wild_man

7 step to better books

some idea for improve books

#1 make book item you hold in hands and you read THIS MODEL not special overlay screen, rasie hands to hold book in front of face for read  :|

#2 make damage happen to text example edge of pages tearing maybe is badly damaged some pages missing this add value to pristine/worn copy ;)

#3 so you hold book in hand, scroll mouse for open/close book also next page/previous page select

#4 use zoom to look close for read and normal view give more awareness what happen around

#5 make freelook possible when you read :thumbsup:  :rolleyes:

#6 make so headtorch is good for read at night, I have vision of guys around fire in forest or maybe hide in some house and one guy read story using headtorch/gas lamp or light from fire in night times :D

#7 take knife cut some hole from centre of book make cavity for hide small things, maybe guys see book ignore and miss ammo or can opener or whatever is you try keep safe

book is great addition for dayz but is room for improve :P

more ideas from other members

capo - bookmark or option to mark page so is easy find where you stop last time

survivor_sabre - more short story and maybe some community story also somethings lighte for read

aP_Norris - burn books for keep warm and booby trap book

Edited by KoS
  • Like 13

Werd to all this.

I like free hand instead of free look, or both would be fine. Great to raise up book to read and lower to look around at surroundings. 

But yeah, while DayZ radio is an unknown I think something is needed for side entertainment specifically for squad play. 

There's so much downtime with squadplay, it'd be nice to chill and read a bit while waiting for my homies or whatnot.

• Like 1

How about allowing the community too send in stories and the like which might be featured in the game. I'm an aspiring writer and I would very much revel in the chance too have a short story published in the game.

Also, the books which I have seen in game so far have been rather intense reads which I don't think the average player would have much interest in. I presume this is because there is no copyright on them, but still...

Edited by Survivor_Sabre
  • Like 1

i like it. good idea. 

also i'd like to suggest a bookmark or dog-ear page option. It's a hassle trying to find the page you were on. 

• Like 1

This is some high development priority stuff we have here. I also want reading glasses in case my vision is blurred, so I can decipher the text on those (hopefully) blood-soiled pages.

And while books are already in, why not some old news papers from the last days of civilization, maybe to read reports depicting the progress of the apocalypse.

• Like 1

snip

snip

good idea I edit OP to include this

bookmark is excellent one maybe best one and very easy for implementing  :thumbsup:  :)

Bible hit insta kills the murdering devils? ....JK

Newspaper. Newspaper contains lots of information about zombies/ community warnings, biography of zombies on front page of every newspaper after outbreak, the later the copy the rarer it is but it also contains more recent and correct information.

Roll newspaper up as a joke zero damage weapon.

Cut eye holes in newspaper to be sneaky observer.

Books explaining medicine/ first aid, chopper controls, basic mechanical knowledge and stuff so that we can have realistic mini games and controls that will improve our real life knowledge while making us better at dayZ.

Burning books to stay warm, ripping books into scrap paper which could be used in sound suppressor or something.

Phonebook putting residents to addresses.

BIG BOOKS 2x2 cut it open and you can hide the little egg timer IED in there, or a handgun for the sneaky kind of player.

• Like 1

Oooh, how inhumane! A book mine. As if the mine wasn't already such a dastardly weapon. >=)

Also, I mentioned this in another thread, before also seeing it having been thrown about in a few other ones, but how about skill books too teach car/helicopter/other vehicle maintenance and use so not all the survivors seem too be mechanical geniuses who are capable of using a helicopter from the get-go. Then those books would have great value too, and would be worth trading/stealing.

Edited by Survivor_Sabre

Oooh, how inhumane! A book mine. As if the mine wasn't already such a dastardly weapon. >=)

Also, I mentioned this in another thread, before also seeing it having been thrown about in a few other ones, but how about skill books too teach car/helicopter/other vehicle maintenance and use so not all the survivors seem too be mechanical geniuses who are capable of using a helicopter from the get-go. Then those books would have great value too, and would be worth trading/stealing.

I was thinking the tasks being harder to perform themselves.

That way a small group might not have someone good with vehicles/ a decent enough pilot.

Book mine and newspaper came right into my head, didn't read any posts but original.

• Like 1

KoS u owe me more beanz.

ok if you say ;)

I paying debt but I don't remember why is :huh:

ok if you say ;)

I paying debt but I don't remember why is :huh:

You also forgot the debt tax tax.

You should be able to rip the pages and use then stuff them in your clothes to stay warm at night time, instead of an heat pack. An survival book would be good with tips to survive light how to keep a fire alight at night time, how to make a trap to catch a rabbit and how to catch a fish with your bare hands.. I really like the above ideas with holding the books and crafting a hole to place items in side for when people look in your backpack they could miss something small but is useful to you.

• Like 1

#7 take knife cut some hole from centre of book make cavity for hide small things, maybe guys see book ignore and miss ammo or can opener or whatever is you try keep safe

I like this one the best ! :D 

You sir have a beautiful mind full of beautiful ideas, kind of like Russel Crowe in that moofie, BUT YOURS ARE BETTER !  :beans:

Am i the only one that is reading this guys post with a christopter walken voice? xD love the spelling! :D

I think you may be the only one reading with the walken voice ^_^