Sign in to follow this  
nickaepi

DAYZ Standalone VS. ARMA 2 MOD version

This is my 1st post here. I recently downloaded the ARMA 2 OA demo because of all the stuff I have read and heard about DayZ.  I enjoy Arma but after watching all the youtube videos of people playing DayZ, this looks amazing and would be a lot of fun to play. 

If I were to purchase Arma 2 Combined Operations from Steam, it says I can download DayZ mod for free. The combined price for Arma2, OA & Dayz Mod is 24.99.  If I just purchase DayZ standalone, it says it costs 29.99.  My question is this:

Isn't the DayZ mod and Standalone the same game, essentially? I can save 5 dollars, and get all 3 games for 25 bucks.  If not, what are the differences between the official DayZ mod and the standalone product?  Are they not going to support the official DayZ mod anymore, if I were only to get the ARMA2 package?  I'm confused on this.  

Essentially, I would like to have both games, Arma2 & DayZ but I don't want to buy the Arma package with the free mod and then have to "re-buy" DayZ standalone, at a full price, later on. 

Will the Mod keep getting updated like the Standalone?  Sorry for the long post.  Hopefully someone understands what I am asking and can give some insight. I don't want to make a purchase on either games until I am more informed.  Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

I was having the same situation as you are but then I decided to wait for the standalone to be available to buy. So far the mod is more complete and even has some amazing mods for it (modception) but the standalone, even though it is very early access, is still very enjoyable. I find it really interesting to play this while having the thrill of seeing all the stuff being brought into the game, patch after patch and seeing it grow and take shape!
It's like Xmas over and over again at random intervals ^_^

Isn't the DayZ mod and Standalone the same game, essentially?

It will probably be quite different. The mod is a mature guy just waiting for retirement. The SA is a newborn child learning to walk.

Do you want to play Arma 2 and it's respective missions and mods? If not, skip.

Are you interested in Arma 3? There's a DayZ-Mod for that too. Afaik more than one. And Wasteland looks like fun too.

No? You just want to play DayZ and nothing else? Get the SA...but be aware that it's still struggling to walk by itself.

• Like 2

So you have both the Mod AND the standalone?  It sounds like the standalone is going in a different direction than the Mod itself and the Mod won't be equal to the standalone version?  Is that correct?  I assume the Dev is putting all his efforts into the Standalone

If so, I guess I need to decide if I want to purchase Arma 2 and the required expansion, which is really the only way (that I am aware of) to "demo" what DayZ is really all about.  Then if I end up loving DayZ Mod, I would essentially have to purchase the Standalone, at some point.  Not trying to sound cheap just being efficient with my funds. 

Since SA is still very early doors the mod offers more, plus you have the advantage of being able to play ARMA which in it'self is a bloody great game once you get the hang of it.

I still prefer the mod over Standalone and i probably will for some time to come. 

Everything  you need to play DayZ Mod was just on sale for $6 on the humble bundle. :(

Thanks for the buzz kill. ;)  That would have been perfect.  I think I will go with Arma2 & OA and download free mod.  See if a sale pops up again. 

Thanks for all your input guys. Great forum here.

Edited by nickaepi

The mod is fun and I do enjoy the Mod within mod servers. 

The little time I do have for video games I am spending it on the SA.  But, I'm a long term gamer.  If I play a game more than 8 hours, I usually play it a year or 5.  So I like the know the as it develops and get used to the changes gradualy. 

The mod is way better, all my friends have ditched SA and gone back to the mod, I dunno how they managed to spend a year + making SA and it having less content... but whatever.

• Like 5

The mod is way better, all my friends have ditched SA and gone back to the mod, I dunno how they managed to spend a year + making SA and it having less content... but whatever.

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

Then you obviously haven't paid much attention to the development of the stand alone. It has never been about it having more content at the start in the first place. Having said that, I agree the mod is more enjoyable for now. There's tons of DayZ variants to be played with more guns, base building, vehicles and what not.. the mod is the full experience for now, but eventually the SA will hopefully bring us something nice too!

