JiJi (DayZ)

Blood Test Kit

While Blood bags in DayZ mod were essential, players actually sulk them in DayZ SA.

1- Saline bag do the job easier and safer.
2- Full Blood bags don't spawn, you have to find empty one then collect blood from someone.
3- Transfusion will kill you if wrong blood type injected.
4- (I can't figure out how to test already full Blood bag looted from someone else inventory).
5- Blood Test Kit are rare and single-use only. Initially you need at least two of them (2 slots): One for you + one for the guy you collect blood.

How to restore Blood bag popularity ?
Here my suggestions concerning Blood Test Kit :

* It would be interesting to add Blood Test Kit within First Aid Kit items (along with bandage,syringe,IV start kit,...) , in order to reduce its rarity.
120px-First_Aid_Kit.png

* It would be interesting to add multiple uses to Blood Test Kit (100%) where, for instance, each use remove -25% (more if not pristine).

--- Edit (08 FEB) :

Instead multiple uses (unrealistic), Blood Test Kit could be a "stackable" spawned item. Just like rags or bullets -> combined in one slot.

* If you inspect a Blood Test Kit, you will notice an empty white texture on the back :

1lFsRhi.jpg< > 03hMrGu.jpg

... I suggest to print a table reminder on it :

8872592fcf2737b7af18ae766101024b.jpg

IMHO it would encourage and ease the use of Blood bag game mechanic without deep changes on itself.

--- Edit (08 FEB)

Another suggestion Blood Test Kit related :

Once your character tested and his blood type revealed, an icon reminder could be displayed forever (until he die).

0i2p8fq.jpg

-Why?

Since some play DayZ occasionally, from week to week they may just forget it. Also we may confuse with second character from public/hardcore hive (different type).

--- Edit (12 FEB)

Last suggestion : Allow blood test from looted/found/owned Blood bags through Syringe

AC29Zms.gif

So far (version 0.35) :
Test blood from Syringe sample is possible.
But Syringe cannot collect blood from Blood bags.

* Alternative way, Blood Test Kit directly on Blood Bag (no syringe).

Edited by JiJi
  • Like 40

You have my beans sir!

Both, for wonderful suggestions, and also great presentation thereof. :)

Edited by Survivor_Sabre

Anything that encourages wider use of the blood bag is bad, IMHO. I, for one, remove them from play whenever I find one, and I play a medic exclusively.

Your last suggestion has merit. I've got something similar stickied to my monitor, but would be good to have an in-game mechanic for refreshing my failing memory.

Multiple use self-contained blood test kits don't exist in RL. There's a reason for that! So no to that. If there was a reasonably high cross-infection mechanic from doing it anyway, then I'd give it a possible maybe.

Test kits in Med kit also gets a thumbs down from me. They should be reasonably hard to find. Likewise, it should be dangerous for an untrained person to try and perform something as risky as a blood transfusion. There's a reason these aren't routinely done in the field. That';s why we have saline. Its safe and effective and does the job without the inherent risk of blood products.

• Like 3

I thought saline bags had been fixed, so they now only grant 500 blood, not 5000 blood, making blood bags at 1000 blood twice as effective as saline.

I like that blood testing kits are rare and hard to find, instead of standard equipment in medical kits. Making it difficult to determine your blood type, encourages players to value their characters, when they've finally determined their blood type. It's a simply way to add value to life and support the survival aspect of DayZ, rather than implementing other types of RPG skills to encourage survival artificially.

• Like 1

i think they patched saline bags allready, gave two to a friend yesterday  (not prestine, worn  + Damaged) and his vision was still very grey.

I like the idea of th compatibility table on the back and i also think they should be "a bit" more common....

in real life you would not reuse your testing equipment if you expect accurate results.  You would want a sterile vial/tester for every test.  So unless you can clean the blood test kit perfectly, I dont believe it should be used more than once. 

well this are no real life condition. Hospitals, doctors use stuff only once... but this is an end of world szenario with limited supplies.

in real life i wouldnt eat a banana or a damaged can of beans lying arround in a abandond factory ;)

but im no export for those tests, i dont even know my real bloodtype. if its really a only one use item, which i guess because of chemicals and other stuff inside, it shouldnt be possible in the game... just let them spawn a little more often and everythings fine or make them spawn as double set.

btw, blood expires fast if its no cooled correctly. i think it says this even in the game, does this have a affect allready or can i supply blood that has been lying arround in  my backpack for days next to all the other crap :D

Edited by Sonic-NKT

well this are no real life condition. Hospitals, doctors use stuff only once... but this is an end of world szenario with limited supplies.

in real life i wouldnt eat a banana or a damaged can of beans lying arround in a abandond factory ;)

I bet you would eat that stuff if you were starving irl.  It happens all the time. 

Back to blood.. If youre gonna put something in your body that could instantly kill you, Im sure you would want a perfect test.  Not something that mixed with someone elses results. 

maybe they should spawn some ice chests for us to store blood in.  And some snow / ice patches to keep inside the ice chests

well but i would also use medical stuff twice if i could clean it with alcohol in those conditions... so no real arguement.

i also never saw a medipack in my life containing empty blood bags, iv starter kits or water purification tablets ;) those usually only contain different forms of bandages, scissors, tape. So i see no harm in including blood test kits as well from time to time. but at the moment it is fixed whats included i guess.

well its still a game in the end and it would be really annoying to find this equipment only in hospitals or doctors offices...

Actually everyone rely on saline bag or food/water regen, and most people just don't pay attention to blood test kit found. :(
It's a shame to leave that game content (transfusion) because too difficult to obtain/exploit, and also a shame to see opponent as only "potential stuff to loot on his dead body".

