guys with guns unless they're in a building and I'm outside. If two fully armed players intend to talk it's really best to do it with hard cover separating the two parties. Like if you meet in the woods just get behind a tree to talk, no need for face to face.

I agree that friendlies tend to keep a good distance and will also understand your need to maintain distance. It's very hard to gauge a players motivation at distance unless they just start shooting other players. Friendlies and KoS players will sneak around and try to remain unseen. A countersniper will take up a position just like a bambi killing sniper might.

Not this crap again please. Take it to the other thread. It is never going to happen. Get over it.

Trust.

That most elusive of commodities.

If you lack the ability to read a situation then you will often find yourself making the wrong choices when it comes to who you can and who you can't trust.

There is no magic formula.

First you need to trust yourself and your own instincts, then go with what your gut tells you.

I just find the predilection to handcuff hilarious.  What right do you have to "arrest" anyone?  Unless you are COMPLETELY outclassed and have no chance of escape or killing the enemy, there isn't a single occasion I would allow myself to be cuffed.  I have cuffed people to check them for a gun, though generally I am fine with them taking off their gear for me to look at it instead, but I don't trust people to cuff then release.  I would rather have the chance to fight back.

Trust.

That most elusive of commodities.

If you lack the ability to read a situation then you will often find yourself making the wrong choices when it comes to who you can and who you can't trust.

There is no magic formula.

First you need to trust yourself and your own instincts, then go with what your gut tells you.

LOL, based on your avatar and sig I'd guess you may have some trust issues yourself.

LOL, based on your avatar and sig I'd guess you may have some trust issues yourself.

not at all

I trust only myself unconditionally and present others with the opportunity to earn it.

I take few chances and am very usually correct in my decision making, however whenever there is doubt shots do ring out.

• Like 1

I just find the predilection to handcuff hilarious.  What right do you have to "arrest" anyone?  Unless you are COMPLETELY outclassed and have no chance of escape or killing the enemy, there isn't a single occasion I would allow myself to be cuffed.  I have cuffed people to check them for a gun, though generally I am fine with them taking off their gear for me to look at it instead, but I don't trust people to cuff then release.  I would rather have the chance to fight back.

Carefully now, you'll offend the roleplayers, apparently if you'd prefer to take your chances and not submit to arrest, then you aren't playing the game properly, coz they know whats proper.

• Like 1

LOL you are probably right, I just find it laughable, because lets be honest, in a zombie apocalypse where there are both zombies and legions of sadists, being handcuffed in some abandoned town is preferable to running off into the woods and taking a risk that you might be shot!