DaedalRogue

MOLLE or Modular Plate Carrier Vest

Adding some more chest carry items and have some variables associated with them for storage options. This can allow people to pick and choose what they'd like to have carried on them with up to 12 slots becoming available

What I was thinking was we have pouches as a found item in addition to the Plate carrier vest itself. The vest with have no storage value when found but in combination with the pouches provide a slightly larger storage space than the pre-made tactical vests.

Pouches would go like:

• Magazine Pouch - 1x2 Squares, Magazines and Ammo limited
  • Medical Pouch - 2x2 Squares, Only holds medical items or Medkit
  • General Purpose Storage Pouch - 2x2 Holds Anything
  • Gun Holster - 2x2 Only Holds sidearms, same behavior as the chest Holster currently
  • Small Item Storage Pouch - 1x1 Square, meant for radios normally but can hold a myriad of items.

These would attach to the vest in a similar fashion as attachments to weapons. Keep in mind the slots being added would/could be fixed purpose making it so it doesn't really create a distinct advantage unless you have items to go into those slots. In addition, the pouches could come in a myriad of camo patterns from Solid Black to Woodland or TTSK. This could make it so you have a hodge-podge appearance with this equipment on.

• Like 27

I would love this and was about to suggest it if you had not. Molle webbing is one of the most common ways to customize your load out these days.

When I was in the services I had molle all over my backpack, combat vest and combat belt.

I had most of my pre-loaded ammo, radio, medical supplies, knife, pistol, compass, map and grenades on my body. My backpack had close, water, food, sleeping bag, extra ammo in boxes and whatever I needed.

Adding specialized pouches to the game that can only hold specific thing would just make it more “real” for me.

Holster can only hold a sidearm, magazine pouch can only hold magazines, medical pouch can only hold medical equipment, radio pouch can only hold a radio and so on.

The specific pouches in a molle system are tailored to store a specific thing and then you have some pouches that can just hold your random stuff.

• Like 1

Thats why I suggested a general purpose pouch to hold just random stuff and the 2x2 size for it fits for the ammo boxes or the yellow storage box or anything else someone would throw in there. Then the Magazine pouch I suggested Mags or Ammo cause some weapons don't have a "magazine" or quick load method (looking at you Mosin) and restricting someone from even putting loose rounds into them I think is a fairly harsh punishment when they don't have another good option other than the backpack.

And I agree that it'd make it feel more real. I have experience with molle gear and the speed at which you can customize what you have on a vest or pack is awesome for getting the exact gear you need at any given time.

Honestly, out of all of the suggestions I've seen so far this is the most logical and would be the most useful addition. 

I understand that this game is about post apocalyptic survival and I love that. 

But I'm telling you now if I happened to run along a deserted military base or airfield in a real life post apocalyptic world the first damn thing I would look for would be MOLLE gear. The possibilities are endless with it. And the added benefits are that the crucial items you need in combat or lifesaving situations are right on hand and accessible within seconds. 

This would also force people to use the room in their backpack with more thought. Especially once the tents are added in. 

great idea, really like it. It ties in with my own thoughts about the time needed to get a gun out of a backpack and from a tac vest -I believe they are the same now which doesn´t make sense. I´d love to see animation forcing you to crouch, swing your backpack off your shoulder and grab the item and put the backpack back on (or leave it on the ground as an in between step for firefights etc.). Also think of the added warning -bandits are more likely to carry weapons out or when a backpack animation starts, you are alerted and can assess the situation in real time.

Edited by unicornsmustdie

Honestly, out of all of the suggestions I've seen so far this is the most logical and would be the most useful addition.

But I'm telling you now if I happened to run along a deserted military base or airfield in a real life post apocalyptic world the first damn thing I would look for would be MOLLE gear.

To be honest, I have MOLLE gear. I picked up the gear to actually go to gaming conventions namely PAX with the full setup of a Helghast Infantry from Killzone. So that sort of gear its readily available to civilians as well as military personel. I know a lot of paintballers that have their own gear as well.

I suggest the plate carrier vest, but left out the ballistic plates as an attachment as those could only be found in Police/Military hands. While what I have is a full plate carrier vest I don't think I'd want the 30 pound front and back plates in it ever unless something apocalyptic happened.

