Sign in to follow this  
Ugly (DayZ)

More realistic inventory management

Hi there. First let me say I haven't used the search function 'cause i have no idea what to look fo

Flaw: The graphics of our clothing do not match the implementation of our inventory space

i.e. I can carry my handgun inside my Assault vest. Graphically, my assault vest has a number (8) of small pouches on it. This should to correspond to 8 invidivual 1x1 slots, where I could place things like cans of food or a compass.

The pistol (for example) takes up four slots (2x2), and is much too large to fit into one of the small 1x1 pockets. As there are no leg holsters (yet), realistically this leaves me the choice of 

a) carrying my handgun at all times (unrealistic)

B) wearing a chest holster, but without my vest (as it is now in game)

---edit- left that smiley face in for posterity.---

c) wearing my vest, and storing my handgun somewhere else (pant cargo pocket? backpack?)

I can also carry that yellow plastic Protective Case in my pants. Whaaat?! There is no way, according to the graphics of the pants on my character, that the case would fit in those pockets. It would never fit into any pants pocket.

Never having played the mod, I am not sure if this goes along with their future plans for the game, but implementing this system would go a long way towards determining what you can and cannot bring with you.

Please join the discussion :)

Edited by Ugly
  • Like 1

Vest and and holster should be worn at the same time, IMO. Or, build a vest with that slot already built it at chest level.

I feel you on this one, I try to pack realistically already in game, mags in the vest and so on, large items in the back pack but, when it comes to realism some items shouldn't be taking up on slot at all. One slot for a key for my hand cuffs, really, I can also stuff multiple pistols in my waist band of my jeans in real life, hell I can break down my shotgun or my 91/30 ( yes I have both IRL ) and fit them easily in my old A-frame back pack but from a game balance stand point, they're doing pretty well, gone are the days where you can cram another two weapons in your back pack and fit any roll you need, make due with what you have.

My two bits,

Creeper   

interesting point on keys taking up as much space as a compass or a pair of gloves. We could perhaps have a "misc: slot.

Yes stuff your pants with guns and run a little. Lets see what happens. Hopefully there not loaded. And taking things apart to fit in a bag is cool, just expect to have some timer to put it back together when trying to pull it out and use it.

Love this idea!

I like what the OP was saying, having slot specific clothing.

Like the vest can only carry 8 1x1 items, while a pair of cargo pants can fit 4 1x1's,front and back pockets, and 2 1x2's for the cargo pockets.

Checkered shirts can only carry 2, 1x1's. Leg holsters and a belt option for holding pistols in you belt.

This would be alot tougher to manage, but IMO way more realistic and would be alot of fun.

But honestly the way it is now is pretty good and definitely a foot in the right direction.

Hi there. First let me say I haven't used the search function 'cause i have no idea what to look fo

Flaw: The graphics of our clothing do not match the implementation of our inventory space

i.e. I can carry my handgun inside my Assault vest. Graphically, my assault vest has a number (8) of small pouches on it. This should to correspond to 8 invidivual 1x1 slots, where I could place things like cans of food or a compass.

The pistol (for example) takes up four slots (2x2), and is much too large to fit into one of the small 1x1 pockets. As there are no leg holsters (yet), realistically this leaves me the choice of 

a) carrying my handgun at all times (unrealistic)

B) wearing a chest holster, but without my vest (as it is now in game)

---edit- left that smiley face in for posterity.---

c) wearing my vest, and storing my handgun somewhere else (pant cargo pocket? backpack?)

I can also carry that yellow plastic Protective Case in my pants. Whaaat?! There is no way, according to the graphics of the pants on my character, that the case would fit in those pockets. It would never fit into any pants pocket.

Never having played the mod, I am not sure if this goes along with their future plans for the game, but implementing this system would go a long way towards determining what you can and cannot bring with you.

Please join the discussion :)

is a game, not real life man, there are zombies...zombies does not exists. I understand you want realism, but the virtual reality can allow only some of that realism, not 100%

I think this is a good realism idea but it also enhances gameplay. It makes the survival aspect tougher as your are more limited in what items you can carry as the pockets on gear are separated.  It would also allow for different gear setups so not everyone is going for the "best item" because it carries the most. Some vests could have deeper/wider pockets so like one vest has 8 1x2 slots and another could have 3 2x2 slots. If you want to carry a bunch of M4 magazines the first vest would be best but if you want to carry more medkits the second vest would be better. 

This, the subdivision post, and the molle gear post should all be rolled into one inventory overhaul.

This, the subdivision post, and the molle gear post should all be rolled into one inventory overhaul.

molle gear?

also, shameless bump