PS : Multiple-use is an ingame trick to balance the fact a single small kit occupy one slot (consider it as a "stacks of").

Edited by JiJi

Great idea!!!! Holy crap we have genius in the forums. Keep posting ideas like that. Take my beans!

Since blood type tests are so rare, then potentially your initial "character build" (restarting toon) could be the same blood type for ever..you test once and you know exactly their type. My last one was type O+ this present one is type O- , technically i could make a living trading my blood to other toons ingame. I have found more 91/30's than i have found blood test kits... so why not make my blood a tradable (hence less presure to K.O.S, or capture, milk all my blood then K.O.S) item.

Its a good idea as well (as mentioned above) to include a blood test kit with a blood bag collection setup in a particular med kit, (or 2, one for you, one for your trade partner). 

A couple of different "med-kits" is a good idea too. the saline one could have a bag of saline, a morphine pen, a couple of bandages and antiseptic,

a basic med-kit (found near beginner spawn points) could be the water purification tabs, charcoal tabs, bandages, penicillian, vitamins..

It would also be good to make these stackable.. if 100% is 10 or a 12 tabs, then i can stack 2 or 3 packets up to 12 tabs (you know room in the pack is going to be a big issue as more items are added to the game). Its kind of a joke that you have to keep individual slots for sterile bandages, but you can stack rags 6 high. Why not make sterile bandages stack 3 high?

Aditionally, if you are going to make it more likely to break limbs, then a person is going to need to be able to carry more than one morphine pen, or splint, or at least be able to harvest the "sticks" from particular trees in the bush rather than have to find them spawned in houses.. i break something, i can crawl into the bush, find some sticks, use up 3 rags to bandage my limb up, chomp down some pain killers... back to killing zombies.

This is somewhat on topic. But a few of my friends have found a brilliant use for blood-bags

We all take blood from ourselves and carry our own blood-bags on our person. Thus, if we need health in a pinch? Just give your bag to a friend and have him pump that blood back into you.

Good idea. I would also like to see blood test kit as a part of every First Aid kid package. 

This is somewhat on topic. But a few of my friends have found a brilliant use for blood-bags

We all take blood from ourselves and carry our own blood-bags on our person. Thus, if we need health in a pinch? Just give your bag to a friend and have him pump that blood back into you.

Sure your way would work with current mechanics.  But what if the mechanics were different?  What if your blood bags went bad quickly if you did not keep them cool?  Check this out. 

Suggestion updated/edited (12 FEB)

Last thread update, still related but since it moves on Blood bag topic I've started a new suggestion post about that.

Edited by JiJi

I like the ideas from JiJi, got my beans for that.

I'm also a fan of the "include blood test into first aid kit". Only if it is for logic.

I put bandages, water purification tabs and a blood bag + IV-Kit into a first aid kit, but no blood test kit? What is the idea behind that?

Small wounds? Bandage it!

Big wounds? Bandage it, then take somebodys blood and give it to him, hoping he is not dying?

Big wounds? Bandage it, then take his own blood and give it back to him for no change?

Big wounds? Bandage it and have taken his own blood from an earlier time to give it to him, while both of these actions requires a second person who is not killing you outright? (What a great way to encourage team play :rolleyes: )

And if all of that wasn't rubbish enough, include some water purification tabs, that make absolutly no sense in this setup at all.

Drop the tabs and include the BTK, it makes more sense.

Or drop the blood bags and IV-StarterKit from the FirstAidKit and include alcoholic tincture and such.

Or replace the blood bag with a saline bag, for real FIRST AID buisness, without having much time to waste for harvesting blood, test it and then give it to someone.

Another idea from my side:

There are small electronic devices for blood testing.

They use it for testing everyone, when you are going to donor blood. They take a drop of blood from you, use it on a small plastic clip, put this clip into the device, it tells them what blood type you have, they drop the plastic clip in the trash and use a new one to test the next donor.

How about implementing such devices and testing stripes to spawn at hospitals and sometimes in military tents (medic tents)?

Maybe it uses 2 to 4 slots in a backpack, plus 1 slot for a box ot testing clips (somewhere between 10 and 20 maybe?). Also it needs a battery to use it.

What's your opinion on this?

really good ideas, beans for you  :beans:  :thumbsup:

Great ideas! I might add that saline "overdosing" should eventually kill you by overhydration (thinning of the blood to the point where it can no longer transport oxygen). At least I hope they implement that. 

I like that blood testing kits are rare and hard to find

Ive only ever found one, so yea they are extremely hard to find.

IMO bloodbags and bloodtest are just too in depth. I'd rather get saline if I lost blood or became unconscious and then eat/drink my way to full blood than have to find a blood kit, a syringe, etc. Anytime I see a test kit or bloodbag I drop/leave it.

maybe It's just a coincidence but i've found frequently a blood test kit in the new blue medical center..

I don't get why this still hasn't come up. Do none of you guys know your blood type? Why shouldn't we know our blood type from the start? There are multiple ways to find out: at birth, on medical exam, blood donations, diseases test, ... This is mainly true for rich countries, don't know the situation for chernarussains though ^^'

Anyways, knowing your blood type will make the process so much more easier especially if it's gonna get harder with keeping blood cool. Blood tests will not be half as used since it will only be useful for unconscious players since you can't ask them their bood type.

One problem will be the suicide issues: bandits want to have AB- (and any sane person as well ^^') while medics want to have O+

Of course, since suicide an be done for plenty of other cheaty means, having a respawn delay of 3 to 5 minutes will certainly discourage anyone from killing themselves for stupid reasons.