Though the one good arguement I could see to this is Soviet Block countries don't use MOLLE gear, there is a russian version thats slightly different in it's rigging method but a similar concept which I think could be used as a replacement for it.

To be honest, I have MOLLE gear. I picked up the gear to actually go to gaming conventions namely PAX with the full setup of a Helghast Infantry from Killzone. So that sort of gear its readily available to civilians as well as military personel. I know a lot of paintballers that have their own gear as well.

I suggest the plate carrier vest, but left out the ballistic plates as an attachment as those could only be found in Police/Military hands. While what I have is a full plate carrier vest I don't think I'd want the 30 pound front and back plates in it ever unless something apocalyptic happened.

Though the one good arguement I could see to this is Soviet Block countries don't use MOLLE gear, there is a russian version thats slightly different in it's rigging method but a similar concept which I think could be used as a replacement for it.

Valid point, I wasn't saying only the Military has MOLLE gear, I was just making a point. 

However as you stated MOLLE is very accessible to the public. I was just giving my two cents based off my experience in the Marines using all types of MOLLE gear.

The idea of having a plate carrier is also a great idea, the SAPI plates could be rare spawns at helicopter crashes or barracks. And the benefit of having the plate carrier is that you could either choose to add pouches to it. Or you could run it with just the plates and a combat vest over it. 

Question is, from a gameplay perspective, is it even practical to have this level of granularity? You're not going to be reconstructing your MOLLE setup everytime you find new bits don't you?

Question is, from a gameplay perspective, is it even practical to have this level of granularity? You're not going to be reconstructing your MOLLE setup everytime you find new bits don't you?

Oh yes I would. Thats what I did RL. I tested different setups in training and adjusted my needs. I actually had two setups depending on the job. An all purpose out in the field and a CQB/Urban setup.  

Good point. It would be really cool if the plate carrier started as a 6 slot additional vest and then as you found pouches for it and attached (Combined) them more slot's would open up. 

So essential it could work something like this.

Plate carrier (4 or 6 slots)

PC + Primary mag pouch (additional 2 slots) Up to an additional 3 Primary pouches.

PC + PMP + IFAK pouch, which is a first aid pouch (additional 6 slots) 

ETC ETC

And yes I understand that what I just explained takes up more than the original 6 slots on the Plate carrier. The reason for this is that most plate carriers have what is known as an admin pouch built into them which allow you to hold useful items (I.E maps and compass) The MOLLE webbing would therefore allow you to attach many more MOLLE pouches. Effectively allowing additional slots to open up

I hope that makes sense to everyone. 

First can you post some images of Molle and some of the variations you suggested? Always nice to see and you'll probably farm more beans.

Second this works nicely with my thread on increased inventory squares and segregating vest pockets - someone suggested Molle there too.

Third, absolutely agree with the need to make item retrieval from the back pack slower than from a vest or holster. My suggestion in that thread was to have a backpack removal animation (to even view your pack contents let alone access the items within). The length of the animation would add the appropriate delay.

Edited by Roshi

Two images of a plate carrier. The first on is barebones showing a possible usage of the admin pouch I mentioned. 

The second is almost identical to how I had my vest setup in country. 

post-190413-0-01852900-1391389296_thumb.

post-190413-0-87980800-1391389308_thumb.

• Like 1

Here's another possibility. 

This one shows an additional map/admin pouch.

two pistol mag pouches

Four M16 pouches

and an IFAK (thats the pouch you can see on the right side of the picture right behind the other mag pouch) 

post-190413-0-66841100-1391389520_thumb.

Edited by Swanicus

molle bags  and plate carriers would definitely add something to the game. molle bags should also fit on backpacks too. a simple system that added slots for universal storage and a + attachment point for specific storage would work best in my mind

Just bumping this, I like the idea, more people should read it!

The modular vest system is unnecessary addition to DayZ and will require too much balancing to make it work,

considering assault vests at the moment has 8 slots of space and have 8 pouches on it in total. It would be too

overpowering to increase the capacity beyond over that 8 slot size with combination of improvised backpacks,

making the stealthy, well camouflaged players mules.