Thanks for the buzz kill. ;)  That would have been perfect.  I think I will go with Arma2 & OA and download free mod.  See if a sale pops up again. 

Thanks for all your input guys. Great forum here.

Stupid.....

get SA for 24 bucks buy ArmaCO when its on saIe for 5

if you now buy arma for 25 and Iater you Iike dayz so much that you want the SA it maybe costs 40 or 50 bucks then.

simpie math

Edited by Pain0815

Because the Iess content is much better and more in depth than any of the mod content.

better guns (not more but much better)

no cientside scripts (not much  hackers and scripters in sa)

much better inventory ans cIothing sys

better injury-bIood-heaIth system

a bit better pIayer controIs

chernarus cities have now aImost any buiiding open for pIayers and Ioot (mod-> few buiIdings per town onIy)

very fast comming patches in SA

future: vehicIes wiII be customizabIe Iike guns with diffrent parts for it

Edited by Pain0815
  • Like 1

Because the Iess content is much better and more in depth than any of the mod content.

chernarus cities have now aImost any buiiding open for pIayers and Ioot (mod-> few buiIdings per town onIy)

Yet it's worse in most ways...

- Melee is worse, people claim it is better, but it fucking sucks, they've just made it feel unresponsive and hard to hit anything

- The controls are the same.. I don't get why people claim they're different, they have that quick jump thing now, however it's hit or miss if it does the quick one or the slow one.

- The health system sucks, the mod is way better

- I'm indifferent to the inventory, to me they've just replaced one poor system with another

- Whitelisted servers sorted hackers, besides I rarely saw them in the mod any ways.

- Better guns? No... there is only like 3 and tbh they feel better in the mod.

The new server system is worse, there is never any loot around, the zombies are worse... in fact where are the zombies? There are no vehicles, far fewer items and performance is worse in SA than the mod, especially using Haswell's iGPU which most laptops use now. Weird how the Mod I get 20-30fps and the SA I get 8fps on it, I since bought 670 to tide me over as I didn't want to spend loads with Maxwell around the corner, I get such poor FPS on the SA. All this server bullshit they've done has been a waste, no one cares, the mod worked just fine, all it has done is made the game worse.

I don't get why there hasn't been any major patches since release, what is taking them so long? All the content is there, just put it back in! We need vehicles, just put flick the switch and put them there, I don't want them to be overhauled, so far all that has done is made things worse.

People say oh it's an alpha, well they already had a base game to build upon, SO WTF WENT WRONG?

I bet Dean is just laughing his way to the bank. 

• Like 4

- Melee is worse, people claim it is better, but it fucking sucks, they've just made it feel unresponsive and hard to hit anything

meIee in SA are way better than the mod meIees

- The controls are the same.. I don't get why people claim they're different, they have that quick jump thing now, however it's hit or miss if it does the quick one or the slow one.

they changed controis a bit and they removed coIIision inside buiIdings so   SA>mod

the mod heaIth sys sucks not the SA sys. you can abuse mod heaIth sys because there bIood is same as heaIth  sa>mod

- I'm indifferent to the inventory, to me they've just replaced one poor system with another

inventory is much much better and more thought out than the vaniIIa arma one   SA>mod

- Whitelisted servers sorted hackers, besides I rarely saw them in the mod any ways.

cIientside scripting is a probiem in arma 1+2+3 when it comes to pubIic games. its not possibIe anymore with the SA (privat hives are comming too SA>mod

dont count the number of guns you numnut.... SA wiII get much more content over time. but those guns which are in the game are much better....

