UnarmedCiv

Ice Chests. Perishable items -- Blood bags and food spoilage

I did a search, and did not find anything on this.  

As you may know, to keep blood from going bad in the real world, hospitals store blood in cold temperatures.  We also use refrigerators at our homes to preserve food for longer than they would last in the open air. 

All non-canned organic items should be perishable. 

Blood should not last more than a few hours while not on ice. 

Raw Meat should not last more than a day while not on ice.

Fruits should not last more than 7 day cycles while not on ice.

I propose ICE CHESTS to keep blood bags and food fresh:

%24T2eC16F,!zEE9s3!(JH8BRU58G6LNw~~60_35

BUT WAIT.. WE NEED ELECTRICITY TO MAKE ICE!  

....INCORRECT!

I present to you ICE PATCHES:

snow.jpg

Ice patches can be found in random places throughout Chernarus where you would expect it to stay for long periods of time.  Examples: In the shade,  random open field, the base of trees, up north, high on mountains, around ponds, etc. 

HARVEST the ice patches and put them into your ice chest.  Heres a pic I edited. 

ZtxSMzC.png

Notice the clumped Ice and the melted ice (water puddles) in the ice chest.  The ice chest displays its temperature based on the amount of ice inside. 

Over time, Ice will melt exponentially.  The more ice in the chest, the cooler the ice chest, thus the slower the ice melts.  Up to 12 hours of ice on a full cooler of ice only (debatable). 

NOTE: Ice chests do not prevent spoilage, only slows it. 

NOTE 2: This proposal will CHANGE many items into perishable items.  

This will make DayZ even harder than it is now. 

Discuss. 

Edited by UnarmedCiv
  • Like 11

if we have a climate where ice patches persist in shady places, exposure to water by walking through ponds should be close to lethal due to hypothermia unless you dry by a fire for an extended period

if we have a climate where ice patches persist in shady places, exposure to water by walking through ponds should be close to lethal due to hypothermia unless you dry by a fire for an extended period

Nice Hypothermia idea .. we can finally put those knee-high rubber boots, down jackets, and gloves to use.   Also a good reason to make a fire in the middle of the day. 

Edited by UnarmedCiv

Plenty of factories, I'm sure one or two have some dry ice...nice rare item, 2x or 3x ice duration.

I am not sure about this. Don't get me wrong, having a storage items specificity for food items would be nice, but I feel like the blood bags are balanced enough as is. You have not only have to have another player administer it to you, but you have to make sure it is the right blood type.

Another problem that I see with the cooler idea is that they are kinda large and bulky. Even small lunch box size ones are. They will take up a large inventory space. A large one would at least take up 3x3 and a small one would be about a 2x2, which a small protector case could easily fill the role of.

None the less, I do agree that items should become perishable once opened. Your idea also has a lot of thought clearly put into it, and you even have pictures to help explain your thoughts. I just want to give my constructive critisim.

I feel like the blood bags are balanced enough as is. You have not only have to have another player administer it to you, but you have to make sure it is the right blood type.

And i believe thats still not enough. Not for long-term atleast.  As it sits right now, you can harvest blood bags, fill up your entire backpack with them, and they wont ever expire.  As long as they arent consumed, they can bake in that oven you call a backpack and they never go bad.   You can in theory live for 1 year without dieing and they work just the same.   

I see nothing wrong with holding it for a few hours max, but once it hits a certain threshold, somethings gotta give.  It just seems completely broken to have unlimited blood supplies to hold onto indefinitely.  

I imagine bases with rows of Tents where clan mates drop blood bags into and just forget about them.   Each tent gets its own blood type.  You take them like vitamins with unlimited end.   With exipiring blood bags,  If a clan tries to farm blood supplies, they will have a little opposition from the game mechanics. 

Another problem that I see with the cooler idea is that they are kinda large and bulky. Even small lunch box size ones are.

YES.  They SHOULD be large and bulky and waste space.  Something as valuable as blood shouldn't be so easily hidden.  

Perhaps you can only carry a sidearm and shoot it clumsily with one hand until you drop the ice chest.  This would make teamwork more valuable.  If someone is busy holding the blood, then he will need protection.  If your group wants to carry some long-lasting blood up north, you will need to protect a poorly-armed mule.   Now, Instead of killing that noob on the shore,  perhaps you can give him an ice chest to carry instead of a bullet.  

Like I said before though, this WILL make DayZ harder. 

Edited by UnarmedCiv