I would like it a lot, magazine slots should be separate so you can't fit a cooking pot in your vest.

Holster should work like current chest one and only hold a handgun/ banana in future update.

I don't think the revolver should fit, but maybe we could have a waist holster/ bandolier for that and hopefully future revolvers like the Nagant.

And holster for the C96 which will come... "It has too!"

if you think this would be unbalanced you don't understand scavenging

the OP is suggesting you find a modular vest wither either reduced or complete lacking of slots when found, additional slots added with molle bags that can be found. there'd be an obvious upper limit to how much can be attached, maybe you get a max of 10-16 slots, most which can only handle specific items. to get those you have to dredge through the innumerable item spawn to find not just the specific molle bags your looking for but ones in decent condition, compared to just finding  an 8 slot vest ready to go. your comparing finding a high quality item to finding around 5 high quality items. there will be much more time invested in getting the molle vest decked out which would definitely balance it to ready to go vest.

Edited by commanderbash
  • Like 1

>Regardless, i don't think it's worth adding. Maybe a few "ready to go" vests, but such a fragmented item? That's inviting inventory hell.

if you think this would be unbalanced you don't understand scavenging

the OP is suggesting you find a modular vest wither either reduced or complete lacking of slots when found, additional slots added with molle bags that can be found. there'd be an obvious upper limit to how much can be attached, maybe you get a max of 10-16 slots, most which can only handle specific items. to get those you have to dredge through the innumerable item spawn to find not just the specific molle bags your looking for but ones in decent condition, compared to just finding  an 8 slot vest ready to go. your comparing finding a high quality item to finding around 5 high quality items. there will be much more time invested in getting the molle vest decked out which would definitely balance it to ready to go vest.

I understand scavenging better then most

In current state of game i can wear 2x or 4x shirt, 6x pants and 8x combat vest to carry everything i need to survive and combat.

With addition of improvised backpack, i can carry x20 slots of empty space for scavenging stuff for my friends, while remaining

well camouflaged, i could even drop out the combat vest and still have a lot of free space for anything.

I dont see how MOLLE could possibly be 1,5x or 2x bigger then regular combat vest anyway without sacrificing backpack.

You might squeeze 2x extra slots tops (pending on backpack).

Would be simpler to add belts and combat belts with additions of leg carriers or holsters if you need that extra space.

I understand scavenging better then most

In current state of game i can wear 2x or 4x shirt, 6x pants and 8x combat vest to carry everything i need to survive and combat.

With addition of improvised backpack, i can carry x20 slots of empty space for scavenging stuff for my friends, while remaining

well camouflaged, i could even drop out the combat vest and still have a lot of free space for anything.

I dont see how MOLLE could possibly be 1,5x or 2x bigger then regular combat vest anyway without sacrificing backpack.

You might squeeze 2x extra slots tops (pending on backpack).

Would be simpler to add belts and combat belts with additions of leg carriers or holsters if you need that extra space.

The requested design would only be a total of 4 slots larger than the standard combat vest currently and would take quite a while to collect the pouches required to fully fill one out. The idea surrounding this was in conjunction with two other inventory posts, One segregating pockets so combat vest would have a series of 1x2 Blocks to hold magazines, and the Subdivision of the existing squares to account for "real sizing" spaces.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/170056-more-realistic-inventory-management/?hl=inventory

and

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/164736-inventory-space-same-capacity-but-4x-number-of-squares/?hl=inventory

Respectively, those changes by themselves would be an improvement to gameplay mechanics and then gets users to think about how they're going to carry equipment and what is the best equipment to try to obtain for their play style. This will be a bit of trial and error at first which is good as that's what a lot of this title is to most people in the beginning.

Even without those changes this doesn't make it much different other than have the availability to customize the spaces you want in a myriad of ways. Also Molle Gear depending on your setup works well with having a pack on. Most Molle gear is also design to work with having a belt with additional pouches and leg drops as well.

I suggested the idea as a means of allowing people to customize themselves further. I don't think there is a relative balance issues associated with this, but changing the equip time for using the backpack vs vest vs holster would be beneficial to the overall experience in the game. Though all of this is just in my opinion.

Edited by DaedalRogue
  • Like 2