you can switch parts, paint them, repair them and destroy them

in the SA i can have a m4 and use it with or without: (acog, ironsight, aimpoint, fIashIight, supressor and much more stuff)

in the mod i need to get 4-5 guns to do same

so you think mod is better? youre just funny

The new server system is worse, there is never any loot around, the zombies are worse... in fact where are the zombies? There are no vehicles, far fewer items and performance is worse in SA than the mod, especially using Haswell's iGPU which most laptops use now. Weird how the Mod I get 20-30fps and the SA I get 8fps on it, I since bought 670 to tide me over as I didn't want to spend loads with Maxwell around the corner, I get such poor FPS on the SA. All this server bullshit they've done has been a waste, no one cares, the mod worked just fine, all it has done is made the game worse.

because your shitty oId Iaptop dont work with SA makes it bad? get a pc and prob soIved...

I don't get why there hasn't been any major patches since release, what is taking them so long? All the content is there, just put it back in! We need vehicles, just put flick the switch and put them there, I don't want them to be overhauled, so far all that has done is made things worse.

i prefer an overhauI. more customizeabIe ones.

People say oh it's an alpha, well they already had a base game to build upon, SO WTF WENT WRONG?

yeah with cIientside scripting and aII kinds of arma content avaiabIe to scripters... youre just so stupid

i agree

You have no cIue what youre taIking about... Better shut up and dont taIk shit Iike this...

Edited by Pain0815
  • Like 2

Yeh... though everything I said was right and half your replies weren't even relevant to my statement.

• Like 1

exampIes?

no proof for your statements.

the mod sucks compared to SA if you compare the features both have!!! dont compare things which are not in the SA atm.

Sure SA has much Iess features but they wiII come and those features they have are better in the SA.

Answer those:

What makes injury sys better in the mod? You Iike abusing it by eat and regain bIood instant in fights?

Why Weapons are better in the mod? (not the number of arma guns just copied in! i mean cmpare the guns we have)

Why inventory is better?

You Iike movement in mod better with weapon coIIision inside?

You Iike the cIientside scripting where everyone can script anything in we have in arma?

IF YOU WANT just a copie and paste of the mod then stay with it.

I want those features be inside the code instead scripted inside a game which was never ment to be pIayed massive pvp.

I dont want cars for exampIe which just copied from arma to SA. When i can have customizeabIe ones. same for guns and cIothings.

Edited by Pain0815

You have no cIue what youre taIking about... Better shut up and dont taIk shit Iike this...

STFU kiddo, no one wants to hear your fanboy bullshit, people like you are the ones that will ruin the game once it becomes playable.

there's just no features enough in the game, quiet your ass down and wait (for a long time) for them to be released, then you come here again.

Sounds like you didnt even play the mod, you jumped on the standalone blindfolded by the hype and now wants to defend your precious game with all means possible.

@topic

Get the mod, there's MUCH more content in it for now. The SA wont rise that much in price, they're already charging WAY too much for the game.

wait for a year of updates then come back again, maybe it will be really good, maybe it'll be a mess, who knows...

But dont get the game for now, let it mature a bit.

Edited by lipemr
  • Like 3

As a person who plays the mod and standalone I'll share a bit of input.

Mod Pros:

• Various other mod variants with a lot more features (example: Epoch with it's trader system and base building)

• More weapons with realistic ballistics

• More zombies (re-spawning)

• More loot (re-spawning)

• A lot less buggy than the standalone 

• More players on a server

• Private hives (Great feeling to have your own server, speaking as a person who has co-owned two different DayZ servers)

Standalone Pros:

• Better performance

• Slightly better graphics

• Most buildings are enterable

• Character customization (clothing)

Right now I prefer the standalone mainly because of better performance, more enter-able buildings, and slightly better graphics, but I still play the DayZ mod variants.

Edited by CS14
  • Like 1

My replies in Green.

Oh yeah, because less is more, right?  Less content does not a game make.

Better?  Really?  Did you even play the mod?  The guns in SA are horrible.  They aren't accurate, the sounds are ridiculous, and the looks are half-assed.

