PaPaFrag

Exposure aka Hypothermia or Hyperthermia

In our pathfinder school we learned it is important to keep your core body temperature at 37° C (98.6° F).

Ok, kidding aside, this was already discussed in the DayZ Mod suggestions, so I wondered that it didn't make its way here, or I was simply too incompetent to use the search feature.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/59524-hypothermia-and-heat-packs/

According to survival gurus Cody Lundin and Dave Canterbury exposure is the biggest outdoor killer in the world.

My opinion is that DayZ SA should contribute to that.

HYPOTHERMIA

An interesting fact is that even exposure to temperatures, that are considered to be no big danger, can lead to symptoms of hypothermia and even be fatal. I heard that even 15° C (59°F) can put the body to stress and 5°C (41°F) can even lead to death - however only in rare cases.

I think in Chernarus+ hypothermia should be an issue. Unlikely to get hyperthermic in this climate. :D

On the gameplay side this would mean players have look for good clothes and keep warm.

Fascinating considering campers. Bandit snipers would freeze their asses off over time, Interesting. :P

Even mild hypothermia can involve shivering (careful snipers!) and diuresis (pee, loss of liquid -> need to drink faster).

So for rewarming it would be necessary to wear warmer clothes (cotton vs. syntethic), move more frequently (again, bad news for campers) or make a fire (funny, considering snipers again).

Moderate hypothermia is a real possibility in Chernarus, involving slow and labored movements accompanied by a stumbling pace and mild confusion. So players with these symptoms would look pretty much like... ZOMBIES! Only cleaner, of course - hopefully.

IMHO the paradoxical undressing in the final stages should be left out. I mean there are limits, or?

:facepalm:

• Like 3

I 100% agree with you that the elements should be a factor for infliction on health.  but with that we would need a lot of crafting to be ingenious with items to facilitate survival.

agreed. Also rain would make your clothes soaked if standing outside in the rain/storm. This would give raincoat a real purpose. Clothes would dry up over time, but you could accelerate it by drying them on campfire or something. Not sure would this get frustrating or "too realistic". Anyhow, if would courage players to look for shelter and move around.

More radical way to keep people moving could be toxic clouds roaming around, what you should avoid all costs unless having working gas mask. Dangerous animals too.

Anyhow some people play this game logging in to some sniper hill, shoot stuff and just lay there forever without a worry in the world.

My basic idea is to make camping & sniping expensive from the gameplay side.

So a wannabe sniper would have to get more equipment than currently necessary until he/she would be good to go.

Personally I have the feeling that sniping is currently too easy.

Toxic clouds or the need for warm up or excellent equipment would shift this equation.

Remark: I have not been sniped (yet).

I think because of my Counter Strike times I am aware of this.

I remember back then one good sniper in the enemy team could ruin your day.

:lol:

Yeah - these ideas are great but as you mentioned OP have been discussed previously. I think there is a place for hyperthermia in people running large distances (exercising skeletal muscle generates significant heat - the basis for shivering) with inadequate hydration and clothing that reduces evaporative and convective heat loss, but as you say hyperthermia should be the bigger killer, especially in Autumnal Chernarus and wet clothes.

Ps regarding snipers - I'm picking ghillie suits would be pretty warm but in that case should be problematic for overheating with lots of running for the reasons mentioned in my post above.

I think (hope) we'll eventually have this as there's already wet status for clothes.

Survival game without such a major aspect of surviving is only half of a survival game.

It shouldn't be a big danger on a sunny day but during windy or rainy day and ofcourse during night you should make sure to wear some warm and/or water proof clothing. Wet clothes suck body temperature very fast and if i remember right about 80-90% of body temperature exits from head,so don't forget to use some warm hat! :)

Fire should be necessity every once in a while,interesting addition could be possibility to make fire in houses as most of them seem to have a fireplace.

Also it should be opposite that too much of clothing while running in middle of day should dehydarate you faster.

p.s. I don't care for this to "punish" snipers,i just want more survival aspects.

Edited by K120
  • Like 1

The screen should go a cold blue as you dye from hypothermia. The stages of hypothermia are quite chilling (hah) to read, and should be implemented. Of course, being soaked should affect this, as heat will evaporate off of you no matter how cold you are. Also, the water makes your clothes into a better conductor of heat, meaning you lose more heat more quickly (ever noticed how a wet towel will burn you if you touch an oven, but a dry one won't?).

Weather which makes this more or less likely has to be around the corner in beta (devs please!?) and obviously snow and cold rain will make death more likely.

As for how to counter hypothermia, heat up quickly! Getting out of the cold into a warm space is important, but it is likely that the damage done to your cells will result in frostbite on your extremities. Unless this is treated effectively with painkillers and reheating, you will lose fingers/toes.

If this were implemented, wearing high quality gloves and boots would be key, as they keep the extremities warm and dry.

To my pleasure it HAS BEEN IMPLEMETED!

Hooray and chill well!

Edit:

Just died of hypothermia this morning.

Reprioritizing!

Edited by PaPaFrag
  • Like 1