Still hackers in SA, maybe not many, but there are some.  And there is still the issue of server hopping, ghosting to reposition on players who play legitimately, etc.  Private servers solved both of those last two problems. 

I'm neutral on the inventory system, but the inventory system in the Mod never bothered me.  To me forced people to make a choice on when to dig through their inventory because it wasn't fast.  So smart decision making was important.

Wait... a more complex health system and you say it's better?  I thought less was more based on your first statement.  Hypocritical much?  I don't care for the health system in SA, but I don't really care for the whole lack of hud either.

The player movement feels hokey and slowed down.  I've played better movements on games that were free.  Don't even get me started with melee... that is just horrible and hurts my eyes just to watch.

Whoopty-do... more buildings are enterable.  Doesn't help the lack of content and other problems associated with the game.

Anything that has actually helped the game?

All sounds wonderful and heavenly... but just because vehicles and guns become customizable doesn't mean the game will be better when character movements are bad, gun implementation is bad, etc.

Miffy is correct when he asks WTF went wrong when they delayed, reinvented, and then released a product that is worse than the mod.  When you already have a base to work from, why fix things that are not broke?

IMO Dean has taken what was a good idea and let it crash due to what they have released.

• Like 2

You do realise its PRE ALPHA right now? Let me repeat that for every ones benefit - PRE ALPHA. Its the Development version. Which has only been released because the more people on the servers, the easier it is to see issues and problems related to stability. We all know GTA5 online fucked up for the first few weeks because it wasnt able to handle the amount of people playing. Or in other words - UNSTABLE BUILD.

And again, the reason there have been few updates/patches so far is because the are working on stability. Once they have the architecture working 100%, THEN they will input more content. More content before its a stable build will just make it unplayable. It needs to be stable enough to handle the extra content being put in [more loot/zombies]. All the things in the mod will be added to SA when they are able to add it. [you wont always get a client side patch fyi, so little updates can be hard to notice. Like last week they added in more zombies, not alot more, but enough to notice.]

The SA, runs alot smoother for me [than the mod] on my GTX660m card, in a m17x, 6gb ram. This is a lower performing card than the GTX 670, so Its your laptop, or card setting that are the issue. Not the Game.

As for bugs, the Mod still has issues such as not being able to fit into a clearly open door way and glitch-y zombies. Bug wise, in the SA ive only encountered 2 after 100 hours of game time. The zombies can run through the walls in some areas, and emptying ammo out of boxes inside a ammo tin seems to destroy some of the ammo. This is LESS bugs than the mod. Well, since the last time i played the mod, and that was a couple months ago. {and yes, ive extensively played the mod, for more than a year]

Everything related to performance, [FPS, player movement, zombie movement, animations, and graphics] are all dependent on your system. if your system is set up correctly, there is no way you would think the mod runs, or feels better than the SA. The whole point of the SA, was to make dayz a less "clunky" experience, which is synonymous with the ARMA series.

To be honest, i was expected this PRE ALPHA version of the SA to be alot buggier than it is, and considering there are equal or less bugs in it at this stage compared to the mod which has been out for nearly 2 years, is pretty good in my books.

Dont forget a game must go through PRE ALPHA, ALPHA, and BETA testing before it is officially released. The public rarely gets to play a game in ALPHA stage, let alone PRE ALPHA.  

So in conclusion, dont listen to the people getting angry, or insulting others. The SA is FAR for finished, but will be everything the mod is, and more once done. [apart from cars and the gun list, it already is. Buy the mod if you are impatient, or have the cash to throw away. I personally would justt buy both. see for yourself. 

I recommend the mod for now, because Dayz SA is still really glitchy. Also because there are multiple dayz Mods like Origin, and more. All mod have more stuff like in dayz Origin you can bulid stuff. I got dayz stand alone it is really glitchy, wait for the full version to come \

out.

Edited by Hero_Time
  • Like 2